Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can i get a decent camera for around $600. (total noob)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D40X, small as shit and takes nice photos. :)

Comment

Some other options to look into are the ILC cameras (interchangeable lens camera) They are small like a p&s camera, but allow for lens changes and full manual control. This could be a good stepping stone for you because I bet that you would like something a little simpler with more control for when you want to play and experiment.

Also look at the new DSLR's from Sony, if you go that route. HAve some good features worth exploring. Video continuous auto focus is pretty pimp status.

Link to ILC camera guide.

See the latest Gear & Reviews stories from Popular Photography. See news, trends, tips, reviews and more at Popular Photography.
      Originally posted by cabriodster87
      "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
      Originally posted by Kershaw
      i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

You can get a Rebel XT DSLR For 300-400 now with an 18-55mm lens. Takes great photos. Easy to operate. Cheap. More lenses than you can shake a stick at. GREAT Starter DSLR camera. My sig photo was taken with one for a good raw photo, and then post processing work.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

i have a sony NEX-3
          i highly recommend it

e24 e9 e30
          IG: peterkaczynski

Comment

Sony NX3 or my favorite pocket cam the Canon G-12.
            sigpic
            WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

Originally posted by teh_activ View Post
              i have a sony NEX-3
              i highly recommend it

i like these a lot

Comment

is the nex-3 a dslr. i also like how it aint so bulky. got anymore pics taken with this camera?

Comment

Originally posted by richardkeith97 View Post
                  is the nex-3 a dslr
                  kinda but no, its sony's answer to the micro 4/3's system of Olympus/Panasonic/Leica. Its a point and shoot sized and style body with the ability to swap lenses.

If you were to go this type of route I would be getting a Pan GF1 or GF2 because of the availability of Leica Produced glass as opposed to sony just licensing the Zeiss name for their up level glass. The 4/3's will let you run nearly any glass from any manufacturer with adapters but you lose metering and af and have to do that manually. But in any case the mirriorless have a long way to go when matching a traditional SLR. I would not want a electronic view finder any more (I have one on my old Minolta), I want to see what the lens sees in 100% real time.
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Nikon is the way to go!!!!

Comment

or cannon really. All the other stuff is just not there yet, when compared to a traditional pattern SLR
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Suspence View Post
                        D40X, small as shit and takes nice photos. :)
                        This. been using the D40X for 4+ years now and it's never let me down. The only way I'll upgrade to another camera is if I want the video mode option(hint *D5100* hint)

Here's some of my photos with the D40X. I bought it with an 18-55mm lens over 4 years ago for $650. They can be had for cheap online these days. They are limited to certain lenses but unless you're professional photographer, you won't notice it.

Originally posted by Ryan...
                        It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan...
                          It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

All my really good shots have been with a D40 with some ps for effect.

COTM

Comment

I got a nikkon d3100 for around $800 from bestbuy a few months ago. I spent a little more for the insurance, but I can completely destroy the thing and get a new one for free plus free annual cleanings. Came with the body, 2 lenses, a camera bag, and a few more accessories. It's been one of the best purchases I've made in a while. I'm sure you can get something similiar that isn't part of a package deal for around $600.

Comment

the only thing you are going to run into with Nikon 3100 and 5100 is a lack of A/F drive motor in the camera itself. You will be limited in the glass you can use if you want A/F to lenses that have the A/F drive built in to them.

William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X