Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
    I see dat rust free.....

it's a Rover.....in Washington state.... you can't be serious.
    It's true, Washington cars are for the most part rust free.

Comment

I'm bailing out of the RRC. Nothing wrong with it, just a mofo on gas. Looking at something similar, ie rugged, like an FJ80 or a 2000+ Tahoe. Wifey is going to kill me!

Comment

What do the RRC get for mpg, my P38 got 15ish and my discos got like 17ish.

Comment

factory specs are about 11/15. I think im at about 12.

Comment

Mine gets about 20 on a good day. 17 usually back and forth to work.

M52 ftw!
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Gas mileage is for little girls.
              1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Originally posted by quickervicar View Post
                I'm with you on the wiped cam lobes and bad electrical systems, but I'm not familiar with crankshafts flying out of the bottom end. And IMHO Rover cooling systems are quite good. (perhaps too good) It's the head gaskets and occasional leaky (aftermarket) water pump that seem to cause the trouble.
                Snapped cranks are the #1 cause of 4.2L motors going to the scrap yard.
                The cooling system issues may be more a result of owner negligence, as evidenced more on the Disco 1/2 head gasket failures.

The 12-14mpg of the RRC really makes it hard to envision using it for a skiing/cabin visiting vehicle.

I've been eying 4Runners and LC80's recently as an alternative. The LC's mpg is about as miserable. The 4Runner as least is half decent... almost as good as my Cherokee 4.0L (16-18mpg).
                Below the radar...

Comment

discos do get better mileage.
                  1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Going to look at an '89 RRC tomorrow morning..... looks like a pile but might be perfect for the project I have in mind
                    Also actively looking for a new Isuzu 4JB1T to swap in. Time to do some importing from China

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                    Bluebird Bus Conversion
                    New Oregon Trail

Comment

Originally posted by 5ickride View Post
                      I'm bailing out of the RRC. Nothing wrong with it, just a mofo on gas. Looking at something similar, ie rugged, like an FJ80 or a 2000+ Tahoe. Wifey is going to kill me!
                      An 80 series cruiser will get the same mileage. A 3FE potentially worse.
                      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                        Snapped cranks are the #1 cause of 4.2L motors going to the scrap yard.
                        The cooling system issues may be more a result of owner negligence, as evidenced more on the Disco 1/2 head gasket failures.

The 12-14mpg of the RRC really makes it hard to envision using it for a skiing/cabin visiting vehicle.

I've been eying 4Runners and LC80's recently as an alternative. The LC's mpg is about as miserable. The 4Runner as least is half decent... almost as good as my Cherokee 4.0L (16-18mpg).
                        The 4.2L was only available on the RRC LWB in the early '90s, IIRC. Far more documented issues with the 4.0 & 4.6 liners slipping than crank issues on the 4.2. In fact, a lot of guys prefer basing a performance build off the 4.2 over the 4.6

Careful with the 4Runners. Check for frame rot and bushing wear. LCs are nice, but the mileage figures will be a wash.

Comment

I read too the LWBs with the 4.2 got better MPG than the 3.9 in the SWB.

I unno, lol.

I replaced the brake piping on mine last night. The old stuff literally fell apart in my hands (this is the metal pipe, not the flexible lines). Took a half day at work but had this done in about an hour, including running to the store to get the lines.

I love working on these beasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                            An 80 series cruiser will get the same mileage. A 3FE potentially worse.
                            Damn, didnt know that. I thought they were better on gas but never confirmed it. I'll check the factory specs. What's "3FE"? Is that the chassis code for Tahoe 2000-2006? Thanks

Originally posted by quickervicar View Post
                            The 4.2L was only available on the RRC LWB in the early '90s, IIRC. Far more documented issues with the 4.0 & 4.6 liners slipping than crank issues on the 4.2. In fact, a lot of guys prefer basing a performance build off the 4.2 over the 4.6

Careful with the 4Runners. Check for frame rot and bushing wear. LCs are nice, but the mileage figures will be a wash.
                            I have the 4.2 on my 95 LWB.

Comment

Originally posted by 5ickride View Post
                              Damn, didnt know that. I thought they were better on gas but never confirmed it. I'll check the factory specs. What's "3FE"? Is that the chassis code for Tahoe 2000-2006? Thanks
                              A 3fe is the engine on the 91, 92 FJ80 cruisers. Single cam 4 litre with a mess of vacuum lines. In 93 they went to FZJ80 and got the much better 1fz-fe engine. 4.5 litre dual cam. If you were to get an 80 series cruiser, 93 and up are the better years.

I was dead set on a cruiser until I realized the one I wanted is out of my budget. So I bought my Disco, which is in my budget.
                              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

So, after replacing the line, I put fluid in it and was going to bleed it but it got dark and cold and I never got around to it. I went out the next day to do it and BAM! It ate all the fluid. A whole quart....gone! SRSLY?

I didn't see any (obvious) leaks. I'm like RVR PLS. I'm betting the assholeistic valve body, pump and everything is empty.

I'd love to find a way to ditch that booster system and run either hydro like in an e28 or normal vacuum boosted. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X