Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post

built around 1910-1915.
    it was shipped from florida on the second. should arrive on the 10th. i can't wait to take it apart and start restoring it.
    Cool stuff. My dad has been collecting American made shelf clocks (primarily) since the early 70s. Most of his (150+ clocks currently, 220+ at he peak of his collection) were made between 1830 and the turn of the 20th century.

He's a bit of an expert on them and has restored many of them and is occasionally sent to auctions by BIG players in the market to appraise/assess clocks they are considering purchasing.

Enjoy! Old clocks are cool as shit!

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
    Sounds like you need a massage.
    Originally posted by kpeng
    Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
      Cool stuff. My dad has been collecting American made shelf clocks (primarily) since the early 70s. Most of his (150+ clocks currently, 220+ at he peak of his collection) were made between 1830 and the turn of the 20th century.

He's a bit of an expert on them and has restored many of them and is occasionally sent to auctions by BIG players in the market to appraise/assess clocks they are considering purchasing.

Enjoy! Old clocks are cool as shit!
      That's awesome! I'm guessing your dad's early shelf clocks you mention are weight driven generally?

I've started getting into antique clocks over the last year or two. We have 3 or 4 mantle clocks, 3 or 4 wall clocks and 4 grandfathers. I have taken all of them apart, cleaned, oiled, and adjusted. In some cases, i've had to replace bushings too.

It is truly amazing how cheap grandfather clocks are now days. They have come down exponentially in the last ten years. You still see people trying to get decade ago prices for them, but they just sit on the market. The hall clock above is pretty rare. It's an 11 tube movement that plays four different tunes, but none are Westminster.

I bet if you show this to your dad, he'll know what it is.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by flyboyx; 08-08-2017, 06:36 AM.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Feeding the lambic addiction
        Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Wow - those grandfather clocks are so cool. That's awesome stuff. I'm sure most people don't understand how awesome they are, or the tech that went into them to make them accurate(the device name escapes me at the moment). They were also almost a status symbol at one point IIRC.

Most of his (150+ clocks currently, 220+ at he peak of his collection)
          Are you sure your Dad isn't Emmett Brown?

Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
            That's awesome! I'm guessing your dad's early shelf clocks you mention are weight driven generally?

I've started getting into antique clocks over the last year or two. We have 3 or 4 mantle clocks, 3 or 4 wall clocks and 4 grandfathers. I have taken all of them apart, cleaned, oiled, and adjusted. In some cases, i've had to replace bushings too.

I bet if you show this to your dad, he'll know what it is.
            The vast majority of his are indeed weight driven. Aside from the shelf clocks, he has a few wall clocks, including a published Banjo (in some big time clock book), a couple of cuckoos, several mantle, but no grandfathers.

It all started for him with a random old clock he bought in grad school, decided to take it apart and restore it and the rest is history. He has restored/repaired mechanisms, wood finish and even painted a few glasses.

Over the years he's made a number of home made 'tools' for specific antique clock tinkering tasks that go along with his stockpile of parts, weights, etc. When I was a kid he'd stay up literally all night fixing whatever his latest purchase was. A few times he set all 200+ to go off at midnight on NYE - fun and loud...but about 6 hours of work ha.

I just sent that pic to my dad - will report back!

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
            Sounds like you need a massage.
            Originally posted by kpeng
            Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Tool to rotate the engine over on my m30 car to adjust valves. I can't get a socket on the crank nut so i had to but this. Not a fan of bumping the starter or cranking on the alternator to turn it over. Can also use it on single row m10's

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Saw to cut the trunk & behind the back seat for Lukebox install.
                IMG_9456 by phled1, on Flickr

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

After searching craigslist, I decided buying this on sale for $600 was the best route.

It's a little floppy and the mesh floor sucks, but after I weld in some reinforcements to get rid of the single bar hitch and bolt some wood down, should be good to go.

Also, new subfloor and cement board for the bathroom. There's been a few times since buying a home that a trailer would have been handy. This time I decided to buy one because I didn't trust cement board being strapped to the roof of the 4runner. Also, 4x8 sheets of OSB probably wouldn't like it either.

IMG_20170809_191134164 by Exodus_2pt0, on Flickr
                  No E30 Club
                  Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                  Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

My e39 started to sound like it was powered by a hamster that smoked some pcp on an antique hamster wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                      After searching craigslist, I decided buying this on sale for $600 was the best route.

It's a little floppy and the mesh floor sucks, but after I weld in some reinforcements to get rid of the single bar hitch and bolt some wood down, should be good to go.

Also, new subfloor and cement board for the bathroom. There's been a few times since buying a home that a trailer would have been handy. This time I decided to buy one because I didn't trust cement board being strapped to the roof of the 4runner. Also, 4x8 sheets of OSB probably wouldn't like it either.

IMG_20170809_191134164 by Exodus_2pt0, on Flickr
                      are you planning to use that osb on your subfloor? it will be an improvement over your particle board but cdx would be a hell of a lot better than both...it may cost a few dollars more but WELL worth it imo if you have another leak. just sayin'....
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Yeah I kind of weighed it out and went with the osb as a mid option. I'm going to take care of all the plumbing in the bathroom so I hope I don't have another leak any time soon! From my little bit of research, osb today is supposed to be better than plywood from yesterday.

I'm also going to be monitoring things a bit more closely from here on out, including installing lights in the crawl space when I replace the insulation next spring. To aid in detecting leaks before they turn into an all out open hose situation.

Side note, went with my father in laws recommendation on 23/32 panel and 1/2" cement board. Should be nice and solid.
                        No E30 Club
                        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

it should work just fine.

hopefully, your finished floor will line up well with whatever floor you have outside of the bathroom. thats what i would base my material selection on. if you have carpet in the hallway, consider the fact that you might change it out one day for laminate/wood/porcelain tile.

personally, if it were my house, i wouldn't consider anything other than 3/4"(well 23/32" now days) or thicker cdx ply. i would just use 1/4" hardiebacker. thats all you need on the floor. just make sure to install screws in a grid pattern every 6" or so. the half inch cement board is usually used on walls to match the thickness of sheetrock.

by the way, if you have never worked with hardie before, you are in for an education. its a bitch trying to drive screws through that cement board. its a dirty whore trying to cut that stuff too. stick with it though. the results will be worth it in the end.

these are what i use that make the job about 10x easier: i know its not like you are going to go out and blow 700 bucks on tools for this little project.

while you are working with that material and cussing up a storm, you can at least know that someone put the effort into making it easier for sub contractors.

this one is for cutting:

this one is for screwing:
                          The Simpson PRO250G2D25K auto-feed subfloor system features a DeWalt 2500 rpm screwdriver motor and makes the installation of subfloor quick and easy. Limited lifetime warranty on attachment and extension, 1 year limited warranty on screwdriver motors (see specific manufacturer's warranty for more information). The PRO
                          Last edited by flyboyx; 08-09-2017, 06:41 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Yeah the floor I pulled up was 1" particle, and 1/4" board. Figure this should get me closest to the original setup.

The plan is for me to get the wood down, and my FIL is going to come down to help me with the board and tiles. Luckily he does this stuff for a living so he's bringing the tools. After what you said, It sounds like that will save me a large headache and my wallet.
                            No E30 Club

Comment

Been patiently waiting to post this and i finally will

2002 Ford f350 dually only has 70k on it with a fifth wheel hitch and air ride suspension. She's built for hauling

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

damn! nice truck! i see you had the foresight to get an older 7.3. looks like it probably has low miles? has it had the tranny redone?

i'm still rollin' in my 99 f350 single rear wheel. I've had it 12 years now
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X