Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hence why I will be forever disappointed

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Some day.

PC setup actually fit in dorm room desk.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

Well, I am done with shitty ethernet/wifi in the house, so I just wired up my house for 3 Ubiquitiy UAP Pros in the ceilings, and one Outdoor+ on the garage. Setup a PFSense box for routing/firewall/proxy and threat management.

It is SO nice to be done with DD-WRT, have stable networking with the advanced features.

I followed this build for my router and it is pretty epic:
        https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=94399.0

Comment

So im confused, you installed DDWRT? Or you hated it and switched? Because DDWRT is actually pretty decent compared to the shit software that comes on routers stock.

If the government has their way you want be able to change the software in the future anyway....
          willschnitz

Comment

what am I looking at here? home built router with open source firmware?

I hate wireless routers. I always have. Even the best ones are flakey and they're never as fast as they advertise. I got one of the best rated/value ones last year and it's definitely an improvement but the reception downstairs is poor and I still have to restart it fairly often. When we redo the siding of our house, I was planning on running some cat-10 through the walls and ditch the stupid wireless.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              what am I looking at here? home built router with open source firmware?

I hate wireless routers. I always have. Even the best ones are flakey and they're never as fast as they advertise. I got one of the best rated/value ones last year and it's definitely an improvement but the reception downstairs is poor and I still have to restart it fairly often. When we redo the siding of our house, I was planning on running some cat-10 through the walls and ditch the stupid wireless.
              Cat10, dude you running enterprise servers in your house? or planning on staying there for 20 years? Actually where are you going to get it, only found like one site with it.

At the rate that ISPs adopt tech we wont see anything requiring it for years, and from what ive read it doesnt work in lengths over 12M or so.

Cat6 does 10gb/s fine.

On the router side I agree, i think half of the problem is requirements of ISPs. The best thing I did before is put DDWRT on a Netgear and never had a problem. Where the included or stock software router would always go down.
              willschnitz

Comment

sorry, yeah I didn't mean cat10. I honestly haven't paid much attention to this stuff in a long time, except being annoyed that the $100 switch I had 15 years ago performed better than the wireless router I have now.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

SFP+ is the common 10gb connection in a datacenter
                  QSFP+ is what I work with at work and thats just 4 SFP+ = 40gb.. 100gb is 10 SFP+ ect ect

QSFP+ on the right & 4 SFP+ on the left.. Cost effective its not worth it in a household. Just go with gigabyte and cat5 throughout. 10gb has issues over long cables so you would have to run fiber in your walls and the price just went way up

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    sorry, yeah I didn't mean cat10. I honestly haven't paid much attention to this stuff in a long time, except being annoyed that the $100 switch I had 15 years ago performed better than the wireless router I have now.
                    Yeah Cat6 is pretty much the standard now. No ISP will provide anything over 10gb/s in the near future, nor does anyone have the capability sans google.
                    willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                      Yeah Cat6 is pretty much the standard now. No ISP will provide anything over 10gb/s in the near future, nor does anyone have the capability sans google.
                      Cat5 is still the king of home ethernet. The cost of a cat6 switch is insane. I have a few Dell N4064's that do Cat6 10gb but they cost over 8000$ each

If you are looking to play around with a Layer3 switch than I recommend you use a spare PC/HD and install PFsense on it.

Comment

I hate you guys. I am currently stuck with university provided <8Mb/s shoddy Internet.

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                          I hate you guys. I am currently stuck with university provided <8Mb/s shoddy Internet.
                          Its that bad? I think I get 50-150mb/s Down but the ping is atrocious.
                          willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                            Its that bad? I think I get 50-150mb/s Down but the ping is atrocious.
                            Yeah it's terrible. Ping is shit, too. I don't understand why it is so bad. On campus is perfectly fine, but at my place it blows.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                              Yeah it's terrible. Ping is shit, too. I don't understand why it is so bad. On campus is perfectly fine, but at my place it blows.
                              Home cable internet is shared between you and your neighbors.. So blame that neighbor downloading all that pron

Comment

The major delta between the speeds I'm getting right now in class and the speeds I get in my room is what pisses me off.
                                Last edited by lambo; 09-09-2015, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X