Computer thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by george graves View Post
    Just noticed that SSD's prcies took another dip down. 250 GB is only $60, $150 gets you 500 GB. So worth it at that price.
    SSD Prices are getting low here in the UK too!

It won't be long before people (including me and my mates) are running PC's with completely solid state storage!

Also, I bought myself a GTX 980!

i7 3770k
    8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
    EVGA GTX 980
    Samsung 840 Pro 240GB SSD (Boot Drive)
    WD 1TB Media Drive
    Seasonic G-550 Gold
    Enermax 120mm Liquid Cooler

All looks quite pretty sitting on a Asus V Gene wrapped up in a Fractal Node 804! :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by MouseRat View Post

It won't be long before people (including me and my mates) are running PC's with completely solid state storage!

i7 3770k
      8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
      EVGA GTX 980
      Samsung 840 Pro 240GB SSD (Boot Drive)
      WD 1TB Media Drive
      Seasonic G-550 Gold
      Enermax 120mm Liquid Cooler

All looks quite pretty sitting on a Asus V Gene wrapped up in a Fractal Node 804! :devil:
      Nice PC. Very nice really.

You've got more money it than many here have in their E30's.
      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
      -----------------------------------------
      91 318is Turbo Sold
      87 325 Daily driver Sold
      06 4.8is X5
      06 Mtec X3
      05 4.4i X5 Sold
      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
      90 325i Sold
      97 328is Sold
      01 323ci Sold
      92 325i Sold
      83 528e Totaled
      98 328i Sold
      93 325i Sold

Comment

anyone have any luck buying CPUs off of ebay? was thinking of upgrading to a i7 non K since my mobo cant overclock anyway just dont wanna get effed over and ebay is generally a grey area when it comes to that.

Comment

Originally posted by MouseRat View Post

Nice! I wish my EVGA 980 had the ACX 2.0 cooler

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
            Nice PC. Very nice really.

You've got more money it than many here have in their E30's.
            Thank you! It's at a point where I won't need to mess with it for a good few years now. (the same cannot be said for my 318is).

Originally posted by lambo View Post
            Nice! I wish my EVGA 980 had the ACX 2.0 cooler
            It keeps temps nice and low, but I do have some coil whine unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
              anyone have any luck buying CPUs off of ebay? was thinking of upgrading to a i7 non K since my mobo cant overclock anyway just dont wanna get effed over and ebay is generally a grey area when it comes to that.
              I sold my old phenom ii on eBay with the motherboard and people bid on it like it was crack.

I imagine you will have a hard time with competition. I got the feeling that small computer shops are buying outdated but high end parts to put together entry level machines. Buying second hand parts off eBay would be a great way to turn a profit on such, and you could offer your own warranty to negate the used part.

Just a hunch though. Every time I've refreshed my system the old parts have sold without any hassle.
              No E30 Club
              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Good to know I'm planning on picking up a 3rd Gen i7 so hopefully they will be at a decent price now

Comment

I have a question, hoping someone can help.

I built a PC a few years back with a 500GB HDD. It's running Windows 7 Pro. I recently got a 120GB SSD, so I removed the HDD, installed the SSD, and installed my copy of 7 on it, used the same activation key, then upgraded to 10 right away. I then installed all of my programs/apps on the SSD as well, with the intention of only using the old HDD for file storage.

My question is, will there be any issues when reinstalling the HDD, since it has Windows 7 on it? I'd set the boot order to go to the SSD before the HDD obviously. Beyond that, is it possible to retain Windows 7 on the HDD and actually boot from that, if I needed to for some reason? Or would that cause issues, either within the OS itself, or with Microsoft since I am using the same activation key on both drives? Or am I better off just formatting the HDD? I have everything backed up to an external USB drive, so it's not a huge deal.
                  85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                  e30 restoration and V8 swap
                  24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

You shouldn't have a boot issue if the SSD is setup first in the boot order. If you own the windows 7 activation key and you already installed it and have everything working on your SSD, I would personally just format the HDD, rename it D: and start storing your data on there.

If you really want to play it safe what you can do is make an disk imagine of that old HDD and save the file to your back USB HDD. That way if you ever wanted or needed to you can clone that disk imagine on a new HDD.
                    -Dee
                    5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                    IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Easiest way I think would have been to move all your files from your hdd to a backup drive. Then wipe the hdd install ssd with boot and move your old files back to the hdd from your backup drive.

If you leave win7 on your old hdd though as long as the SSD is set up for boot you wont have any problems. At least I didnt when I ran it that way.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                      DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                        Easiest way I think would have been to move all your files from your hdd to a backup drive. Then wipe the hdd install ssd with boot and move your old files back to the hdd from your backup drive.
                        That's what I ended up doing. That SSD is fast! Windows 10 is fast too, it boots in no time on an SSD. Glad prices finally dropped enough on them to make it worth it. $40 for 120GB.

Although my buddy just got one of those new Samsung NVME hard drives, the read and write speeds are about 10x faster then my SSD haha. And it's insane how small they are.

Comment

Anyone here using an m.2 SSD? Thinking of upgrading with all the speed hype over Sata

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                            Anyone here using an m.2 SSD? Thinking of upgrading with all the speed hype over Sata

That's what the NVME drive is that I mentioned in the post above yours. It's ~5 times faster then most SATA III SSD's.

Guess it would depend on what you're doing, if you'll even be able to notice the difference though. Big file transfers would be quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                              That's what the NVME drive is that I mentioned in the post above yours. It's ~5 times faster then most SATA III SSD's.

Guess it would depend on what you're doing, if you'll even be able to notice the difference though. Big file transfers would be quicker.

Where did you pick it up at? Is it PCI 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                                Where did you pick it up at? Is it PCI 3.0

He got it at newegg.

Comment

Working...