No announcement yet.

Computer thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just make sure your board has an M2 slot.

Comment

Intel PCI SSD > Samsung.

But thats just me, Even though I have a normal samsung 840 EVO SSD lol.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
        That's what I ended up doing. That SSD is fast! Windows 10 is fast too, it boots in no time on an SSD. Glad prices finally dropped enough on them to make it worth it. $40 for 120GB.

Although my buddy just got one of those new Samsung NVME hard drives, the read and write speeds are about 10x faster then my SSD haha. And it's insane how small they are.
        Do you have a really shitty ssd or something?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

yeah more like 2x unless your SSD was made in someones garage.
          willschnitz

Comment

nice PC builds you got here

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
              Do you have a really shitty ssd or something?
              Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
              yeah more like 2x unless your SSD was made in someones garage.
              Shitty compared to, say, a Samsung 850 evo, yes. Advertised ~500/500 read/write, I'm only seeing about 250/250. After reading into it, Kingston apparently changed some parts on the drive to save money, hence the price drop ($40 for 120GB). Still an upgrade over my old HDD, and for what I do, plenty fast enough.

The Samsung 950 nvme is 2500/1500. So, about 10x faster then mine, and about 5x faster then the best SATA SSD's.
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

The start of my PC/Hackntosh build. Rest should be here Saturday.

Last edited by ST1G; 01-14-2016, 02:08 PM.

Comment

i didnt know Macs had a manual transmission. i should replace the clutch in mine too.

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
                    i didnt know Macs had a manual transmission. i should replace the clutch in mine too.
                    Should do a lightweight flywheel too. Revs up quicker so you can get to a higher processes per second more quickly. Also, the lighter the weight, the less the power supply has to work.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                      Should do a lightweight flywheel too. Revs up quicker so you can get to a higher processes per second more quickly. Also, the lighter the weight, the less the power supply has to work.
                      Bruh. I got the turbo power supply, with low friction bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                        Bruh. I got the turbo power supply, with low friction bearings.
                        i personally would do a supercharger, that turbo lag might cause a frame rate spike and make you miss shots in intense PvP matches...

Comment

LN2 is the N2O of the computer world. ;)

Comment

Picked up a thinkpad t420 on ebay for under $150 shipped last week. 6 gigs, i5, business machine - legit win 7 pro sticker. I just can't see paying for a new laptop when these old workhorses are so cheap.

Relegated my old t60 to 3d printing duty only.

The start of my PC/Hackntosh build.
                            I've played with Osx86, but it's sooo finicky. Granted that was 2-3 year ago last time I tried. Too many crashes.
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

"old" T series laptops are awesome.
                              willschnitz

Comment

The start of my PC/Hackntosh build. Rest should be here Saturday.
                                cool, what will the specs be on this when done?? I've been debating about building a new desktop to dual boot osx and windows since I've been do a lot more demanding things for school like autocad, inventor, ect. My current desktop is kinda on its way out. One of the ram slots on the board crapped out so I only have a 4GB stick in it, no graphics card, and the AMD processor in it isn't great either.

I have an old Dell xps m1530 that's running osx 10.10 currently everything works on it perfectly. I must have started to play with hackintosh stuff 5+ years ago in high school and had 10.6 working great. Definitely a fun project. Plus it's really nice to have osx for photo editing stuff which was the main reason I did it.

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                                I've played with Osx86, but it's sooo finicky. Granted that was 2-3 year ago last time I tried. Too many crashes.
                                hackintosh has come a long way since I started to mess around with it. It's gotten a lot easier and more reliable from when I started to mess with it. It's pretty funny building a computer almost twice as fast for half the cost of an Imac and still running osx.
                                -Dee
                                5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                                IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Working...
                                X