Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
    Spent the last few days at a professional conference and now I have a job offer from someone I met at the conference, and I think I'm going to take it.

Any of you guys ever been 'poached'? I'm curious to hear what the best way to go about leaving my current job without burning bridges since all of this unfolded while I was traveling and selling for my current employer.

If you were already thinking about leaving, it wouldn’t have mattered if you met them traveling or through LinkedIn or on R3V or whatever...you were leaving anyway.

Before you split though, make sure you’re taking off for the right reasons and this actually moves you ahead in a way your current employer can’t / won’t. It’s flattering to get poached but it can also serve as a means to get what you want from your current job if something’s lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
    The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
    The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
    The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

^agree
      1990 325is
      m52b28
      3.73lsd
      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

I have been looking for an out for a few months - my current employer notoriously promises the world and never delivers, or gives you the 'well, in a few months...."

The guy who wants to poach me is the CEO/owner, he told me "you don't make nearly enough money. Come work for me and I will help you make a fuck ton of money"...I did some research, and this dude knows how to make cash hand over fist and has a very impressive background.

We talked a lot, had a follow up meeting and I've been talking to others at his firm, seems like a no brainer.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
        Sounds like you need a massage.
        Originally posted by kpeng
        Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

I have been looking for an out for a few months - my current employer notoriously promises the world and never delivers, or gives you the 'well, in a few months...."

The guy who wants to poach me is the CEO/owner, he told me "you don't make nearly enough money. Come work for me and I will help you make a fuck ton of money"...I did some research, and this dude knows how to make cash hand over fist and has a very impressive background.

We talked a lot, had a follow up meeting and I've been talking to others at his firm, seems like a no brainer.

Cool. Obviously I don’t know your specific situation, but if the CEO is someone known in your industry and is reputable / ethical, the product and company are solid and can deliver on a sale with a quality product in a timely way (not always a given!!) and they offer the opportunity to grow and make bank while doing it...

On the other hand, if it smells funny or seems odd, ask a shit ton more questions and be skeptical as hell. My guess is something doesn’t quite add up here and it feels “weird” even if it’s a no-brainer on the surface. Don’t ignore that.

Also, be ready to tell your current employer what you want in case the counter when you leave.

Just $0.02 from an old(ish) dude on a BMW forum :)

Comment

Originally posted by majdomo View Post
            On the other hand, if it smells funny or seems odd, ask a shit ton more questions and be skeptical as hell. My guess is something doesn’t quite add up here and it feels “weird” even if it’s a no-brainer on the surface. Don’t ignore that.

Also, be ready to tell your current employer what you want in case the counter when you leave.

Just $0.02 from an old(ish) dude on a BMW forum :)
            I completely agree and had the same thought. I've been talking to someone who works for him directly, and he seems to be a straight shooter and was really praising the CEO for turning the company around and doing right by his people...that said I am having a call with them tonight and plan to ask a LOT of questions.

Thanks for the $0.02, ya old BMW dude ;)

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
            Sounds like you need a massage.
            Originally posted by kpeng
            Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

I completely agree and had the same thought. I've been talking to someone who works for him directly, and he seems to be a straight shooter and was really praising the CEO for turning the company around and doing right by his people...that said I am having a call with them tonight and plan to ask a LOT of questions.

Thanks for the $0.02, ya old BMW dude ;)

Nice and good luck!!

Ok, going to go take a nap.

Comment

Good luck Joe!
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Does anyone know how to replace m30 valve springs in the car??

Comment

The best advice I ever got when leaving a position was to write everything (suppliers, current project status, etc...) down into a well organized binder to give them when you resign. This will show that you dont want to leave them high and dry, and it will allow them to transition to a new person easier...and in the long run they look back on you with positivity since this isn't something that people do very often when leaving their positions.
                    Steve • Toronto
                    1991 318is • Brillantrot
                    Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                      Does anyone know how to replace m30 valve springs in the car??

Use the rope trick. Pull the plug, push rope in the cyl with the piston down, rotate the engine until the rope stops up the valve then use one of those retainler removing tool that clamps the spring from the top (http://www.gearwrench.com/MagentoSha..._FRNT_MAIN.jpg). Nice thing about the m30 is it has 4 rocker shafts, so if it's a front cyl, shouldn't be too bad. If you have an A/C condenser, lift/jack the motor up so the shaft clears the top of the radiator support. If the head is old and cruddy, might be a pain, but if it's been rebuilt in the last few years and you change your oil often, it "should" come apart fairly easily.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

i see i see.

So stuff rope down the thing and rotate so the rape gets smashed and holds the valve from dropping.

one of my spare heads needs a new cam and rockers because i tried to pound out the cam and couldn't figure out how to remove the shafts. 4 u say?

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                          i see i see.

So stuff rope down the thing and rotate so the rape gets smashed and holds the valve from dropping.

one of my spare heads needs a new cam and rockers because i tried to pound out the cam and couldn't figure out how to remove the shafts. 4 u say?

Exhaust front/rear, intake front/rear, parts #1 and 3...

To get the shafts out, you have to slide the rocker to the side away from the black washer looking thingy (compress the rocker spring) and it hides a little c-clip. Take the clips off and the rocker shafts will slide out once you get the cam oriented so all the rockers on that shaft are slack.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Going on day 4 of no communication from the mechanic...

I called yesterday just to see how things are going, was told that they would contact me when they have something...ok...
                            1990 325is
                            m52b28
                            3.73lsd

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                              Going on day 4 of no communication from the mechanic...

I called yesterday just to see how things are going, was told that they would contact me when they have something...ok...

That sucks.

Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                              Q
                              :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

The only reason I called is the wife was pushing me to call them for an update. I was content to just wait till they call me...but something about it would have been nice...
                                1990 325is
                                m52b28
                                3.73lsd

Comment

Working...
                                X