2003 330i terrifying vibrations at 65.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stiggy
    replied
    Throwing another dollar on the pile. I'm betting it's tires out of balance / out of round.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Huh. Didn't even think of a busted belt in the tire. They are getting pretty cupped. Car needs an alignment hardcore but I never get the car to work since the gf drives it 100 miles a day.

    Ill try to throw it on the lift tomorrow and see if I can see anything obvious going on under it. This thing has been driving me nuts lately.

    Leave a comment:


  • vert_this
    replied
    yeah I go with a busted belt in a tire too..

    Leave a comment:


  • dannyyisntt
    replied
    Your car is having cocaine withdrawals

    Leave a comment:


  • Mlarsen
    replied
    I bet you 5 bucks it's a seperated tire.

    Leave a comment:


  • Swanny
    replied
    Originally posted by Kershaw
    if it's starting to rip apart, the resonance could easily make it shudder at certain speeds.
    Yeah MAJOR fail in the rear subframe mounting points. But kinda sounds like a wheel balance/ tire issue. Just had a set of tires delaminate on me and that was a blast to find out.

    Swap your wheels and see whats up?

    Leave a comment:


  • trippmann
    replied
    check your tie rods, i had a shudder around that speed and when i replaced mine it went away completely.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kershaw
    replied
    if it's starting to rip apart, the resonance could easily make it shudder at certain speeds.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ratbastage
    replied
    As in death wobble in the wheel?

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    I thought that was just a huge clunk on hard takeoffs? No clunking going on. Just a death shudder at 65. Goes away at 70.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kershaw
    replied
    rear subframe?

    dont e46s have a massive failure point in the trunk/rear subframe mounting location? for it to be fixed, plates have to be welded in.

    don't die. park it until you figure it.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    started a topic 2003 330i terrifying vibrations at 65.

    2003 330i terrifying vibrations at 65.

    Seriously. Feels like the car is going to fucking fly apart. It's got 150k highway miles. 5sp car. Sometimes it does it taking off into a turn in 2nd gear but not always.

    I'm at a loss. Guibo? Ball joints? I just did the lollipops. Car is basically fine until you hit 65 then it's death.
Working...