No announcement yet.

Acceptable and Unacceptable Harbor Freight Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ I have one that I have used at least 15 times with motors (6cyl. and 4cyl.) and have had no issues whatsoever!
    Given you do need to soak it in either air tool oil or WD-40 to be able to crank it with a load on it.

Am I the only one who soaks cheap tools in oil and then they work okay? Had a pop rivet gun from HF, never released the shaft of the rivet. Got plenty of air tool oil in it and now it works like a charm!

Comment

Originally posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
      Am I the only one who soaks cheap tools in oil and then they work okay? Had a pop rivet gun from HF, never released the shaft of the rivet. Got plenty of air tool oil in it and now it works like a charm!
      I'll keep this in mind...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
        I have been eyeing that at HF for a long time now. The long version of that wrench is like $30 though, but it has all the features I need: Length for torque, extremely low profile (which is super important sometimes), swiveling heads, and both 1/4 and 3/8 drives so I don't have to keep switching wrenches. heck, I would just keep a 10mm socket on the 1/4 side at all times.

uh-oh. I bought one of these and haven't used it yet. What exactly failed on yours?
        DEFINITELY picking up that wrench. I have the load leveler and had no problem monkeying around an M20 to get onto a HF 1000lbs engine stand (seriously spend the extra 10 bucks and get the 1000 over the 750).

Who has their rolling boxes? I know FrankM has a great set up but it's their higher end set. Anyone have experience with the sub $300 boxes? I'm in dire need to tool organization especially with my engine build slowly coming along.
        Swanny!
        SUCKERS.

Comment

Love this:

Comment

Surprised no one has mentioned their shop presses.....they are horrible. The frames flex with very little pressure and there is no room to fit anything under it anyway. Someone with even basic welding skills can make a better one with some steel stock and a bottle jack.

I had one of their drills shock the shit out of me and catch fire right in my hand...I'm lucky that thing didn't kill me. :p

Other than that, they always have cool stuff that no one else has locally; even if it is cheaply made. The hand tools are perfect for junkyard toolboxes or extras to keep in the trunk.
            Jason

Comment

anyone have a air compressor from them?

Comment

^

I have this little bastard. I gotta say, I'm pretty damn pleased with it. Had it for 3 years, with the exception of my Snap-On Boat anchor 1/2 inch impact it'll run anything I have. Sandblasters, sprayguns, not a problem unless you run them all day. Needed a couple tweaks but for $100 new, you can't beat it.

That being said, I now have a 60gal IR.

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                  anyone have a air compressor from them?
                  my brother did. When the 2ed or 3rd one blew up (just out of warranty) he went out and bought a Quincy and plumed the tank from the H/F in so he has something like a 120gal of air the comp only runs once in a while when using high volume tools
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by cuchullainn View Post
                    ^

I have this little bastard. I gotta say, I'm pretty damn pleased with it. Had it for 3 years, with the exception of my Snap-On Boat anchor 1/2 inch impact it'll run anything I have. Sandblasters, sprayguns, not a problem unless you run them all day. Needed a couple tweaks but for $100 new, you can't beat it.

That being said, I now have a 60gal IR.
                    I too have this lil guy. I think the gauges are crap but aside from that, well worth it.

COTM

Comment

^That compressor is a massive piece of shit when it comes to high volume tools. It wont run a DA sander whatsoever.
                      E30 buildy things
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Originally posted by MoparJ View Post
                        Surprised no one has mentioned their shop presses.....they are horrible. The frames flex with very little pressure and there is no room to fit anything under it anyway. Someone with even basic welding skills can make a better one with some steel stock and a bottle jack.

I had one of their drills shock the shit out of me and catch fire right in my hand...I'm lucky that thing didn't kill me. :p

Other than that, they always have cool stuff that no one else has locally; even if it is cheaply made. The hand tools are perfect for junkyard toolboxes or extras to keep in the trunk.
                        What capacity press were you using? I've always heard good things about the 20ton.

Comment

Originally posted by MattAvino View Post
                          ^That compressor is a massive piece of shit when it comes to high volume tools. It wont run a DA sander whatsoever.
                          I do like the idea of linking all the dead ones together. Like a more practical human centipede.
                          Swanny!
                          SUCKERS.

Comment

I think the issue with HF tools is that on the whole a majority of them can take the abuse at the price. The issue is quality control between batches from good ole China. I've had adaptor sets snap on the first use and other one's take the same level of abuse time and time again. I've also had two jacks go out on me. An aluminum one and a floor jack. Take HF tools with a grain of salt you will always get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by MattAvino View Post
                              Mine runs this one ok.

Most people who buy a sub 40 gallon compressor aren't looking to run high volume tools. At least they should not be.

Comment

Originally posted by brianao34 View Post
                                What capacity press were you using? I've always heard good things about the 20ton.
                                It was the 6 ton; I should have tried the 20 ton though. A buddy bought the 12 ton for his shop and it was working great for a month or two until the hydraulics wouldn't hold pressure at all anymore.
                                Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X