To Ship Or Not: A Potential E30 Cross Country Voyage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Ship Or Not: A Potential E30 Cross Country Voyage

A new opportunity in my career has me moving to Seattle, WA just after Thanksgiving. I currently live in the DC area & I am left with a tough decision of what to do about my '88 lachs 325is.

A little background: I bought the car last October for a good deal from the 2nd owner who had owned it since 1993. It was maintained rigorously at one BMW only shop for the 20 years of his ownership.
    After putting 500-600 of my own miles on it I did a full tune and an oil change. Shortly thereafter I discovered there was an internal leak going on with the head/ headgasket as there were murky coolant deposits found mixed in with the oil.
    The head was then removed and found to have a small crack. After sourcing a good head from R3V, and having it totally gone through (pressure tested, valve guides, valve seals, cleaned etc.) it's finally back on the road and has been driving great for the last 350 miles and 2 weeks.
    The car is in great shape with the exception of some rust in the rear rocker panel & a little around the arches. No cracks on the dash, black leather sports seats in great shape, no dents, solid paint, nice tires, all electronics work, great basketweaves etc.

I'm faced with a tough decision that I'm hoping maybe some of you have some insight on. My company is giving me a small moving stipend but I'd be hurting for a while if I did ship the BMW. I feel I have three viable options:

1. Sell the car here in DC. Use the money accumulated to potentially buy an E30/E36 in Seattle.

2. Ship the E30 via DAS Transport to Seattle via DAS (~$1150)

3. Drive the E30 cross country. I will flat out say I'm nervous about driving it across America after only putting 1,200 miles on it myself. I'd probably seek out some opinions from a couple BMW garages before going that route.

What would you do with a car you loved? Love it or leave it?

Most recent pic from last week:
    1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
    SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
    Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

I'd drive it to Seattle. You have a great looking car by the way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    sigpic
    Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

You already know the answer: drive it. Yeah, it is going to take a bit longer, but imagine all the cool scenery you get to see along the way.
      1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
      2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
      2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

keep it drive it across the country have a story to tell your grandkids,and great memories, if you need help e30s are simple and parts aren't hard to find, and there are R3V guys across the US willing to help
        88 325is Five Speed
        Lachssilber

Comment

as long as basic maint has been done ie. water pump, belt etc it shouldn't be an issue. I've driven my iX all over the country with no problems. I say road trip it!
          sigpic

Comment

After having purchased many cars sight unseen and driven them long distances myself. Drive it.
            This includes an E30 that I bought in utah, installed an unknown transmission into, and drove back to Wisconsin the next day.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by aaron325ix View Post
              as long as basic maint has been done ie. water pump, belt etc it shouldn't be an issue. I've driven my iX all over the country with no problems. I say road trip it!
              Water pump, timing belt, cam seals, oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets were all addressed when I had the head gasket done.

I'm most worried about breaking down in the middle of nowhere with nothing around for miles in the winter. Not a great thought.

I love road trips (I drove a big UHAUL from Atlanta, GA to Portland, OR) and drove from Portland, OR to Chicago once before as well. I guess I'm just skeptical to drive a 25 year old car that far that I've only put 1,200 miles on myself.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by TurboJake View Post
                After having purchased many cars sight unseen and driven them long distances myself. Drive it.
                This includes an E30 that I bought in utah, installed an unknown transmission into, and drove back to Wisconsin the next day.
                I just looked through some of the pictures on your thread. Very inspirational stuff! Looks like the experience of a lifetime.

SOLD

Comment

Give yourself plenty of extra time to eliminate stress. Take tools, spare parts, r3v contacts.

Beautiful car - it'll be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by TFJR View Post
                    I just looked through some of the pictures on your thread. Very inspirational stuff! Looks like the experience of a lifetime.
                    It is. Don't think, just do it. I promise that even if you do break down, you'll thank me later.

Seriously. There's nothing to be scared or even worried about. Small box of tools, Tent/sleeping bag/air mattress optional/flashlight, small cooler and plenty of water. And if you aren't as brazen or confident in fixing your car on the side of the road as I am. AAA

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by TFJR View Post
                      1. Sell the car here in DC. Use the money accumulated to potentially buy an E30/E36 in Seattle.
                      Fail.

I would definitely ship it
                      I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                      Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

drive it.
                        I bought both my cars pretty much sight unseen and drove em 1500+ miles back home without a single hiccup.
                        Well worth the experience, not to mention you really get to know yourself better throughout the journey.
                        Take your time, meet new people, and enjoy the trip.

P.S. Be sure to have some kind of towing coverage on your insurance before the trek. Always gotta have a plan B, just in case.

P.S.S. Bring some good tunes and stock up on some red bull.
                        Last edited by RUFFLZ; 08-26-2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Drive it as there is nothing like a great road trip!

I had a friend drive my touring from Blaine, WA to NJ and then had 2 friends drive it on the return trip home. The stories I hear from them about the journey are epic!

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Drive it.
                            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Drive it, and look forward to doing it! I would love to do this but don't have the time. I will make the time in the future though.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X