No announcement yet.

Grill Buying Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just dig a huge pit and use midget bones for kindling.
    2011 1M Alpine white/black
    1996 Civic white/black
    1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

My pops has a gas assisted charcoal grill. It looks list most regular gas grills but has charcoal inside and just a small gas canister. The gas is used to heat up the charcoal quickly, so you don't have to wait forever to be able to use the grill. I don't remember the brand or know how expensive it was, but it's really nice. Best of both worlds.
      88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
      We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Huge sale on grills this weekend at the big box home improvement stores.

40 pounds of charcoal for about 10 bucks too. Look for the 2 dollar off Kingsford coupon in the grocery circulars. Taking the F150 down to home depot tomorrow and getting a few packs.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by matthugie View Post
          My pops has a gas assisted charcoal grill. It looks list most regular gas grills but has charcoal inside and just a small gas canister. The gas is used to heat up the charcoal quickly, so you don't have to wait forever to be able to use the grill. I don't remember the brand or know how expensive it was, but it's really nice. Best of both worlds.
          You can also use a mapp canister with a torch or weed burner on a charcoal grill to get it up to temp faster

Comment

I love my charcoal. And if you sack up and buy a Weber chimney, they don't take that long to heat up.
            sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
              You can also use a mapp canister with a torch or weed burner on a charcoal grill to get it up to temp faster
              I read that on a barbeque forum, I didn't use it this time, but next time I will use my ditchburner to get mine up to heat.

I did end up getting the STOK.

The inserts are pretty cool. Now, on to charcoal, is there a desired or is it just preference? I got some loose chunk stuff and I liked it, but I could see where briquettes would be more consistent. I don't think I'll ever use propane and propane accessories every again.

Comment

Originally posted by 10Toes View Post
                Take a magnet with you to the store, a lot of the stainless steel is not actually stainless steel.
                There are several alloys of stainless steels that are magnet. Leatherman for example makes all their tools from 302 stainless, which is magnetic.

Nothing is stain proof or rust proof. The amount of chromium in the steel will affect how it resits rusting/staining.

Comment

Sins you are going to change to a charcoal grill later are there grills that have better resale value?
                  sigpic
                  "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by ajhostetter View Post
                    I love my charcoal. And if you sack up and buy a Weber chimney, they don't take that long to heat up.
                    sometimes I cook just using the chimney. A handful of briquettes and its good to cook a burger or a 8-10 oz steak.
                    sigpic

Comment

Bought a weber S-310 Genesis. Love it. Feels solid, even heat, and seems durable.

That being said, im going to pick up a charcoal grill as well. Would like the option of having both.
                      sigpic

Comment

Bought a weber genesis back in 2007. Still using it today and it will stay looking good for years.

Have replaced the steel inserts under the grates once or twice.

Modded my propane model to use natural gas. So simple and convenient to use...
                        1990 325is - sterling silver, very nice, maybe for sale

Comment

I gotta say, I don't know why I ever thought propane and propane accessories were the way to go, damn you Hank Hill. I live rural, and am on propane, so I thought adding a grill to a tee of the tank would have been the way to go, but the taste. THE TASTE. AND THE TENDERNESS, AND DID I MENTION THE TASTE?

Comment

Working...
                          X