No announcement yet.

Abandoned Places thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovery Island and River Country at Disney World, very cool stuff, abandoned amusement parks are awesomely creepy. Apparently shut down due to a combination of low attendance/new attractions, and a deadly bacteria residing in the water surrounding the island

heres a blog of the guy who fucking swam across the lake to get to the thing, I'm all for checking out cool places, but FUCK that, you won't catch me swimming in unknown, murky, and possibly deadly waters to get to it

and heres the blog for River Country, very cool

Comment

Buffalo Central Terminal

Instagram
      sigpic
      Current: 99 M3
      Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve;4120070

good website
        [url
        http://www.forgottendetroit.com/[/url]

Detroit used to be a Beautifully vibrant city full of all the things that make a great city great. My Grand parents fled the city in the early 40's though they still talk about how great the water front used to be and how safe a place was to live then, though by the late 40's there was some early writing on the walls. It was not until the roits of 67 that it got the reputation it has today. I am not going to get into the more controversial reasons for the cities decline. Its sad to see, though it seems there is a bit of a hipster revolution near America park and ford field trying to gain a foot hold, form something I read a few months ago. As much as I hate hipsters anything in a positive direction is good to see for detroit.
        thats so goddamn sad.
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
          Buffalo Central Terminal

This is sweet! I didn't know about this.

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
          Yup, that was it.

Abandoned stuff like this is crazy to me as I grew up in a tourist town where every square inch of property is worth a ton, so nothing ever just sits. Having an entire building just not be used is so foreign to me. I see these places and think about all the cool stuff I could use the space for.
          I'm the same way. I live in a place where buildings are only empty for a short time before they are torn down or sold and used.

Originally posted by Downz View Post
          Discovery Island and River Country at Disney World, very cool stuff, abandoned amusement parks are awesomely creepy. Apparently shut down due to a combination of low attendance/new attractions, and a deadly bacteria residing in the water surrounding the island

heres a blog of the guy who fucking swam across the lake to get to the thing, I'm all for checking out cool places, but FUCK that, you won't catch me swimming in unknown, murky, and possibly deadly waters to get to it
          I've read about that. I guess there is shit in the water that can make you sick.

I love creepy/abandoned places. They are the only things that genuinely scare me.

Chinese Ghost cities are awesome.

Comment

Great thread idea. Soo creepy. Sub'd.
            Originally posted by Andy.B
            Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
            1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

i like this thread already
              my build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=309778

Comment

I always thought it would be sweet to buy some abandoned city and use it as a place to have real car chase type fun. For example: running from the cops, or whatever. Wall it off to the public and sign a waiver. You could set up a "real" police force and rob a bank or something.
                Last edited by Ether-D; 05-12-2014, 10:21 AM.
                Originally posted by Andy.B
                Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Henryton Center/Hospital : WIKI

My walkthrough pics from 2008

Great place to walk through, allegedly torn down now, but I haven't been there since 2009 or so. If it hasn't been torn down and you want to go park to the south and walk across the stream, then up the hill, over the train tracks, past the power plant. Do not park at the front gate or try to park on the other side of the tunnel (which is notable for some reason I forget). Took decent pics in 2008, but we decided to leave when a police officer rolled through and parked. When I was in school we occasionally played airsoft there with as many as 20 people, good times! Thanks for leaving it to rot Maryland!

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                    This is sweet! I didn't know about this.

I'm the same way. I live in a place where buildings are only empty for a short time before they are torn down or sold and used.

I've read about that. I guess there is shit in the water that can make you sick.

I love creepy/abandoned places. They are the only things that genuinely scare me.

Chinese Ghost cities are awesome.

So what are the reasons a project like this just stops? I find it interesting, I'm majoring in Project Management and work on some fairly large local projects, it just blows my mind that so much money could get thrown at something.......then it all just stops.
                    sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                      So what are the reasons a project like this just stops? I find it interesting, I'm majoring in Project Management and work on some fairly large local projects, it just blows my mind that so much money could get thrown at something.......then it all just stops.
                      That's what happens when the government is funding the projects. I'm amazed by it to. Building something just hoping 100,000 people are going to move in is just crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                        That's what happens when the government is funding the projects. I'm amazed by it to. Building something just hoping 100,000 people are going to move in is just crazy.
                        And that airport in Spain? Really, 10 billion dollars......no one thought hey.....maybe we should spend some money on some statistic analysts JUST to make sure this isn't a flop........
                        sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

And that airport in Spain? Really, 10 billion dollars......no one thought hey.....maybe we should spend some money on some statistic analysts JUST to make sure this isn't a flop........
                          1.4 billion. It was a privately funded operation, not government. IIRC. I believe the defaulted loan caused the bank that issued it to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
                            Buffalo Central Terminal

Wow I lived in buffalo for years and never knew about this! Although seeing as how many other abandoned factories line the coast line I'm not surprised, I wish I did some more exploring when I lived there tho

I also grew up in the neighboring city of Rochester, which has a small abandoned sub way system. I never actually went inside, but down in the city it runs right underneath one of the bridges, we walked up to it and looked down in it, it was the middle of winter and it was a constant warm breeze coming out of it, was so fucking creepy but cool at the same time

Im going to have to start researching Phoenix now haha, although I've been getting myself more lost out in the desert looking for ghost towns on my motorcycle, Ill have to start seeing if theres anything worth checking out, its a huge city

EDIT: just noticed my post count, 666, how appropriate haha
                            Last edited by bikerbill2021; 05-12-2014, 02:39 PM.

Comment

those are in China and their GDP was/is based on constant expansion so they built cities just to continue to show the growth year over year even though NO one lives in them....

there is some tinfoil hat shit that also goes as to why they were built but I will leave that alone
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                                there is some tinfoil hat shit that also goes as to why they were built but I will leave that alone

Well, if/when the reboot the projects, we will know.

Comment

Working...
                                X