Moving to Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Chicago

Lived in California my whole life (Bay Area then San Diego).

Going to be working downtown.

Where to live for someone in their early twenties?

What to do for fun? What is snow? what is yeezus?

All I've known is the beach and palm trees for the last 4 years.

I am almost completely unfamiliar with the town & the Midwest entirely.

but really where da beezies at.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

out of all the places in the country to relocate to you pick Chicago...........
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

Try not to get killed. Seriously though, be safe.
      2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
      (Daily Driver)
      Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
      KW V2 Coilovers
      VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
        Really. I think you're gonna regret that move.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
          This. I would rather be homeless in SD/SF than have a 100k+ job in Chicago.
          The only friend I know who moved there was almost killed, spent weeks in the hospital over getting mugged.
          Much wow
          I hate 4 doors

Comment

i hear they have good wind
            cars beep boop

Comment

Bucktown isnt too terrible if you want to live in the city. If not then I would head to the northern suburbs like Libertyville or Gurnee.

I am just speaking on behalf of my visits to my wifes family, I've never lived there.

Comment

lol Chicago isnt 15 murders a night unless youre in the hood.
                Wouldnt be my first place to relocate but I live in just as shitty of weather if not worse.
                We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Hey Sina, F these guys.

I believe in you.

I was born in Chicago. Lived in King County, and was born in a hospital with "St." in its name, so you know it's good. We moved to California when I was a month old because I had asthma as a baby. I also don't do very well in the cold. I can tolerate snowboarding if it's 40-45 degrees outside. That's about as cold as I can handle it.

I really have nothing to contribute to this thread.
                  Last edited by phreshkid; 12-19-2014, 09:31 PM.
                  world renown Harry Potter expert
                  sigpic

Comment

i have been to this city more times than i can count. i guess it wouldn't be my first choice either, but downtown chicago is pretty fucking awesome-especially if you have an income near 6 figures. like any big city, it is expensive to live there but i guess its relative since you are in cali.

on the other hand there are worse places you could go: detroit, new jersey, monroe LA, and reno to name a few.

you need money to live in downtown chicago. otherwise, you will live a boring existence since you wouldn't be able to afford to do anything after you pay your rent. i would stay away from the south side. not so nice.

when you get settled, sent me a pm. i am up that way often. at least i can buy you a beer one day.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Do not move to Chicago
                      Originally posted by TSI
                      ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                      OEM+

Comment

Believe it or not Detroit is improving
                        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I agree Monroe LA sucks ass, but I would not put it worse than Cook County IL , you just have to know how to deal with southern People..... Detroit is getting better for sure, still a slightly more friendly Mogadishu none the less, but its taken a step or 2 in the right direction. (funny how a bankruptcy will do that) Though I think Newark and Philly for me are at least equal to if not worse that cook count IL.....

OP just form my own perspective, 5 years ago I turned down a job down that would have put me at home in my own bed 75-80% of the time, with a good contractor, that would have been +- 10k of 6 figures almost every year and most jobs would be perdiem jobs on top of that. Why you might ask, solely on the fact that I would have been working and living (would have had to relocate) in the Chicagoland area.....
                          Originally posted by Fusion
                          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                          William Pitt-

Comment

Lots of nice looking girls in chicago. Good steak, Bavettes is the spot! Prepare for the worst winters ever. I travel there for business trips so my input is very limited. But, i spoke to someone who used to live there, she said the neighborhoods around Chicago were very segregated. Whites here, hispanics there, blacks there, you know that thing. Not sure how true that is so ill leave it to someone else who lives there to chime in. Good luck either way.

Comment

I have a friend that moved to Chicago. The only nice thing I remember him saying about it is that it has a great city/restaurant life and that at least it isn't fucking Hoboken (his current residence).

Comment

Working...
                              X