Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Folding@Home Team!

Team E30 stats as of 11 October 2020:
    Rank: 325 (out of ~240,000...we are in the 99.8th percentile!)
    Completed Work Units: 105,956

Stats for (OO==[][]==OO)
    @Stanford: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...teamnum=227800
    @Extremeoverclocking: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...hp?s=&t=227800 (updated every 3 hours)

Get started in the link below! It is winter time. Use your PC to heat your room since you are running the heat now anyway!

Install the client, pick a user name, input team #227800 and sign up for a passkey (which enables you to get huge bonus points). Set the folding power to Full and let it rip!

Old original post:
    I have been fairly active with Folding@Home over the last few years (off and on). Anyway, I thought that it would be cool to make an E30 FAH team and get some other E30 lovers onboard. For those familiar with it, I suppose that it needs no explanation. The team number is 227800 and the team name is "(OO==[][]==OO)". Yes, I am aware that the "name" is hard to remember but whatever, it is fucking sick and 227800 is easy enough to deal with since you can look it up in the stats either way.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What is FAH? It is a distributed computing project for medical research that is run and overseen by Stanford University. Basically, they came up with some software that you install on your computer and then they send out pieces of complicated protein molecular simulations to all of the different connected computers, in effect forming a large supercomputer network. The simulations are generally aimed at working on research for cancer, Alzheimers, Huntington's and other God-awful plagues on humanity. It has been going on for many years and the product of the program has included many research papers and advancements in our understanding of how specific proteins work and what they do in humans.

Is it free, and what do you get for participating?
    - Cost: The software is free and the only associated cost is electricity since the simulations can run your CPU and GPU at 100% capacity (you can also opt to have them run at less than 100%)
    - Reward: It's a voluntary thing, so other than feeling good you don't get paid or anything. They have worked out a points system so you can run a sort of informal/friendly competition between individuals and teams.

Computer Requirements:
    - General Hardware: For the most part, anyone can participate. In practice, you really want a CPU that has at LEAST 2 cores, preferably 4, and is from 2012 or later. As for GPUs, it is really only worth it if your GPU is a higher-end one from the last couple of years. For the most part, if you are computer-savvy and have a PC that was built with higher-end parts in the last 3 years, you should do fine.
    - OS: Windows, Mac, Linux are all fine. I have found that I get ~20% better CPU performance in Ubuntu than Windows, but better GPU performance in Windows since the drivers are better.
    - CPU Specific: If you have a quad-core laptop with a Sandy Bridge CPU or newer (i7 2xxxM series CPU) you are fine. Low-voltage ultrabook type CPUs generally don't perform very well. Any quad-core desktop CPU from the last few years should be fine.
    - GPU Specific: Maxwell series nvidia cards have some sort of major driver bug in their OpenCL implementation that causes these expensive, super powerful cards to be less useful for FAH right now. They will still score BIG points, but they are not being assigned newer simulation work units because of the bug. It is up to nvidia to fix the bug, which they may purposely not do because they don't want their consumer GPUs to compete with their pricey workstation cards. So, current high-end ATI cards are the better FAH tools right now if for no other reason than their drivers aren't completely messed up.

Other notes:
    - You can set the client to only work when the computer is idle so it won't disrupt your normal use, or you can have it run full-bore all the time.
    - A lot of folks get the temptation to install this on lab PCs or other machines at their place of work. That is all good and well, but make sure that it won't interfere with normal use by setting it to run under idle only, and make sure that it isn't a violation of IT rules to run it (chances are it is, so be forewarned).
    - There are some finer points to the setup and whatnot of the FAH client. If you want to participate and aren't super familiar with the setup process, this can serve as the help thread too. Just note in the Windows installer, you should choose the advanced setup option and tell it to not automatically start when you boot the computer since that can be annoying.
    - If you are new to FAH and want to get the most points for your effort, you should go on Stanford's FAH site and set up a username passkey. This allows you to get significant bonus points on work units that are done before their deadline (you have to finish 10 WU's and complete 80%+ of them on-time to qualify, which is super easy).
    - The client will by default create a GPU folding "slot" (worker process) if your computer has an nvidia or ATI GPU. This is a little annoying since low-end GPUs don't really earn that many points. The GPU slot can be deleted easily enough, and I can walk you through it if you need.
    - By default the "power" setting slider is at medium. I usually only run FAH at FULL power since it is more efficient that way, and if you set it to run at idle it won't impact normal use at all.

I was originally going to post this as a feeler and see who wanted in and have team name discussions, but after I typed out and saw "(OO==[][]==OO)" it became a done deal. Remember, team number 227800 is what you will enter in the client if you want to be on the team, and ideally you will have set up a username and passkey through the Stanford FAH site.

Here are some links to relevant info. If you want to participate, check out this link and install the client, and also consider registering your username so you can get the quick-return bonus (which is usually 200%-1000% increase in points):
    Last edited by bmwman91; 10-11-2020, 06:37 AM.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

I didn't know this was still a thing. I used to let my PS3 do this back when it came out while I lived with my parents/university res and didn't pay for power.

I haven't really used it in the past couple years, but I wonder if a platform that dated would still be useful for this, and how much my already disgusting power bill will go up if I do.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

^is your heat electric?
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
        I didn't know this was still a thing. I used to let my PS3 do this back when it came out while I lived with my parents/university res and didn't pay for power.

I haven't really used it in the past couple years, but I wonder if a platform that dated would still be useful for this, and how much my already disgusting power bill will go up if I do.
        I THINK that Stanford retired the PS3 part of the program since it was getting to be a bit dated.

Comment

They did this to all the lab computers at my college campus. I thought it was a pretty clever idea since those computers are on all the time anyway.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
            They did this to all the lab computers at my college campus. I thought it was a pretty clever idea since those computers are on all the time anyway.
            Ha. nice. That's something I thought about doing back in college, but the security policy wouldn't let FAH run after someone logged out.

------------------------

I made up a quick and cheesy team logo.

Someone with real image editing and art skills wanna make one that doesn't look like junk?

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
              ^is your heat electric?
              No:

5 adults use a lot of monopolized overpriced electricity.
              Last edited by Northern; 01-16-2015, 07:07 PM.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                No:

5 adults use a lot of monopolized overpriced electricity.
                lolwhatisthisidonteven

In other news, team E30 is at over 100K points for the first day. Once it hits ~950K it'll get listed on the big stats list. So who wants to burn up some electricity for the glory of God's Chariot?!

Comment

I might do this to heat my bedroom up. GTX 480's are nasty when it comes to thermal characteristics, even more in sli.
                  Originally posted by kendogg
                  Don't know, but the E90 wasn't designed from the ground-up intending to be a racecar like the E30 was.
                  OG RACECAR

Comment

Originally posted by M42Power View Post
                    I might do this to heat my bedroom up. GTX 480's are nasty when it comes to thermal characteristics, even more in sli.
                    Dooooooo eeeeeeeetttt
                    Let me know if you have any setup questions. What kind of CPU are you rocking? You get a pretty big points bonus if you register with the F@H site too.

Team E30 is going to crack 500k points today. We should be on the big list in a couple more days!

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                      Dooooooo eeeeeeeetttt
                      Let me know if you have any setup questions. What kind of CPU are you rocking? You get a pretty big points bonus if you register with the F@H site too.

Team E30 is going to crack 500k points today. We should be on the big list in a couple more days!
                      I'm rocking a conservatively overclocked 920 i7 (3.4 GHz). I think i'll revert to stock clocks and start foldin shit!
                      Originally posted by kendogg
                      Don't know, but the E90 wasn't designed from the ground-up intending to be a racecar like the E30 was.
                      OG RACECAR

Comment

Good deal.

I assume you are running Windows? If so, make sure to use the advanced options in the client installer and tell it not to run FAH when you boot. In the client itself, it will by default make "slots" for folding on all available GPUs and the CPU. Each GPU will occupy one CPU thread, so the i7-920 CPU folding slot will work with (8 - # GPUs) threads).

When you fire up the FAH client, it will open a web browser which has the "simple" interface. You can close it and it won't stop folding. Look for the little molecule icon in the lower-right area by the clock. If you right click it and select the Advanced menu, you'll get more granular control over stuff (not necessarily needed if things are working well).

The important bit is to set up your FAH user name, assign yourself to team 227800, and to set up a passkey since that will allow you to get bonus points for finishing work units early (can be a 200%-1000% point increase).

Team E30 is well over 500K points now. Burn them wattzzzzzz!

Comment

OK, team E30 is on the big board now with well over 1M points. The OP has been updated with the link to the Extremeoverclocking stats data for us. There is a long way to go, but we will get there. The goal is to get to 1200th place or better since at that point individual users' stats become listed there.

Comment

Dang....I haven't done F@H since a P4 3.2 was the hot shit. Dates me.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                              Dang....I haven't done F@H since a P4 3.2 was the hot shit. Dates me.
                              Ha! At a previous job I loaded F@H on a bunch of lab PCs with P4's and 8800 GTS GPUs...high end stuff at the time! Then one day I came to work and found that IT had blocked the port that the F@H client was using lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X