Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refinishing hardwood floors, how to get marks/stains out? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floor stripping

Nice jobF34R. I ran into tar paper on one floor too. Big sanding machines are a huge help. But there are many ways to skin a cat. This floor was a complete rest. Sub flooring was
    1 1/2 inch thick heart pine. Upstairs had square nails on the top. Main floor (more formal) were hidden in the tongue and groove.

floor stripped w/o big sander/// pre staining and poly coat

dlm ny country
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes, rent a floor sander and go through the grits until you sand to a even colour. You won't sand through those old hardwood boards... If it were a veneer you would have to be carful.

If you have bad staining you can bleach the wood to even the colour. If you have age stains or rust from nails you can use oxalic acid to pull it out.

But by the looks just rent a floor sander and go over it a few times and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1988 e30 alpine white vert 5speed
      1987 e30 325 eta
      1983 e28 533
      2001 x5 4.4l
      1997 e36 M3 Alpine white 5speed
      1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

I pretty much just sand and finish floors. That light colored outline should go away or blend more if you re-sand. Rent a drum/belt sander that has a handle to lift/feather the drum off/on the floor. Start the rough sanding at about 30 degree angle. This will help to flatten a floor. Medium sand at about 15 degree angle. Get an edger to do the perimeter where drum sander can't touch. Don't sit in the corners too long or you will leave deep half moon to scrape. Rough and fine sand the edges. Fine sand with the drum sander going straight with the grain. Scrape the corners. Hand sand corners or some kind orbital sander. Floor buffer can be tricky to use. Recommend orbital sander F34R showed. Use it to blend all the sanding done and smooth floor more. Clean everything. Apply 1st coat. Lightly abrade floor. Clean everything again. Apply 2nd coat. Should be good enough to sell. Recommend 3 coats if you were going to live there. Gloss will highlight sanding marks and dust in the coats. Oil poly is cheaper than waterbase

Comment

Working...
        X