Pulled the soft topper for winter?
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
      Nice!

Pulled the soft topper for winter?
      Pulled it to change up the look and because it's nearly impossible to see out the back with it on. Although I need to put it back on tonight for this weekend's trip...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
        Specs:
        2016 TRD 4x4 Offroad Double Cab Short Bed
        6 speed auto, this is my DD so auto was preferred though they do come in 6 speed manuals as well

Yep, CVT Mt. Rainier Stargazer Pioneer for the RTT. Big ol' bitch that hangs out past the tailgate 13 inches, haha.

I tried out a moonroof equipped version as well but decided to go without one as I too had head clearance issues at 6'3". Was slightly bummed but it obviously wasn't a deal breaker.
        ah i c i c

def post noodz once the rack is on; been meaning to rub one out lately

Originally posted by lambo View Post
        yota boiz

Originally posted by lambo View Post
        and because I'm a child and can't control myself

love 1st gen DCs mang. you see that one dude on tacomaworld that 5 speed swapped his? IIRC, I think it was silver as well. brb gonna find

EDIT: oh ya his handle was safetydang https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...thread.247243/ although I'm sure you've already seen/fapped to it

Comment

Snagged up during my lunch break.

Relentless Modular Bed Rack 11-25-18 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Comment

How tall is that in inches.

Asking for a friend.

I need to hoon my pickup next big snowstorm, the rattling CV needs to explode so I can replace it.
            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
            willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
              How tall is that in inches.

Asking for a friend.

I need to hoon my pickup next big snowstorm, the rattling CV needs to explode so I can replace it.
              From bed rail to top of horizontal members is 12" on the dot.

From my bed to the underside of the rack is roughly 28 inches.

Comment

Ill have to go measure later on my pickup, I think I still want more like 10" or 9" tall.

Looks cool though. Convenient holes all over for mounting all the overland point items.
                willschnitz

Comment

Question for those familiar with the 3rd Gen Tacos and E30s.

I test drove a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-road with the V6 and 6-speed manual today.

Loved the way the truck drove and the options/aesthetics/functionality, etc.

I was disappointed in the power/responsiveness though. This may be due to it having 19 miles so I didn't rev past about 3.5k but still even in the peak torque in 2nd gear it didn't seem to respond the way I expected.

Doing the math the Tacoma should feel as quick or quicker in a straight line than my E30. 4445 lbs / 278 hp = 16 lb/hp for the Toyota vs my M20 325i = 2750lbs/170hp = 16.1 lbs/hp.

It felt sluggish and much less responsive than my E30, which surprised me. I actually liked the way it drove, but was curious your thoughts on the power. If I just need to break the engine in and keep the revs up to stay in the powerband I'm fine with that but if that's as good as it gets it might be hard to drive every day.

FWIW my E30 has a recently rebuilt M20 with the standard mods (sssquid, new/rebuilt afm/injectors/sensors, headers, exhaust) and a 4.10 diff so it's not stock but still the block has 400k and doubt it makes more than 170hp at the crank..

Also fwiw my wifes X5 felt waaay faster than the taco, also surprising since it's 4960lbs/300hp = 16.5 lbs/hp.

Comment

Probably really bad factory E pedal tuning.
                    willschnitz

Comment

Edit: I’m an idiot and didn’t read that you drove a manual...

There have been a lot of issues with the automatic 3rd gen Tacoma’s transmission tuning. I thought there was a recent service bulletin issued that helped a lot. Maybe check to see if that sb had been applied to that truck. Otherwise, a lot of people on Tacoma World resorted to OV Tune to help alleviate their issues.

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

It's probably the factory pedal tuning. My 5th gen 4runner is the same way. Feels like there is no throttle input even though your half way into the pedal.

Comment

Yes have to place the boot nearly to the floor to get the wife's rig to actually wind up and move out of it's own way.
                          Originally posted by Fusion
                          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                          William Pitt-

Comment

I will start this post by saying that I really wish I had had sliders for today's adventure. Holy moly.

Had the day off, so I grabbed a buddy and we drove down the 17 to the Lake Montezuma exit and headed south on NF-618. Took NF-215 out to West Clear Creek and explored the creek a bit.

At the 618/215 intersection

11-16-18 Day Trip from I-17 to Happy Jack by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Found a rode to a hill top which eventually lead to the discovery of a giant metal water gathering platform that fed into a small drinking hole, which was monitored by US government wildlife cameras. I'm not sure if they saw any interesting animals that day, but they definitely caught two guys poking around.

Picturesque road down into West Clear Creek. Had never been to this area of AZ before and was impressed at how much water and vegetation there was.

After we left West Clear Creek we headed back to the 618 to take the NF-214 east over to Lake Mary Road.

This is where the nail biting begins.

Before we left the creek we tossed lunch under the hood to be warmed up.

Pictures don't quite do it justice, but it took us 3 hours to go 10 miles. Needed spotting for 2 of those hours. Got to test out 4Lo though! Thoroughly! Never had traction issues, even at 32 psi, but the abundance of sharp steep rocks was disconcerting without a spotter.

Lots and lots of rocks, lots and lots of issues with stock mudflaps being bent and crushed. One front skid encounter, early on, as the spotter was learning the trucks ground clearance abilities. And several hits on the Predator Tube Step, front drivers side.

Damaged Step Bar by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

This wouldn't have been nearly as bad if the truck wasn't bone stock, but it made it through!

About 4 miles from the end of the dirt road we passed under some power wires

11-16-18 Day Trip Under Power Lines by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Sliders are a definite must have. The stock steps are crap for things like this.

Comment

As far as power goes, I have no complaints. My truck is definitely broken in, and I am surprised at how it moves.

I have an auto, but it has the 'S' mode. Put it in first at a stop and wind it up and the truck boogies. You definitely need to rev it on up there to get the good stuff though.

If you want one of these things to move, but you never take it above 3,300 rpms, then it ain't going to happen.

Comment

Went on a wheeling trip with some guys from Tacoma World this weekend. Here are some pics:

DSC00012
                                by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00001

DSC00010

DSC00026

DSC00031

DSC00032

DSC00037

DSC00058

DSC00061

DSC00064

DSC00069

DSC00071

DSC00088

And a couple bonus pictures I took while wandering around Frisco at night...

DSC00095

DSC00096

Comment

Working...
                                X