OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
    Yeah I would rather have the 2.7L 4 banger in my 4runner. It has a timing chain too like the old 22re.
    The 2.7 and 2.4 from the mid 90's to early 2000's are pretty damn reliable and not to shabby on gas mileage. I want a turbo diesel I4 in my 2002 tacoma, that's probably the only thing I would swap into it (lies I would swap a 2jz-gte into it as well).
    Last edited by ccsdo5; 04-08-2015, 03:44 PM. Reason: 2JZ
    -Dee
    5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
    IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Marshall, I'd love to pick your brain. Found a CL ad for a 183k 4R for $3k ... has some issues obviously I would have to negotiate it down but I wonder how easy it is to get crate engines? I can't find any good sources for swaps.

Obviously James needs to start a Toyota sub-forum ...
      Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

^ for a 2nd gen 4runner I'd only pay around 1.5k, but for a 3rd gen in good shape from an enthusiast with a 5 speed, 3k is a good price. Even if it has a V6. From what I remember crate engines are expensive (around 1k a pop) so you would either want to look harder or think about swapping in something.

If I were to buy another toyota, it'd be a 2nd gen 4runner with a 4 cyl and a 5 speed. Still has the hilux platform and isn't too expensive to run

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
          Marshall, I'd love to pick your brain. Found a CL ad for a 183k 4R for $3k ... has some issues obviously I would have to negotiate it down but I wonder how easy it is to get crate engines? I can't find any good sources for swaps.

Obviously James needs to start a Toyota sub-forum ...
          Buy the cleanest one you can. If you do, it will last forever. I have never sourced an engine for a 4runner.wish I could help you.
          Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
          Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
          Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Been rocking a tacoma for Winter and odd jobs.
            Awesome trucks, wouldnt use anything else. Just wish Long travel for a 4x4 wasn't so expensive.

Comment

I tried trading my E30 + cash for this bad boy last summer in my hometown.

My DREAM rig: Copper Brown 474 FJ60. by sina.pour, on Flickr

Owner wouldn't budge. Don't blame him.

Then last December, I was supposed to pick up a '92 4runner 4wd with a mild lift, in crimson red.
              That fell through, as the day before my E30 was hit by a fuckin rockslide while driving home.

:(

My ALL-TIME DREAM rig is a Copper brown (474) FJ60 Land Cruiser. All stock + mild lift.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
              1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
              2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

^

We have 2 blue FJ60's running around up here seeing dd use.... Not too bad of shape given the length of our winters and the shit we put on the roads
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  ^

We have 2 blue FJ60's running around up here seeing dd use.... Not too bad of shape given the length of our winters and the shit we put on the roads
                  Dude a clean 60 series is rare even around these parts (Sunny California).

60-series are extremely susceptible to rot. So a bunch near the coast have it.

If I find the right one someday with some rot, I'd definitely save it.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                  1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                  2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Oh I know they are rare, but I live in the land of wealthy Californian migration destination, and hippsters (both with and with out money / trust funds). Its not uncommon to see 1 of the 60's and 1 or 2 d110 (there is at least 2 91 NAS spec 110's local up here as well) on the average week day rush hour trip from one side of the valley to the other. There are 2 GTR's 3 panamericas and couple 997 S4's seeing winter DD duties around here. In the summer you will see everything from new and classic vettes to Diablios and prancing horses of almost every flavor, Astons, P cars, etc... A with MT tags with my local county codes on them....

Sigh its kinda of disheartening really

I know off topic
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

I lurk the western regions craigslistings from time to time to look at clean trucks. I'd trade my 3rd gen 4Runner in a heartbeat for an FJ60/80/100 but parts are too fucking expensive, even getting them at cost.

I want to pick up a 2006-15 Tacoma, but I really like not having a car payment anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        Would not mind a FJ80 cruiser but thats about it and they are still stupid expensive for 100+K mile rigs
                        Hear ya. The reason is the 80 is the 80. No need to explain to those that know.
                        100k is just getting started - seriously. I did a headgasket @ ~130k & still have excellent crosshatch in bores.

The 1FZ-FE's only weak spot is the headgasket - it has been addressed by Mr. T & is like all Toys - change the original gasket & you're golden.

And if you want one - this is the time - clapped ones are being bobbed & such, good ones are already known as a classic the way E30's have blown up. Prices are on the rise, and a bunch got scrapped under Obama's CFC program - most deserved it but quite a few didn't.

Ih8mud.com is the king of Toyota 4wd sites - the classifieds are organized & a excellent place to shop / price whatever Toy flavor is your thing.

I justify the MPG & parts cost by the fact you're not buying parts too often if you buy / maintain at a quality level. The 3rd world mentality used in design is super for maint too - the 1FZ is singularly THE best indexed motor ever - it's like they designed it with maint work in mind. Most of the time.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Oh I know but 14-17k and fucking UP, for a 95/96 with 139k on it is a little steep for a dd used vehicle dont ya think legendary yota 80 reliability or not. If I could talk the wife in one I might just do it, but shes gotten used to the new stuff in modern Tahoe/Yukons so I highly doubt it would happen lol

William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                            Both. Very serviceable and very reliable. I have 230k and just done timing belts, brakes and one rear axle seal. Running strong.
                            I have a 99 4runner and have done the exact same plus a couple of u-joints. Mine is not a 4x4. I drove it to Alaska pulling a "hi-lo" camper and 3 kids, a wife (now ex), and a dog and got 16 mpg. It's perfect.

And how is there no mention of t100's in here? (Maybe I just missed it.)
                            Originally posted by Andy.B
                            Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                            1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Used to have this, bougt it stock and really worn out.
                              Changed out just about everything, and put in a 20 years newer 2,4 diesel and a supercharger. Damn it was fun..

Comment

^ That is pretty bad ass. Nothing like a Solid front axle rig to do real crawling.

Comment

Working...
                                X