No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ What he said. The 2nd gen 4Runners (88-95) are the only ones to avoid. On the 3rd gen cars, the only thing you have to worry about is pink milkshake since it occurs mainly on northern cars.

Comment

I installed the separate transmission cooler about 40k ago and it's just fine. I even replaced the radiator at 215k just as a preventative measure.

I have 230k on it and other than needing a wheel bearing, it's in great shape.

And yes, the 3.0 is a very anemic motor. If you go with a 2nd Gen truck, get the 22re and enjoy epic reliability. Don't bother with the 3.0 v6.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerista View Post
        ^ What he said. The 2nd gen 4Runners (88-95) are the only ones to avoid. On the 3rd gen cars, the only thing you have to worry about is pink milkshake since it occurs mainly on northern cars.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...milkshake.html
        Don't buy an auto, and you won't have a problem!
        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

My truck was a 3.0/auto and had no problems (again there was a recall in like 1998 which meant every 3.0 had its head gaskets replaced FOR FREE so there's a good chance any you're looking at buying will be okay) except for being a little down on power. Lots of people swap chevy vortec 4.3 V6s into these trucks to pick up more torque. But it depends on what you're expecting. Like anything, as long as you get one in good shape you shouldn't have an issue. The 22re got something like 120 hp, the 3.0 was around 150 hp, the 3rd gen 4runner 4 cyl got 150 hp, and the 3.4 got 190 hp. I believe the 22re has the most aftermarket support if you want a set of cams or headers, but which ever way you want to go should be fine.

Pros of a 3rd gen: r134a A/C
          Pros of a 2nd gen: hilux frame

I would try to find a 4 cyl 3rd gen 4x4 with a locking rear diff.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Thanks St1g, that's really helpful info. Your 3rd gen looks really good

Comment

Too bad I'm poor. If this came up at the end of the year I'd pick it up.
              Originally posted by flyboyx
              how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
              Originally posted by Northern
              beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
              Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
              Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
              '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
              Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Originally posted by markd248 View Post
                Thanks St1g, that's really helpful info. Your 3rd gen looks really good
                No problem. Let me know if you need any help.

Comment

I don't want to give this truck back, we have formed a bond over the past week. From romping down the beach in 4 lo at 35mph with a truck full of drunks and one sober after an unsuccessful fishing trip to taking the kids out for a fun day. This truck is awesome in every way.

Even though it's a rental I still found myself meticulously cleaning the sand from the undercarriage and vacuuming it out of the interior as if it were my own. The stench of squid from an overturned bait cooler is proving slightly more difficult. Those ruts get a little rough during an abrupt "lane" change.

Anyway, I have been reading that '05 is when the 3rd row seating was offered. Did they and do they still come in a manual? My wife prefers manual, which is funny because for an SUV I'd rather have an auto, but she is the stay at home mom who will be driving it 90% of the time.

After this trip, I am sold.

I will be on the hunt after we purchase our house in August '16. Already have the house picked out, so I want my credit completely clear when we buy. If they still offer a manual option we might buy new so I don't have to fix it for the first 3 years.
                  No E30 Club
                  Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                  Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I love the look of the new ones. Great choice, I'd love to be able to afford one.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                      I love the look of the new ones. Great choice, I'd love to be able to afford one.
                      +1 they remind me of the first gen 4runners. No more granny SUV looks

Comment

Any of you 3rd gen 4runner owners know how to disable the alarm system? I picked up a 2001 4runner sr5 and the alarm system is driving me nuts, I don't want it anymore haha. The first day I drove it the damn alarm went off and immobilized the engine all because the driver side door lock stuck and set the alarm off when I opened the door. Since then I have only been using the key to lock and unlock the doors. Just yesterday I was with my grandparents and my grandmother pressed the lock down on her door which somehow armed the alarm, and when I unlocked the doors with the switch on the drivers door, the alarm went off again.
                        I'm really kind of annoyed by the thing, ideally id like to just pull a fuse or something. Is there anything I can do?

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

95% certain this is a Toyota

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Looks like it began life as a first gen 7/8 Tundra.. the one before the current one that had a V8 but wasn't stupid big

Comment

Are there any "good" forums for these cars....

Comment

Originally posted by gte175x View Post
                                Are there any "good" forums for these cars....
                                ih8mud

Comment

Working...
                                X