OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    Oh shit didnt realize your ST was mashed sorry. But just remember your only going to see about 15mpg with a hundy AT BEST lol...
    Thank you. It was one of the best cars I owned, but it's time to mix things up I think.

Yeah I've already realized that, hence why if I can I'd love to have another bike for my short commute. Then just use the LC when I need/want AC or not going somewhere solo. Make the most of the 15ishmpgs. It's better than the 9/10 that I'd likely get in a 60.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

300k too much for a 3.4 4runner? Not sure on the year, early 2000's auto trans.

My Wife's Aunt is about to buy a 2015 so we're going to try to work out a deal for it. She drives the thing over an hour every day for work, and has done a great job keeping up with maintenance.

I'm thinking it would make a good, cheap family hauler/camping wagon for a few years. Plus we could sell the Saab and put some money into savings.

Thoughts? 300k is just getting broken in right?
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
        300k too much for a 3.4 4runner? Not sure on the year, early 2000's auto trans.

My Wife's Aunt is about to buy a 2015 so we're going to try to work out a deal for it. She drives the thing over an hour every day for work, and has done a great job keeping up with maintenance.

I'm thinking it would make a good, cheap family hauler/camping wagon for a few years. Plus we could sell the Saab and put some money into savings.

Thoughts? 300k is just getting broken in right?
        So long as timing belts and maintenance have been done I wouldn't be too worried about 300,000 My friend has a 2003 tacoma with 530,000 and he still drives it everyday no issues or any serious repairs other than just routine maintenance stuff. I don't know anything about the auto transmission though, but for the right price needing to do the transmission isn't the end of the world.
        -Dee
        5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
        IG: @deebelmont

Comment

That's my thought. We haven't stated a price yet, I asked her to see what they will give her for trade in first.

Hoping to snag it for 1k-1500 if I can. At that price I'd have no problem wrenching on it. Currently it is still her DD she is just starting to worry about mileage, even though there isn't any issues showing.
          No E30 Club
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

That's my thought. We haven't stated a price yet, I asked her to see what they will give her for trade in first.

Hoping to snag it for 1k-1500 if I can. At that price I'd have no problem wrenching on it. Currently it is still her DD she is just starting to worry about mileage, even though there isn't any issues showing.
            The biggest thing on the automatic transmissions is to separate the fluid from the radiator. The coolant and the trans fluid share the radiator and the membrane between them can break and then you get "strawberry milk shake" and a new transmission.
            Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
            Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
            Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

So external trans cooler? Check.
              No E30 Club

Comment

Interesting thread! And timely too... I bought my wife an SUV for carrying the kids around - its domestic and is having reliability issues (2 transmissions, full steering system, 6 coils/plugs, valve train cleaning, and AC condensor all needed within a year ). Carmax warranty sheltered me big time, but this has me looking at Toyotas.

I really, really like the new Sequoia. Any thoughts on this thing?

Comment

1 sequoias are ginormous. They split the difference between the Tahoe and the suburban in size. Cost is about same as a Tahoe, for the size point' and kid/wife use I think I would stick with the Tahoe as its one thing gm does very well and is more car like in the driving expierance than a sequoia imo plus easier for living with in parking lots and traffic. Also iirc real world economy on the Tahoe is a little better.....

From what I know they are good overall and if its whatnyounlike and fits your needs and you can live with the size why not....
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

So it looks like we will likely be picking up this 4runner. Talked to the Wife a bit and she is on board. She's all for saving money, and since I was about to drop 25k or so this winter on a newer used SUV, a cheap good condition 4runner makes her happy.

First order of business will be an external trans cooler. Any other problem areas I should look at? I'll be giving the truck a good once over when it is in our possession.
                    No E30 Club

Comment

I love this thing. Purchased with ~111k miles.

Looking to get another cheap motorcycle stat for commuting, it's a thirsty beast.

(Suspension set to low for the photo.)
                      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Welcome to the TLC club, You will likely never want to not have one at your disposal ever again. They are great road trip rigs even when modded that just eat miles though at the cost of a little more fuel consumption. Congrats looks like a clean set up. Now comes the fun part getting the maintenance all caught up and bring on some mods.
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

So, picking it up this weekend if I can get a ride out there!

She is giving it to us for what she was offered on trade in. $300. The only thing they could say bad about it from the inspection was that it "might need a transmission service".

I'm excited! Can't wait to be able to do some real camping off grid again.
                          No E30 Club

Comment

I have 330,000 miles on my 96 4Runner and still running strong. Contribute proper maintenance for its reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by thmpr464 View Post
                              I have 330,000 miles on my 96 4Runner and still running strong. Contribute proper maintenance for its reliability.
                              Yea there's been no issues with this one. She has had the truck for 15 years, and drives over an hour for work each day. The only reason she bought a new one was because she is just your average person who doesn't even open the hood.

She said she is pretty emotional about it, but glad that the truck is going to people she loves.

I'll run it till the wheels come off, and put them back on. I've missed my old trooper since selling it a few years ago. I figure this will be similar, but more capable and should have enough power to pull a boat.

Old trooper:
                              No E30 Club

Comment

Took it back where the photo above was taken. The place has grown over quite a bit, and the ground is much softer now I found.

I think when these tires wear out it's going to get some 275/65r16 duratrax. I don't think it has any need for a lift.

Best $300 vehicle I've ever had.
                                No E30 Club

Comment

Working...
                                X