No announcement yet.

Does your AC still work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My '88 M3 I bought last fall had the coldest A/C of any E30 I have owned. It was still an R12 system. Fast forward a few months, and I had the car down for a few weeks replacing the front subframe, rod bearings, etc. After this, the A/C compressor would not longer engage due to low R12 charge. I did a lot of research on R12, the r134a conversion, Freeze 12...I even went so far as to get EPA certified to buy/resell R12. All that you have to do is pay $20 to take a 25 multiple choice online test. You can then buy R12 off of ebay, sometimes fairly cheap.

Since my system was working perfectly before, I decided against the R134a conversion. Another factor for me is that supposedly the compressor on an M3 must be replaced with a R134a compatible one, whereas on other later model E30's the compressor is compatible. Buying R12 was cheaper that buying a new compressor.

Most of the local shops in my area did not deal with R12 anymore, but used the Freeze 12 substitute. I would not use this-although there are people who have and had no problems, but talking to a couple of these shops revealed that using it had caused some compressors to lock up within a few days of installation.

In the end, a guy where I work just happened to have 5 cans of R12 that he gave me for free. I went to the BMW dealership where they pulled a vacuum on the system, found no leaks, and recharged with 3 of the R12 cans I brought in. It now cools down to around 48 degrees, and would probably be better if I would replace the original receiver/dryer. It works very well in this almost 100 degree, very high humidity Mississippi heat. Needless to say, a non-functional A/C is not an option here for most people.
    Eric Giles
    '20 M2 CS
    '04 M3
    '11 X5 35D
    '87 325is
    '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

Two e30's

Both blow cool-ish

But goddamn aux fan doesn't run, so they get way hot with AC on.

Gonna be 96 here today...
      88 325is FOR SALE
      89 325i FOR SALE
      95 LR Disco
      98 Volvo V70XC -FS!
      25' of oil-stained driveway
      Travel Kit:
      M4, FS 92, Mk19, 998

Comment

mines still R12 and runs fine, taking it out if anyone needs any parts.

Mike Fritz

Comment

yes sir, r134a

Originally posted by vlad
          Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Working...
          X