No announcement yet.

Does your AC still work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I have been using a retrofit kit for probably two years and it is still blowing ice cold today. Cost like $35. Some will say that it is best to have the system vacuumed before retrofitting in order to remove any moisture, particulates, and old oils to get the maximum performance and life out of a retrofit system. Harbor freight has a vacuum pump that runs off of a compressed air source for $15. I have thought about buying it to retrofit a couple of old cars.
    sigpic

Comment

Mine got redone before I bought it, but i'm not sure what it was gassed with - if it stops working, we'll know it was R134a

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
      RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

It is actually on sale for $10 right now. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92475
        sigpic

Comment

Damn staright I have working AC , this is Texas afterall . :D
          All of my cars , running or not, have working AC .

Yeah i would suggest using one of the R134a kits that you can get at any chain auto parts store .
          I will add thought that if at all possible that you have the system "evacuated" by a shop or at the very least drop the compressor and drain all of the old oil from it .
          Then add new pag oil that is R134a friendly or charge with a can that has the oils already in it .

Also I would say overfill the system a bit with the R134 as nothing cools quite like the old skool R12 .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer

1)Yeah i would suggest using one of the R134a kits that you can get at any chain auto parts store .
            I will add thought that if at all possible that you have the system "evacuated" by a shop or at the very least drop the compressor and drain all of the old oil from it .
            Then add new pag oil that is R134a friendly or charge with a can that has the oils already in it .

2)Also I would say overfill the system a bit with the R134 as nothing cools quite like the old skool R12 .

1)did you just copy my reply verbatim?

2) youre a fucking idiot

Comment

Hahahaha . Nice .

Don't you have some tires to plug ?? :D

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

I just released the rest of mine into the atmosphere. Whose gonna know?

My friend did the same.

I love the environment! :oops:

Great picture! lol
                - Sean Hayes

Comment

I buy the retrofit kits at walmart, pretty cheap, and we've converted like 5 or 6 cars already.

I even bought a big tank of r-134a since it was even cheaper than walmart, but you need an AC license or something ( I got the hookups at a local AC company, but they said they're not supposed to sell it to the public)

Comment

Works, been converted to r134a. Couldn't live without it in Florida.

Comment

yep, with the original R12. blows cold as hell too, on the way back from the E30 picnic my passengers said they were going to freeze to death :D

if it ever dies, I'll take it out, but until then..

and why would you vent your R12 into the atmosphere, when a refrigerant place will likely pay you money for it?
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My A/C blows cool air, nothing really cold. I'm not sure that I would even bother fixing it.

Comment

I just recently got the AC working on the 85, it's my first e30 so far with a working system. I went threw and repalced all the O-rings, dryer, pressure switch, and changed the oil. Threw some freon in and it's good to go.
                          85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Mine still works, but I only use it on the highway.

Comment

I need a compressor :(

Comment

My A/C has only ever worked on my Zinno 4 dr. On turbo...well it was converted and it never worked. Fuck R134 conversions. :P
                                :: PNW Crew ::
                                '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Working...
                                X