Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one who thinks Magnus Walker is a douche?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never heard of him but I'm glad no one was seriously injured and he didn't take out any other classics. There are still some things money cannot buy.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

A few years back I watched one of his self-produced clips about him and his cars. Midway through it switched gears and focused more on his clothing than the cars. Bait and switch. I am not a clothing enthusiast so I don't really care about this persona.
      I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
        A few years back I watched one of his self-produced clips about him and his cars. Midway through it switched gears and focused more on his clothing than the cars. Bait and switch. I am not a clothing enthusiast so I don't really care about this persona.
        He started and owns "hot topic" the clothing company..that's what made him his fortune. On top of that, now he gets paid by Porsche to do events. He's winning..that simple

Sent from my Samsung Note 4
        '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
        '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by ButtJuice View Post
          He appears arrogant, and also has horrible grammar skills.
          he should fit in with this forum then...
          '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
            He started and owns "hot topic" the clothing company..that's what made him his fortune. On top of that, now he gets paid by Porsche to do events. He's winning..that simple

No mention of MW.

I do think he owns a chain of stores called Contrived though ;)
            I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Topic

No mention of MW.

I do think he owns a chain of stores called Contrived though ;)
              Ok, my bad....he started wholesaling to "hot topic" back in '89 when they only had 5 stores back then.

Comment

Magnus Walker, the Porsche hunter, talks at TEDxUCLA tabout his life journey...the story, hopes and dreams. Listen to the MP3 Audio here:  Go with your gut feeling _ Magnus Walker _ TEDxUCLA TRANSCRIPT:  Hello! My

Comment

I believe his company is called "Serious Clothing." He started it from scratch after moving from England as a young man, and it's essentially his look of sort-of-worn-out rocker clothes.

I also read a company of his provides equipment and location support for photo shoots and film companies. He bought those warehouse properties in a run-down, rough area when they were cheap.

He's been driving old Porsches since he could afford one back when they were reasonable. I've read his SoCal track driving over the years has generated respect.

Everything I've read abut him says he is a pleasant person and a real gentleman. I think it's the recent self-promotion stuff and films and "urban outlaw" schtick that rubs people the wrong way.

The cars are cool, sure, but to me they're a variation of your R Gruppe, drilled handles, plastic lids, badass suspension, back-road 911 hot rod. It's not new, or particularly unique.

And that was some irresponsible, public-road-full-of-classics and his own parked truck, -driving. His skills may have helped him avoid wrecking someone else's car once he lost it, but he should never have put himself and others in that situation in the first place.

EDIT - Sorry, overlap with fresh td's info above^^^.
                  Last edited by LateFan; 08-29-2015, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I really don't think r3v is the right place to be all moral about speeds or driving behavior. Some of the videos ppl post on the r3v facebook page are much more dangerous, like turbo builds going full retard on public roads. And I don't see people condescending them in the replies.
                    I have no idea what he's like as a person, and judging by a video (the Urban Outlaw) is not a way to be objective about one's persona, so if this discussion is about judging a car enthusiast who stepped on the gas a little more than the situation permitted, I for one can't say I've never done the same. What I do believe is that he's the type of guy that will take a lesson from this, but only time will tell.

Comment

What I don't get is people calling others a douche, but don't know the person and have never met them. r3v logic

Comment

^ It's just people hopping on a bandwagon

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I never thought of him as a douche; it just always annoyed me that his fame largely comes from the fact that he's a British guy with a memorable name and that he sort of breaks the mold when it comes to being a Porsche enthusiast - some free-spirit rebel bum looking guy that "builds" unique Porsches, as if he's one of the few true enthusiasts out there who appreciates old 911s... Whatever.
                          My Feedback

Comment

Welllll ...... he's a nice enough guy in person.

He seems to have been good at capitalizing (marketing) when opportunity strikes, just like lots of other public figures.
                            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                              Welllll ...... he's a nice enough guy in person.

He seems to have been good at capitalizing (marketing) when opportunity strikes, just like lots of other public figures.
                              Originally posted by lambo View Post
                              ^ It's just people hopping on a bandwagon
                              Originally posted by Fusion View Post
                              I really don't think r3v is the right place to be all moral about speeds or driving behavior. Some of the videos ppl post on the r3v facebook page are much more dangerous, like turbo builds going full retard on public roads. And I don't see people condescending them in the replies.
                              I have no idea what he's like as a person, and judging by a video (the Urban Outlaw) is not a way to be objective about one's persona, so if this discussion is about judging a car enthusiast who stepped on the gas a little more than the situation permitted, I for one can't say I've never done the same. What I do believe is that he's the type of guy that will take a lesson from this, but only time will tell.
                              Totally agree with the above quotes. Lot of bandwagoning here.

I watched that one Urban Outlaw video that came out last year. He seemed like a pretty cool guy. Maybe his "builds" aren't particularly unique or original... so what? The guy has found a niche, and people seems to like what he's doing, and he's getting known for it. Like SkiFree said... he's taking legit advantage of his situation.

I think some people are just pissed/jealous that they can't be doing what he's doing.
                              Estoguy
                              1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

The dude is winning in every way possible... Why hate on the guy? "Am I the only one who thinks Magnus Walker is a douche? " lol OP has never met the guy or know him from a hole in the wall, yet he jumps to conclusion..GTFO

Comment

Working...
                                X