I finished my shop's website, take a look!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Looks like is uses lots of java. Messy as fuck too. and an XHTML template of some sort.

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    I'm not a web designer by any means, but I'll give it a shot. Here's a few ideas to make it look a little more modern. Still won't be great though.

    Background. Something dark and simple with a little bit of a pattern. I like this one: http://wallpaperlayer.com/img/2015/1...wallpapers.jpg

    Font. I like "Courier New." Your computer probably has it if it's a windows. Looks like a type writer font. I'd make it white (or off-white), or a very light grey.

    Get rid of the 'buttons' at the top, leave the text and make them links. Looks cleaner IMO, still just as functional. I would slim down the bar while you're at it. It looks bulky, and it also takes up space. I like that it's always there and you don't have to scroll back to the top, but it should be slimmer, since right now it's taking up valuable screen space. I hate when websites have a bar at the top, and a bar at the bottom leaving only a bit of space in the middle to actually read the content.

    I think those things will help, but I'm sure it'll still need work.

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Well the thing is the host I'm using doesn't use HTML or CSS except in an embedable HTML plugin. It does limit my options a bit, but I think if I spend some time looking at more "modern" sites I can find a workaround in the builder I have.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    If you want to get some design ideas do a free trial of one of those website builders just to play around with the styling. Then you can usually just copy the HTML and CSS coding from the page sources.

    Also there are quite a lot of youtube tutorials on HTML5 and CSS, and of course Javascript these days that can help out.

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930
    Function: Great. Simple and easy to use. Everything is where I expected it to be, and appears to be laid out well.

    Looks: Not impressive, but not bad. I don't know how important that is to you.

    One thing I did notice, though I haven't gone through the whole site, is that in the driver's section, when you go to someone's bio, and click on one of the cars they drive, it seems like several of them go to the wrong page. For example, the ones on your page all link to the Lotus 41. I like that there is basic contact info at the bottom of each page.
    Thank you! I went back through and tested each link; I found a few I missed the first time through. Hopefully they're all correct now!

    I'm happy with the current look but always open to ways to "modernize" it since I've heard it looks dated. I have no point of reference but would be willing to learn.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Now update the Elva build haha

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    Function: Great. Simple and easy to use. Everything is where I expected it to be, and appears to be laid out well.

    Looks: Not impressive, but not bad. I don't know how important that is to you.

    One thing I did notice, though I haven't gone through the whole site, is that in the driver's section, when you go to someone's bio, and click on one of the cars they drive, it seems like several of them go to the wrong page. For example, the ones on your page all link to the Lotus 41. I like that there is basic contact info at the bottom of each page.

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Originally posted by Massive Lee
    It worked after a few attempts.
    Time to move the server from your shed to your basement ;-)
    Okay, the basement was full but I got rid of the third cabinet of "special" magazines in my bedroom and put it there.
    Originally posted by lti_57
    nice Job on the web site
    easy to navigate not a lot of clutter

    And some great video of you and the Super 7 dude racing each other
    Thanks! I was trying to make it clear and simple to navigate so I'm glad to hear I succeeded!

    That Lotus Super 7 driver is very fast and a lot of fun to race. Dad and I have both had good races with him!

    Leave a comment:


  • lti_57
    replied
    nice Job on the web site
    easy to navigate not a lot of clutter

    And some great video of you and the Super 7 dude racing each other

    Leave a comment:


  • Massive Lee
    replied
    It worked after a few attempts.
    Time to move the server from your shed to your basement ;-)

    Leave a comment:


  • Kershaw
    replied
    The hug of death!

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Maybe r3vers crashed the server with millions of views!


    ....or maybe not. Did the site work okay once you got in?

    Leave a comment:


  • Massive Lee
    replied
    Error: Server Error

    The server encountered a temporary error and could not complete your request.
    Please try again in 30 seconds.

    I am on latest OSX (El Capitan) and running Chrome.

    Tried a few time, then it worked. Nice.

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Originally posted by CarsonE30
    Awe, no Laguna dates
    Great site though, so simple and straight forward and in the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "Every thing is right you expect it to be. Like James May's sock drawer."
    Haha, thanks. Don't fret; I think Laguna is on the schedule for next year!



    I've updated a couple things and added the ability for the menu bar to scroll with the page on the desktop version!

    Leave a comment:


  • CarsonE30
    replied
    Awe, no Laguna dates
    Great site though, so simple and straight forward and in the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "Every thing is right you expect it to be. Like James May's sock drawer."

    Leave a comment:

Working...