Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We bought my dad a present (Studebaker content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varg View Post
    WTF, I don't get you guys saying Avantis are ugly. They're awesome looking cars. The interiors are cool too.
    The car is like a girl with an amazing body and a really ugly face. From behind it's like...whoa. Even the side views it's got great lines. Then you get to the front and it's like someone went after it hard with an ugly stick.

I have to agree on the interior. All the airplane inspired switchgear is pretty damn cool.
    sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Originally posted by ajhostetter View Post
      The car is like a girl with an amazing body and a really ugly face. From behind it's like...whoa. Even the side views it's got great lines. Then you get to the front and it's like someone went after it hard with an ugly stick.

I have to agree on the interior. All the airplane inspired switchgear is pretty damn cool.
      oh man!! lol!!!

i don't think this could have been said any better! you just want to put a bag over her face and bend her over the couch.

honestly, aj, this is one of the coolest stories i have read here in a long time.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Not sure if joking, or...

Joking. A friend of mine just picked up a Newman-Altman Avanti, dark blue with a light blue interior. He's had a few over the years.

I agree with flyboyx, this is a Great story. Can't wait to hear/see more.
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
          oh man!! lol!!!

i don't think this could have been said any better! you just want to put a bag over her face and bend her over the couch.

honestly, aj, this is one of the coolest stories i have read here in a long time.
          Thanks man. We're excited. I'll get a video up on YouTube when we get it to the old man.
          sigpic

Comment

what an ugly car

cool gift though. todays my Dads birthday too actually. Its too bad he DGAF about cars
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Update: We were able to give the car to my dad. He knew that me and my older brother were going to be in town, the brother who lives in IA was already visiting. He had no idea my youngest brother was coming in. Friday was pretty stressful, as the car was barely running. It was severely loaded up and would only run with a good amount of ether in the carb. That, and the left front caliper was hanging pretty badly. My oldest brother was able to get the interior detailed and we limped it over to a friend's house to wash it. Feeling rather defeated (we didn't want to give him a project), I headed to my folk's house for dinner. About the time that my little brother was supposed to be heading over with the car, I got a call from him stating that we "needed to go to plan B." Asking what happened, he told me that he was trying to give the damn thing an Italian tune-up, and while earlier the car wouldn't rev over 3k, it finally puked out a cloud of smoke and "took off like a raped date" (his words, not mine). He went to slow it down at 70 mph, and the brake pedal went to the floor. Thankfully, with the inherent drivetrain braking abilities and his skilled driving, he was able to limp it to my dad's buddy's place. This is the Ferrari guy who stored it for a week. The metal line on the left front caliper had split and it was puking fluid all over. They were able to jury-rig it and block off the line, leaving it with a frightening, yet limp-able 3 wheel brake set up. They made it over to the house without incident.

Anyway, when they pulled up, my dad only saw his buddy in the passenger seat and assumed a friend of a friend had found one and they were showing it off. When he saw my little brother at the wheel, he then thought we were screwing with him and was thoroughly confused. Once he realized we were serious, he was just kind of in shock and ended up going to bed early. As of Saturday morning, it finally set in, and we were able to get 5 of the 6 of us together for a pic with the old man. I'll have a video soon, but needless to say it was really cool to be able to do this. My youngest brother is the one in the blue polo shirt in the pic, and I'm the second from the right. My pops is the guy in the glasses.

Attached Files
              Last edited by ajhostetter; 09-26-2016, 01:38 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Good stuff!! You only live once......gotta make it count!
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Bummer that it turned in to such a tricky venture, but that's always seems to be the case when you work with brothers.

Your dad looked mighty proud that his kids would do what you did for him.

Comment

Lots of smiles in that pic !!
                    Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

So awesome aj! Pics of engine please.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

He looks super happy in that picture, I'm glad it all worked out even though it started off a little rocky!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

I was looking forward to this update. The fact that your Dad was in that much disbelief, tells me you guys were spot on the mark. Well done, good luck on getting the bugs worked out!
                          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Shoot...no pics of the motor with the stainless covers for the plug wires, but I do have this little video. The car goes to a local shop next week to fix the brake lines, go through some final sorting. Here's a video of the engine running in Denver.

sigpic

Comment

Shoot...no pics of the motor with the stainless covers for the plug wires, but I do have this little video. The car goes to a local shop next week to fix the brake lines, go through some final sorting. Here's a video of the engine running in Denver.

I fixed your vid link.

Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                                I fixed your vid link.
                                Thanks. I always screw those up.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...