No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Off-Roading and 4x4 Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The owner of a dealership I used to work at bought a decked out Unimog setup as a camper. Never got to see it in person but it looked pretty amazing from the photos I was shown.

Anybody here have any luck with a "lunchbox" locker? Thinking about picking up one for the front diff in the 4runner, and track down an e-locker for the rear. I would do lunchboxes front and rear but my Wife drives the T4R most of the time and I don't expect her to "learn" how to drive it with one in the back. Shouldn't even notice the front is there unless in 4wd.

Just looking for opinions, they only run about $350-400.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
      Awesome! The expo WILL sway your opinion OR... I'll give you a ride in my diesel land cruiser and maybe I can convince you to have a separate rig for overlandy stuff?

By buying a diesel land cruiser outfit exactly how you want it?
      I will definitely take a ride in the diesel land cruiser if you're offering!

I'll keep that in mind. Really bonded with my truck since I bought it, so I'd prefer to modify and use it. But I have also done the heavily modified daily driver route with the E30 and understand how it can quickly get old. Definitely a first world problem. Haha

Let me know if you're coming into town before the expo officially starts. We can grab a bite to eat and camp if you want. I know a nice place on a mountainside probably 45 mins outside of town.

If anybody else plans to come to the expo, PM me and hopefully we can work out a time to meet/camp/look at cool stuff.

- Mike
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

So, I'm gonna try to start planning this little r3v 4x4 weekend out.

Anyone who is going or maybe is going should send me a PM with:

-Dates in May you can go on said type of 4x4 trip
        -Your approximate location, and how far you are willing to drive for meetup
        -Your 4x4 and its offroad capability
        -how long of a trip you will stay for (1 day, Weekend, FRI-SUN, More?)

Then in this thread if you have any trail suggestions or ideas for areas/routes to take you should post them.

There are tons of ideas we can go for, meet in 4 corners and drive somewhere, doing trails along the way. Pick a specific location and do all the trails around it, (this would be like doing moab weekend or estes park).

Really though, don't over or understate your 4x4 capability. Cause I/you guys need to chose trails all our rigs can handle, I don't think Ill have issues with 65* approach and departure angles, 30s, and solid axles, but some of you might if someone picks a crawler trail.
        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
        willschnitz

Comment

Hell yeah! I sent a PM.

Comment

Hells Revenge in Moab would be a lot of fun.

Comment

The route and trails are going to be highly dependent on the weather the rest of this winter. If the snow melts fairly quick I think Colorado would be a lot more expansive and off the beaten path in terms of trails and scale. But Utah is much more likely to be dry in May then Western Colorado.

It would be pretty cool to start in 4 corners, however that is ~7 hours from denver in a car that can manage 70-80mph (aka not the samurai) so that would mean Lambo and I, and you, would likely be making the trip to that area a day earlier, then starting the trip from there on a Friday if we did Friday - Sunday idea.

So far my Ideas consist of a couple plans:

Pick a city as a "home base" for the weekend, making hotels/camping easy to plan. Then each day pick a couple trails or a trail to go and do before returning back to the city.

Cities like:
              Moab
              Estes Park
              Telluride
              Grand Junction
              Denver
              Provo
              etc

Or the second idea which involves more road time, Start somewhere and end somewhere, with a different hotel/campground each night.

Ideas:

4Corners -> Moab
              4Corners -> Telluride/Ouray (This one is extremely dependent on weather, normally only opening up early June to take Imogene pass or Blackbear pass)
              Denver -> Grand Junction
              etc

Im gonna try and have some sort of plan by March, hoping late February there is a better idea what the rest of winter will be like. But input from everyone on where they would like to go most would be appreciated. Just cause I like Colorado more then Utah doesn't mean we should only do Colorado, and so on.

Hopefully more of my parts come by then too, Sliders are on the way, and I have to order my Tcase pan and probably do something about seating and headlights. Maybe build my sleeping platform in the samurai too.
              willschnitz

Comment

May is likely going to be a little bit early for the alpine loop there in CO. as there will still likely be a lot of snow at the upper reaches of most of the passes above 10k. Though it would be a cool trip and get a chance to do Black bear Pass would be awesome (which I think does not open till end of june and is on my short list of trips to do sometime soon) .

Moab and 4 Corners region should be all good and dry and ahead of the summer rains, but will be getting hot that time of year unless your going to be up a bit higher in elevations.

I would like to attend, but I highly doubt I will be able too as work will likely have me very busy by then. Job I am currently on will be all but done but looks like we have a lot work on the books for this year. that and I would be scrambling to get my rig ready unless I get home before mid march.. But I will be watching this thread and if its possible I might just show up. Rig is mildly preped FZJ80 on 33s and locked ( should go most places) Distance. If I can go I will, and will stay a for as long as I can
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Yeah Colorado is a long shot, It might be an end of summer trip for me when I come back instead.

Gonna be fun in Samurai with no AC for sure.
                  willschnitz

Comment

I have a mild overheating issue climbing grade, above 95* with the AC on I have chase down before I go play in southern UT in May as well
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Nice part about the samurai as it seems stupid reliable. It's started every time, even when it was -20 this winter.
                      willschnitz

Comment

Plan sounds great. I don't think Moab will be too hot in May. Wschnitz, where are you going to school?

I'd love to do the Black Bear pass but I don't see it being open then.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                          Plan sounds great. I don't think Moab will be too hot in May. Wschnitz, where are you going to school?

I'd love to do the Black Bear pass but I don't see it being open then.
                          UW Stout, Close to Minneapolis. So wanted to do something on way back home to Seattle WA rather then just driving at 55mph flat out on i90 for 2400 miles.
                          willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                            UW Stout, Close to Minneapolis. So wanted to do something on way back home to Seattle WA rather then just driving at 55mph flat out on i90 for 2400 miles.
                            Gotcha, I thought you lived in the midwest and were going to school in seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                              Gotcha, I thought you lived in the midwest and were going to school in seattle.
                              That would honestly be a better situation haha.
                              willschnitz

Comment

Took Samurai out for snow hooning.

Got flat tire.

Stopped getting spark in the middle of nowhere.

I quit life.
                                -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                                -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Working...
                                X