No announcement yet.

The Datsun Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first two vehicles I owned were 71 pickups (521?) and my mom bought a brand new B210. About 100 years before digital photography so no pictures sadly.

Comment

My Highschool punishment car (after being arrested going 120 on the 405 at 2am in my '72 Challenger) was a '76 B210 hatchback.

On the + side there was plenty of room for hatchback fun the Challenger didn't have.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        there should be some good updates after this weekend
        definitely. Bringing my camera this time too. Forgot mine last year and was so bummed
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
          definitely. Bringing my camera this time too. Forgot mine last year and was so bummed
          Im not going to be there until tomorrow and Im losing it... pics from the other forum of todays Roadsters on track

Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Vintage: Check!
            Sexy: Check!
            Great Road course: Check!

I'd rather watch some gentleman vintage racers than a drift even any day of the week. :) Some really sexy cars there. Thanks for the pics.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

ColdAccord, your ZG is the business. I'd do that fo sho.
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

i have a zillion photos that i need to get developed so I can post em here
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

My in car video from qualifying. I had an issue with the carbs the whole weekend that caused the engine not to rev past 5500 rpm. It was tough, but at least I was out there.

In car video from the #44 Ernie de Jacomo Datsun Roadster at the 2018 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion at Laguna Seca.

Will
                  '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                  '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                  '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post

My in car video from qualifying. I had an issue with the carbs the whole weekend that caused the engine not to rev past 5500 rpm. It was tough, but at least I was out there.

In car video from the #44 Ernie de Jacomo Datsun Roadster at the 2018 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion at Laguna Seca.

Will
                    You figure out what it was?

Twin DCOE 40s? Mikuni equivalent?
                    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                      You figure out what it was?

Twin DCOE 40s? Mikuni equivalent?
                      Hitachi SUs with a harmonics issue. I replaced literally every possible thing that could cause the issue, aside from the solid insulator blocks that go between the intake and carbs. (Trying to find a set of the early, rare rubber ones.) A friend of mine in Australia chased this exact issue for a year. The fix was the rubber carb mounts.

The weekend really irritated me. I spent literally every daylight moment working on the car and couldn't get it to work right. My personal car is 18 seconds a lap faster than this thing. That is about the distance from turn 11 to turn 2.

Still the opportunity to race at Monterey was hard to say no to. Also the opportunity to drive a car that has gone to the Runoffs 6 times and finished as high as 4th place (1986) was hard to pass up. No, it didn't run like it should, but it wasn't something easily fixed without knowing what was going on and having the right parts. I'd guess there were 40 people who looked at the car trying to figure out what its issue was, and no one had the answer. There were a lot of people saying ignition system so I replaced 100% of it to no avail. Then people were saying the carbs are too lean and to fatten them up. Ok, well they were partly right, but the cause for the lean condition was wrong.

Considering it was the cars 2nd time on track in 25 years and I had successfully fixed all but the carb issue from the first time out only two weeks before, I'd say the car actually did pretty well. I could have been in the mix with the carbs working, and I wouldn't have been tearing my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong with it. It likely would have been like running my car. Show up, check the valve clearance and tire pressure, go run, come back, give it a once over and go enjoy the rest of the day.

Will
                      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Deep into a rabbit hole of Nissan and Datsun enthusiasts is where you’ll find a small sub-segment who find their vintage Japanese fix within the realms of a little car that can do a lot of damage. It’s odd, because when I think of vintage Datsun/Nissan racing pedigree, I automatically think of the 510 and …
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Great looking car!

I'd like to see dyno charts to back up the 500hp claim though - that would seem a lot even with the 2.2L stroker kit.

Rather than throwing SR20s into everything though, if I was going to mod a Nissan that way these days I think I'd go an S14 with the Rocket Bunny Boss kit. Retro looks, but with out hacking up anything that's actually retro, and it's not like S14s are going to be in any way collectable.

My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Could have sworn I posted this, but I guess I never did.

My buddy’s 510. He’s had this for 20 years. I remember when it got t boned and sat at the body shop did 6 months waiting for a quarter panel replacement.

He had the worst luck with his cars being involved in freak accidents.

90 Bronzit 325is
                            16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                              Great looking car!

I'd like to see dyno charts to back up the 500hp claim though - that would seem a lot even with the 2.2L stroker kit.

Rather than throwing SR20s into everything though, if I was going to mod a Nissan that way these days I think I'd go an S14 with the Rocket Bunny Boss kit. Retro looks, but with out hacking up anything that's actually retro, and it's not like S14s are going to be in any way collectable.

That is cool looking. S13/14s may become collectable with the way the drift crowd is destroying them. I looked for a s14 a few years ago, everything I found was hacked up & 5 times the price it should have been. I was really hoping Nissan was going to build the new 510 concept the put out years ago, similar look to that body kit. Or at least give us a new version of the z car for the 50th anniversary.

Comment

I wanted to share this video. Its not a new one at all, in fact it is a period piece

but the real joy was the emotion / reaction that people still have to this day about it.

Bring a Trailer has reposted the video a few times now and the commentary is fun

Learn more about BaT Video Inspiration: Against All Odds the Datsun 510 Wins Trans-Am on Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online.

add to that is the fact that Peter Brock himself is still around and well, so he just gave his take on the matter too

enjoy!
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X