Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R3v talk me out of/into getting a 4.4l E53 X5.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought you were in Vegas [emoji14] but yea my dad's beat ass Toyota solid axel we could sell for 4k with 300k on it

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Comment

We had a 2004 4wd CRV that was beat up by all three kids (and was still in good condition) and we sold in 2015 for 5k with 87k and it was from Mexico with KM as the main displayed number so we had to wait to find someone that understood 140,000 was 87k miles.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
        I’d be totally content with getting like 25 mpg if possible. And I drive like a total grandma most the time so I wouldn’t be surprised if I could get more than 25 in a subaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I doubt it. We got like 21-22 at best. Didnt seem to matter how we drove it. Also it was slow as balls.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
          I thought you were in Vegas [emoji14] but yea my dad's beat ass Toyota solid axel we could sell for 4k with 300k on it

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
          yeah theres a huge Hawaiian population here in Vegas. it's really cool actually, cool culture, really good food.

Originally posted by nando View Post
          I doubt it. We got like 21-22 at best. Didnt seem to matter how we drove it. Also it was slow as balls.

well thats pretty lame. the subie i was looking at (2003 3.0 H6) is listed for a combined MPG of 19, where as the 4wd honda has a combined of 21 MPG.

honestly in terms of reliability and gas im more into the honda. i bet they are both about the same in the snow in terms of the 4wd system, atleast with decent tires.

Comment

Just say no to BMW v8’s the n62 in the e53 isnt as bad as the n63 and later n62 but they still have timing chain guide issues, rod bearing issues, valve stem seals go bad. My buddy just bought an e53 4.8is last august its been a money pit.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Subies feel hollow and get worse mileage than expected. That CRV's 4wd is notoriously useless...just get a 4runner with 200k+

The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Getting 22 City and 26mpg highway out of my Diesel Grand Cherokee, real 4wd and locking front/rear diffs.

Only issue is finding one under 8-9k.

The drivetrain is Mercedes on the 07-08 models.
                No E30 Club
                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Stay away from M62 and M62TU unless you KNOW for a fact the timing chain guides have been done.

Otherwise carry on.
                  1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                    Getting 22 City and 26mpg highway out of my Diesel Grand Cherokee, real 4wd and locking front/rear diffs.

Only issue is finding one under 8-9k.

The drivetrain is Mercedes on the 07-08 models.

Can't speak for the diesel but my current job had 10+ of these Jeeps with the V6's/V8's since new. The amount of problems that these SUV's had was just insane. Left me stranded more then once and these were maintained via a fleet manager. It was entertaining how much money was spent on repairs that shouldn't have been needed on a 100k vehicle. Most of them didn't get more then 130k before they hit the auction.

By far the worst vehicles ever, absolute garbage. I would stay very, very, very far away.
                    1989 325ix
                    1992 325ic 770A
                    2002 M3

Comment

Dunno, this one is a 2008, 200k miles and full maintenance records. The engine in it is known to last 500k + when maintained.

Aside from a couple things he had to spend money on at 150k it doesn't look too bad from the records. Interior still looks new, everything works, buttons aren't worn.

Solid rig from what I've seen.
                      No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                        Stay away from M62 and M62TU unless you KNOW for a fact the timing chain guides have been done.

Otherwise carry on.
                        Or just replace them? Its not a big deal for an otherwise great engine.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                          Or just replace them? Its not a big deal for an otherwise great engine.
                          I'm slated to do some on a 4.6 x5 in the coming weeks. Not looking forward to it.

Agree it's a great engine. Two friends have 740iLs that have both had the chains/guides done. Awesome powerplant.

Mostly a forewarning. It's going to get done, if you pay a little for the truck and have it done/do it, or you pay more for one that's been done.

Comment

I'm slated to do some on a 4.6 x5 in the coming weeks. Not looking forward to it.

Agree it's a great engine. Two friends have 740iLs that have both had the chains/guides done. Awesome powerplant.

Mostly a forewarning. It's going to get done, if you pay a little for the truck and have it done/do it, or you pay more for one that's been done.
                            Its a pay to play kinda thing, if we want reliable we'd all be driving boring Toyota Camry's.

I feel somewhat better know I need to redo the timing system every 100K versus anything else where it may or may not let go.

Just did them on my Range in fact, same deal, plastic guides.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                              Just did them on my Range in fact, same deal, plastic guides.
                              M62 or the Jag engine?

I'm seriously thinking of a LR3 in the next year or so.

Comment

M62 or the Jag engine?

I'm seriously thinking of a LR3 in the next year or so.
                                5L Jag/Ford Engine, 2010 - 2012 had guide issues, new design in 13 (Mines an 11). the 4.2L's didn't have the issue iirc.

5L Direct Injection 375/375, even in non SC trim its fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                X