Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealer holding plates haaaalp? (California)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealer holding plates haaaalp? (California)

So I've had my preowned truck about a month and the dealer called saying they had my plates.
    Cool but they want me to pay the difference that the registration cost them above their estimate about $230 more I've paid everything else and I do not owe them money otherwise, is it their fault that their estimate was wrong or is, this a common practice?

I can pay if I really need to but it just seems sketchy

I've also thought about just asking to see what the plates look like and get em in hand and going for the door

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
    So I've had my preowned truck about a month and the dealer called saying they had my plates.
    Cool but they want me to pay the difference that the registration cost them above their estimate about $230 more I've paid everything else and I do not owe them money otherwise, is it their fault that their estimate was wrong or is, this a common practice?

I can pay if I really need to but it just seems sketchy

I've also thought about just asking to see what the plates look like and get em in hand and going for the door
    I don't think they're trying to scam you. You can easily ask to see the registration paperwork and see what the actual fee was. I would not try to 'steal' them.
    Instagram
    Build Thread

F87 2020 M2 Competition Coupe Long Beach Blue/Black w/Blue Stitching
    F22 2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black (Sold)
    E46 2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
    E30 1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
    E30 1986 325es Coupe Alpine White/Pearl Beige

Comment

why were the plates shipped to the dealer, and not to you in the 1st place ????? Never had such a thing happen, even when I have bought from a dealer the plates were always mailed to my home address........ Or is this a "CALIFORNIA" thing......
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
        why were the plates shipped to the dealer, and not to you in the 1st place ????? Never had such a thing happen, even when I have bought from a dealer the plates were always mailed to my home address........ Or is this a "CALIFORNIA" thing......
        Cars can be assault weapons too!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by venerated View Post
          I don't think they're trying to scam you. You can easily ask to see the registration paperwork and see what the actual fee was. I would not try to 'steal' them.
          I know, they do that if you have not payed all of the agreed payments but I paid everything at the time I took control of the vehicle so that's where I see it as a, grey area it's not my fault their registration estimate was wrong

Comment

I know, they do that if you have not payed all of the agreed payments but I paid everything at the time I took control of the vehicle so that's where I see it as a, grey area it's not my fault their registration estimate was wrong

The point is if the registration was more than you paid, you owe it. I’m sure there’s no guarantee from them that they know the exact amount of registration. I don’t know why you’re taking it as them trying to scam you. If you look at the registration paperwork it will say the fees, which you can compare against what you paid and then be able to know if it’s more than you paid or not.
            Instagram
            Build Thread

F87 2020 M2 Competition Coupe Long Beach Blue/Black w/Blue Stitching
            F22 2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black (Sold)
            E46 2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
            E30 1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
            E30 1986 325es Coupe Alpine White/Pearl Beige

Comment

Cars can be assault weapons too!

10 day cooling off period before you can take your plates home and drive your truck lol
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

Tell them your broke and to take the truck back and give you all your money back.

Works 70% of the time 100% of the time.

Comment

yea guess ill have to i just hate dealerships i almost always buy private party but tacos around here are hard to find

Comment

In texas that is illegal not sure about California

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

To my knowledge, CA used car dealers must include plates/titling fees (unless otherwise noted, I would think). I bought my preowned 4Runner from a Toyota dealer in Arizona last year, so it was on me to get it titled/inspected/plated.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                        To my knowledge, CA used car dealers must include plates/titling fees (unless otherwise noted, I would think).
                        see that is what ive always thought if its roped into my financing and they did an estimate that is their fault for giving an incorrect estimate.

Comment

What does your paperwork show? Check to see if it says anything about owing the difference. If it doesn't, tell them to shove it.

Comment

Weird, as far as I know there is no estimate of titling a vehicle in CA. It's a set formula, available on the CA DMV website. Heck it'll even include back fees if you type in the tag and VIN. The car should have come with plates if it was used, unless they were passed due. Did it come from out of state? I'd ask them to send you the revised paperwork and compare it to what you originally signed.
                            Build Threads:
                            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Afaik there is no "estimate" for registration. Never seen that. Though California dealers do seem to be some of the worst. When I bought my e53 4.8is there they made me pay CA taxes to be able to drive it off the lot even though the vehicle would never be registered in CA.
                              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                              -----------------------------------------
                              91 318is Turbo Sold
                              87 325 Daily driver Sold
                              06 4.8is X5
                              06 Mtec X3
                              05 4.4i X5 Sold
                              92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                              90 325i Sold
                              97 328is Sold
                              01 323ci Sold
                              92 325i Sold
                              83 528e Totaled