Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy an ultrasonic wash tank...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy an ultrasonic wash tank...

Any recommendations? Don't need a giant one. It will be to mostly wash hardware and small parts.

thx
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

how deep are your pockets? a good one will set you back a lot of money.

the cheapies on ebay are all made in china and about the same. buying a quality used model off ebay is not advisable. electronics are subject to the same continous vibration your parts are while they are in the bath. as a result, ultrasonic wave generators and tank heaters fail....fairly often. they cost a lot to fix if you are lucky enough for the model to be not obsolete.

harbor freight sells a couple small models. the larger of the two costs about 80 bucks iirc.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I thought about getting one of the cheap ebay ones, but never pulled the trigger. Interested in hearing what you decide to purchase
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I used to work at a company that had many of the Crest and Ultrasonic brand tanks. They were 10-15 gallons each and from what I recall, $3000+ a piece. Don't want to spend that much - ideally, i would be after something about a third that size and hopefully under $800 or so. I was given a used 10 gallon unit from my old job, with a bad heater. After looking up what a heater control unit cost, I scrapped the tank. Not worth it at all.

I considered the eBay ones myself, but that never pans out well for me - probably not going to do that.

Suggestions welcome!

Comment

I bought a chinese Ebay one and it works great.
          I have cleaned a bunch of stuff in it and so far no drama.
          My only regret is that I wish I would have bought a bigger one. I think mine is 16 litres and I was wanting the 22 or 30 and backpedaled to the 16 thinking it would be fine.
          I wish it was bigger (deeper).

I use it when I do caliper rebuilds, they come out squeeky clean.
          I just cleaned my future project 50mm S38 TBs in there and they also came out very nice.

I wouldnt hesitate buying one again for a second.
          Hell if its a job you would otherwise have to pay to send out to have cleaned, it will pay for itself in one or two uses so even if it dies after a year or two just buy another one.
          I asked a machine shop for a price on getting a set of calipers electro cleaned and I think they said $40,,, the thing I bought was $150 and I have done multiple sets of calipers, plus TBs and assorted other brackets, etc.
          Plus,,, if the wife ever wants to use it for jewelry,,, you and your tools are a hero!
          Last edited by JimmyP; 07-01-2019, 10:25 AM.
          Jimmy P.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
          92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
          98 318Ti Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
            I bought a chinese Ebay one and it works great.
            I have cleaned a bunch of stuff in it and so far no drama.
            My only regret is that I wish I would have bought a bigger one. I think mine is 16 litres and I was wanting the 22 or 30 and backpedaled to the 16 thinking it would be fine.
            I wish it was bigger (deeper).

I use it when I do caliper rebuilds, they come out squeeky clean.
            I just cleaned my future project 50mm S38 TBs in there and they also came out very nice.

I wouldnt hesitate buying one again for a second.
            Hell if its a job you would otherwise have to pay to send out to have cleaned, it will pay for itself in one or two uses so even if it dies after a year or two just buy another one.
            I asked a machine shop for a price on getting a set of calipers electro cleaned and I think they said $40,,, the thing I bought was $150 and I have done multiple sets of calipers, plus TBs and assorted other brackets, etc.
            Plus,,, if the wife ever wants to use it for jewelry,,, you and your tools are a hero!
            Glad to have a first hand review! Do you have a link to the one you bought? Also, what detergents do you use for your parts cleaning?

AB

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
              They were 10-15 gallons each... !
              Wow...and I was trying to price one that just barely fits a single Weber carburetor.

Ran into the same issue as these guys - cheap Chinese units or very expensive ones. Put off the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                Glad to have a first hand review! Do you have a link to the one you bought? Also, what detergents do you use for your parts cleaning?

AB
                I bought mine from these guys:

but it looks like that same unit could be had from numerous different suppliers on Ebay.
                I could not believe how fast it showed up. They must have these things sitting in warehouses all over. It was literally at my door in two days, I was expecting a week because it said Ontario CA (opposite side of the US).

As for cleaners I have used a bunch of different things.
                On my calipers which are aluminum I used Dawn dish soap.
                On my TBs I used Pine Cleaner which has this whole cult following.
                On steel parts I use Simple Green or Purple Power which really works well when you heat it and agitate it.
                There are loads of nerdy threads all over the interwebs about the different cleaners guys use in their ultrasonics for different things.
                Beware, its a rabbit hole LOL.
                Last edited by JimmyP; 07-02-2019, 02:18 PM.
                Jimmy P.
                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                98 318Ti Morea Green
                04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Ha, wow, I am not the only one. I went through this a few years ago and ended up giving up! It's encouraging to hear that at least one person has had a positive experience with the cheap import models.

e30austin, what did you end up doing with that freebie 10gal one? If you still have it, I'd be interested in paying for it to be shipped down. I do a lot of electronics repair and could probably make it work. I also get a super duper shipping discount with UPS through my employer, if you are willing to box it up.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Sorry man, I scrapped it when I moved. :/

Comment

I remembered the ones I was looking at....
                      Not cheap, but seem to be good quality.

Ultrasonic carburettor cleaners for professional carb cleaning in a workshop or garage. Ideal for a motorcycle carburettor or large car engine size.

Comment

I bought a 6L one from the "wish" app. I think it cost like 70 bucks. I wish I bought a bigger one, but it's been helpful with cleaning chainsaw parts. I use super clean and dawn dish soap for different materials.

One trick to help the longevity of the cleaning solution, put the parts in a glass jar with the solution and submerged it in plain water in the USC, that way you don't have to keep replacing a lot of cleaning solution. A few drops of ammonia from what I've read also helps
                        1991 318is ---230K - DD
                        1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                        so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

I don't have anything pertinent to add, other than this;

Buy construction equipment, Humvees, trucks, uniforms & field gear, home & office goods, medical equipment, unclaimed property & more. All sales open to the public.

Man I love government surplus.
                          84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                          Manual swap all the things!

Comment

oooo.....I could do TWO carbs at once!

And right down the road for you!

Comment

i don't have anything pertinent to add other than this:

i picked up 3 old school ultrasonics today. i went against my own advice and purchased old used units. the reason why was because the grand total was 65.00. the left 2 work great. the one on the right blows the fuse when i turn it on.

the little one heats up pretty fast. the big one takes forever.

they came with 2 spare utrasonic tubes which is a good thing because i am pretty sure no one has made them in over 30 years. i guess i have a 4th tube in the third machine, so i assume these will last me a good long time.
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                              X