• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melon
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    grew up on a farm,

a couple years in h/s as a line cook/dishwasher

spent about a decade building roads, and municipal water/sewer systems with some odd ball demolition, environmental reclamation and building trades jobs as Laborer. I learned a lot about how big projects are built, and life in general.

Last 10 years or so I jumped over to the QA/QC side of construction and currently a Muliti method Level 2 NDE tech working mostly in the Energy business, as a small part of some of most high profile miltibillion dollar projects in recent years. Travel sucks but it pays the bills and I might get to retire before I am dead.
    +2 For energy business.

Leave a comment:

• Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
    . Now I'm at Leatherman tool. Started as an operator in the machining department, worked my way up to group lead and now am a manufacturing engineer tech.
    You familiar with Freddie Matera? What are your thoughts on his work?
    https://www.freddiematara.com/
    He makes mostly high end leather accessories.

Leave a comment:

• DealinDave@Blunttech.com
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
    Now I'm at Leatherman tool.
    The new Free series is a far cry from my original 25+year old PST in a good way. I still use my original almost daily but all of the new features make me really want to pick up a P4.

I've worked in the automotive industry in some fashion for about 15 years. I started washing cars in high school and as a lot bitch, detailed cars for a while and became a service writer. Working at dealerships have a funny way of sapping virtually any enthusiasm you have for cars though so I was looking to get out of it. I finally found a job in the industry I like, selling BMW parts and BMW accessories (in my best Arlen accent)

Leave a comment:

• AndrewBird
    replied
    Went to school for manufacturing and got my associates degree. Worked a short bit at Nosler making bullets, then worked at a machine shop as a machinist for a few years. Now I'm at Leatherman tool. Started as an operator in the machining department, worked my way up to group lead and now am a manufacturing engineer tech. This is the best place I've ever worked. Super great company. Started going back to school working towards my bachelor's in manufacturing engineering.

Leave a comment:

• Metallated
    replied
    Originally posted by majdomo View Post
    Noticing a lot of problem solving type gigs...the best days at work are when I figure out how to solve something that’s stumped everyone else :)
    I guess E30s and all their problems attract us

I'm in college and am hoping to do something mixing chemistry, mechanical engineering, and coding.

Managed to land an internship this summer building robots to dissect mosquitoes with malaria

Leave a comment:

• Powling
    replied
    Currently: a Creative Director for an event marketing / production company. Essentially we have large brands (beer, spirits, automotive, etc.) come to us with an idea, we tell them how to do it and then we actually go and do it. Here's an example of the types of events we do.

Been there for 6.5 years, before that I worked for a few agencies as a graphic designer since graduating for graphic design.

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Noticing a lot of problem solving type gigs...the best days at work are when I figure out how to solve something that’s stumped everyone else :)

Ezekiel 25:17

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Sheeet...

Started off working at the port of Long Beach unloading freights

Worked as a weed delivery guy for a bit, then a restaurant as a bus boy before I got into automotive.

Been at the shop for 8 years now

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    grew up on a farm,

a couple years in h/s as a line cook/dishwasher

spent about a decade building roads, and municipal water/sewer systems with some odd ball demolition, environmental reclamation and building trades jobs as Laborer. I learned a lot about how big projects are built, and life in general.

Last 10 years or so I jumped over to the QA/QC side of construction and currently a Muliti method Level 2 NDE tech working mostly in the Energy business, as a small part of some of most high profile miltibillion dollar projects in recent years. Travel sucks but it pays the bills and I might get to retire before I am dead.
    Last edited by mrsleeve; 07-21-2019, 02:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kickinindian
    replied
    I currently work as a hotel maintenance guy I'm usually on call and am a jack of all trades (electrical, hvac, carpenter, etc.) makes decent money but it's California so w/e

Previously out of highschool waited banquets, guided tours, and my personal fav. Was marking timber, but it's only seasonal and if you want full time jobs in the forest service then a bachelor is pretty much the only way but then you don't do any field work because your stuck in the office all the time so had to let that go.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    10 years Automotive repair.

6 years Railroad.

Auto industry was great for honing my troubleshooting and repair skills. Those skills have allowed me to climb the ranks on the railroad very quickly.

I'll never go back to automotive.

Leave a comment:

• cheffy30
    replied
    executive chef. 34 years in the kitchen. 45+ operations never had a job outside of those walls.
    currently a task force chef for a hospitality company with 37 properties. i love my job. my e30 has been hauling shit for 18 of those years. oh the stories there...

Leave a comment:

• Reichart12
    replied
    It's cool to see the diversity we have here. I'm currently starting year 4 of 5 in a biochemistry PhD program. I work with microbes from hot springs looking for novel thermostable enzymes for lignocellulose degradation. Hoping to end up in Seattle at a biotech company, anything research related would be great.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan...
    replied
    Current:
    Police Officer

Past:
    Property Manager (did this for 3 years while also being a polis)
    Armed Security
    General Maint. worker for yachts/boats (canvas work, small mechanical jobs)

^^ Those were jobs I could afford to survive on.

Then you have some BS high school factory jobs, Taco Bell, paper routes, all going back to the age of 7 when I got my first paycheck.

Leave a comment:

• Melon
    replied
    Overall Industry: Oil & Gas

Job: Civil/Structural Designer.

I do 3D modeling of earthwork, concrete and steel structures for refineries and chemical plants for the Gulf South. It's an interesting job, lots of problem solving and developing creative solutions for clients.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X