X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• me_john85
    replied
    Aircraft mechanic/ Inspector

After high school I did 5 years in the USMC as a V-22 Osprey mechanic. Got out went to a tech school got my A&P license and worked part time night job at a flight school.

Currently have my IA and I am an team lead/ inspector at a part 145 repair station.

I inspect aircraft, do engine work, sheet metal, avionics and anything else. Also loads of paperwork.
    Last edited by me_john85; 08-04-2019, 03:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SkiFree
    replied
    Originally posted by majdomo View Post
    Agreed. Problem solving skills and mechanical know-how are always in demand, just need to figure out how to apply in an area of interest.
    Have you considered machining or welding? Would apply to a lot more than just automotive and would remain relevant if you went back for engineering.

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
    Automotive is a great place to learn. Then apply those skills to something that will let you retire without wearing out your body by the time you are 45.

Agreed. Problem solving skills and mechanical know-how are always in demand, just need to figure out how to apply in an area of interest.

Funny, was thinking back to my GE days, when guys from corporate audit staff always moved up into management...most without a day’s experience working on the line on what they actually made / built. And then ran the company into the ground. I guess that worked out just fine, right?

Ezekiel 25:17

Leave a comment:

• Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    Automotive is a great place to learn. Then apply those skills to something that will let you retire without wearing out your body by the time you are 45.

Leave a comment:

• efficient
    replied
    dang crazy to read that some of you left jobs after 10+ years.

Leave a comment:

• SkiFree
    replied
    I've always wanted to create fun stuff, so the goal was always to combine an arts/design degree with an engineering degree.

Out of high-school I started as a ski-bum working the mountain for a couple years, saving every penny to go to Italy and study automotive design. Returned to the US and moved down to California. Jeff at Ireland Engineering took me in. Timing was great, given that this was right as the 2002/e30's were going mainstream (circa 2009-ish)... by the time I left he somehow let me be general manager and US product-development lead. Got to know so many great people in that time, including plenty of you douchebags. Left to work at GMG Racing doing new race-car stuff. Left after a year (new race cars are boring in comparison to restoring cars) to go back to school for that engineering degree.

Started my own bmw-parts business making parts to keep food on the table for my family while going back to school. Work part time at CoupeKing rebuilding Coupes/2002's. School is full-time.

Earned an engineering internship this summer building satellites/space-stuff, really hoping it turns into a part-time job, it feels like a career opportunity (and that I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel in regards to that childhood goal).

Never stop, never never never never ever never. Read lots of biographies and stay inspired. Life is short, we will all be dead before you know it.
    Last edited by SkiFree; 08-03-2019, 04:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• agent
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    Going to miss working with the guys in the crews and some of the subcontractors, but not the owner.
    The nice thing about changing employers is you get to pick and choose who you maintain contact with. I have a handful of friends from my last half dozen or so jobs that I still get together with on a regular basis. Hell, I married one of them.

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    Auto industry is tough..

Would not recommend lol

Heard that. Have plans to change soon?

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    According to the tool guys this past spring being randomly slow caused at least 10 local shops to close down, and this is out of maybe 25 shops that could be called local. That level of attrition is something I've only seen in the manufacturing sector.

As to me, BA US Hist, which somehow landed me working ops in a small construction co., but am heading elsewhere in the near future, simply tired of coming home most every day dirty, that and the variable hours/driving are getting to me. Rewarding on a lot of days, but like anything, when SHTF it's awful, and the buck (or blame, but rarely reward) stops with me, yay middle management. Going to miss working with the guys in the crews and some of the subcontractors, but not the owner.

That’s crazy about the local shops. Sucks.

I think it’s tough to work in industry in general. Seems like a lot of change and not much direction, and a lot of good people getting squeezed as a result. Mgmt cares but it doesn’t, really, because there’s always a shareholder or a hedge fund (or the owner) up their ass trying to make another buck.

If I knew how to not play that game without a ton of up-front capital, I’d be all for it.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    Auto industry is tough..

Would not recommend lol

According to the tool guys this past spring being randomly slow caused at least 10 local shops to close down, and this is out of maybe 25 shops that could be called local. That level of attrition is something I've only seen in the manufacturing sector.

As to me, BA US Hist, which somehow landed me working ops in a small construction co., but am heading elsewhere in the near future, simply tired of coming home most every day dirty, that and the variable hours/driving are getting to me. Rewarding on a lot of days, but like anything, when SHTF it's awful, and the buck (or blame, but rarely reward) stops with me, yay middle management. Going to miss working with the guys in the crews and some of the subcontractors, but not the owner.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Auto industry is tough..

Would not recommend lol

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Was up at 4am this morning researching what it takes to become an ASE certified mechanic.

There are definitely days when I would rather just wrench (even though I’m a total noob) than go to the office.

Leave a comment:

• Slybeanx
    replied
    Student

Just finished my BA in psych at Marquette, going to get my J.D at loyola. now. I've done behavioral therapy with children with autism, plumbing, IT and now over the summer I am a teller.

Leave a comment:

• ST1G
    replied
    I earned a Bachelors in Business. I was a Financial Advisor right out of college, didn't like it much. Hated finding clients. Decided to quit and find something else. Got a job as a Service Advisor at a International diesel dealer. Its been fun to learn about class 8 trucks and how it all works. I will move on to something else eventually, but for now its good fun.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    So, Andrew - both of my kids are obsessed with knives/multitools (not in a creepy serial killer way, but in a healthy boy kind of way). Their favorite tools are their Leatherman Squirts. My oldest lost his at a campout and he cried for like 3 days, lol.

He used his own money to buy a different brand at a scout campout, and even at 9 he knew it was kinda crappy compared to his Leatherman. :)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X