Auto industry is tough..

Would not recommend lol

Heard that. Have plans to change soon?

Ezekiel 25:17

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    According to the tool guys this past spring being randomly slow caused at least 10 local shops to close down, and this is out of maybe 25 shops that could be called local. That level of attrition is something I've only seen in the manufacturing sector.

As to me, BA US Hist, which somehow landed me working ops in a small construction co., but am heading elsewhere in the near future, simply tired of coming home most every day dirty, that and the variable hours/driving are getting to me. Rewarding on a lot of days, but like anything, when SHTF it's awful, and the buck (or blame, but rarely reward) stops with me, yay middle management. Going to miss working with the guys in the crews and some of the subcontractors, but not the owner.

That’s crazy about the local shops. Sucks.

I think it’s tough to work in industry in general. Seems like a lot of change and not much direction, and a lot of good people getting squeezed as a result. Mgmt cares but it doesn’t, really, because there’s always a shareholder or a hedge fund (or the owner) up their ass trying to make another buck.

If I knew how to not play that game without a ton of up-front capital, I’d be all for it.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    Auto industry is tough..

Would not recommend lol

According to the tool guys this past spring being randomly slow caused at least 10 local shops to close down, and this is out of maybe 25 shops that could be called local. That level of attrition is something I've only seen in the manufacturing sector.

As to me, BA US Hist, which somehow landed me working ops in a small construction co., but am heading elsewhere in the near future, simply tired of coming home most every day dirty, that and the variable hours/driving are getting to me. Rewarding on a lot of days, but like anything, when SHTF it's awful, and the buck (or blame, but rarely reward) stops with me, yay middle management. Going to miss working with the guys in the crews and some of the subcontractors, but not the owner.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Auto industry is tough..

Would not recommend lol

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Was up at 4am this morning researching what it takes to become an ASE certified mechanic.

There are definitely days when I would rather just wrench (even though I’m a total noob) than go to the office.

Leave a comment:

• Slybeanx
    replied
    Student

Just finished my BA in psych at Marquette, going to get my J.D at loyola. now. I've done behavioral therapy with children with autism, plumbing, IT and now over the summer I am a teller.

Leave a comment:

• ST1G
    replied
    I earned a Bachelors in Business. I was a Financial Advisor right out of college, didn't like it much. Hated finding clients. Decided to quit and find something else. Got a job as a Service Advisor at a International diesel dealer. Its been fun to learn about class 8 trucks and how it all works. I will move on to something else eventually, but for now its good fun.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    So, Andrew - both of my kids are obsessed with knives/multitools (not in a creepy serial killer way, but in a healthy boy kind of way). Their favorite tools are their Leatherman Squirts. My oldest lost his at a campout and he cried for like 3 days, lol.

He used his own money to buy a different brand at a scout campout, and even at 9 he knew it was kinda crappy compared to his Leatherman. :)

Leave a comment:

• AndrewBird
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
    You familiar with Freddie Matera? What are your thoughts on his work?
    LIVE❋LOVE♥️LEATHER✌❤️🙏🏽💫

He makes mostly high end leather accessories.
    Not what Leatherman does. Lol This is what we do:

Leave a comment:

• ButtJuice
    replied
    Sr. Mortgage Banker.

I’m 28 & have been in finance for the last 5 years, my main business is refinancing but help out with the occasional home purchase. One of our R3v brothers actually has a refi in process with one of my colleagues as I type this! If any of you homeowners ever have questions/seeking advice shoot me a PM.

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Originally posted by Powling View Post
    That was incredibly helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to vomit that info.
    Seconded. Thanks for taking the time! I think it’d be harder here in LA, but maybe it’s just that the numbers are bigger than most places. Plus it takes skill to not screw up even if you have some advantages and contacts and prior experience and interest. Witness my suspension fiasco a few weeks back.

Starting early is a HUGE advantage in anything you do. RE investing, school, career, trade - it’s hard to understate how valuable it is to NOT have certain attachments and responsibilities to attend to while pursuing these things just starting out. I feel kind of behind in being able to do RE partly because it’s tough to convince a wife and kids to have a roommate. A duplex would be an easier sell, but that would involve pulling the kids out of school and moving... you get the picture.

Attributed to a Chinese proverb or fortune cookie, idk which: The best time to start was 10 years ago. The second best time to start is right now.

My guess is that I’ll kind of have to do what I’ve done with my mechanic skills, which is to say, bootstrap for a while, pay my dues and hope I don’t lose my shirt in the process.

Last edited by majdomo; 07-25-2019, 01:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    @MR E30 325is Good stuff! I plan to turn our current 2/2.5 Townhouse in Inglewood into a rental in a few years. Ive been looking at updating things that MUST be updated and add the most value to the place. I pay extra principal every month to try and build up equity as fast as possible.

I think you're partially lucky, but the discipline and some smart moves got the jump start going. I wont get into specifics, but I know a few people who have excellent circumstances that should have rentals and crazy cashflow coming in each month, but instead they have used their circumstances to live an easier, lazier life... Sure its easy now, but they will likely regret not taking advantage of their circumstances later in life when the situations change.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by Melon View Post
    Overall Industry: Oil & Gas

Job: Civil/Structural Designer.

I do 3D modeling of earthwork, concrete and steel structures for refineries and chemical plants for the Gulf South. It's an interesting job, lots of problem solving and developing creative solutions for clients.
    Same - mostly on the west coast though. I've done some really boring projects over the years, but also some extremely interesting ones. I spent 7 years and something like 9,000 hours working on a marine project in California. I'd do a project like that again in a heart beat.

Then there's the drudgery of T-posts and sleepers. Right now I'm working on a rail project, which is pretty cool - as I haven't had that opportunity before. But that's what keeps it interesting after all these years. Also we're a small company, so I get to do pretty much whatever I want.

Civil/Structural Designer is a weird niche. I think it only really exists in the energy industry.

Prior to that I literally worked as a janitor, graveyard shift, while going to school. That was 6 years of hell, but it had benefits - I still have the money from their 401k plan.

I've done other stuff - web design, machine shops, manufacturing, etc. Not sure if I'll do this forever - we'll see if I get bored. :p

Leave a comment:

• MR E30 325is
    replied
    Originally posted by Powling View Post
    That was incredibly helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to vomit that info.
    Definitely.

If you move forward on a similar path feel free to reach out to me via PM to discuss things more in-depth.

Leave a comment:

• Powling
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X