No announcement yet.

Gun Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're into .22's (esp. 10/22's), check-out "rimfirecentral.com".

Comment

Thanks, i'll look at that site. Any recommendations on ammo? I heard CCI Blazer is good, but I can't find it anywhere. There's some CCI ammo local though.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
      Originally posted by DTM190
      "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Eley makes good ammo...match quality stuff. Different brands of ammo behave differently in each gun. You'll probably have to try some different brands/grain if you're after the best accuracy. Fortunately .22 ammo is cheap, if you can find it. I order supplies/ammo from Natchez Shooters Supply or Midway.

Comment

while its doable I use my .22 Hornet for anything like that out past 50-60 yards

Originally posted by 416stroker View Post
          Why... Depends what you shoot? I pop squiles at about 90-120 yards with my marlin. So I have it sited at 100. All I shoot is CCI Segmented hollows and some agulia super max.
          there both pretty flat for 22lr
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

I bought some Eley match stuff for my Dad to try out in his target rifle. He didn't like them, they must be for indoor match because they drop so much at 100yds.

Comment

100 yards is a long ways for a light bullet with low velocity, wind, temp. effects, etc. However, it can be a good challenge. The 17HMR is popular among varmit shooters, 10/22's can be converted to fire this round (I'm not certain if you have to have a .22 Magnum to do this because of receiver differences).

Comment

Yes fairly sure you have to have a 22mag to make the 17 rechamber work

Originally posted by dlmpsy View Post
                100 yards is a long ways for a light bullet with low velocity, wind, temp. effects, etc. However, it can be a good challenge. The 17HMR is popular among varmit shooters, 10/22's can be converted to fire this round (I'm not certain if you have to have a .22 Magnum to do this because of receiver differences).
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

if you knew that the end of america as we know it was coming in the next year, you would need to hunt for yourself and protect your own familly and friends all with one refle what would it be?
                  i am asking because i want a rifle that could do this. i wa thinking a remington 700 model of some kind.
                  let me know what you think? it has to be chambered in a round that would be easy to find durring a crisis.
                  maybe something mid range and semi atomatic?
                  sigpic
                  "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                    if you knew that the end of america as we know it was coming in the next year, you would need to hunt for yourself and protect your own familly and friends all with one refle what would it be?
                    i am asking because i want a rifle that could do this. i wa thinking a remington 700 model of some kind.
                    let me know what you think? it has to be chambered in a round that would be easy to find durring a crisis.
                    maybe something mid range and semi atomatic?
                    Well the ak47 will work in almost all conditions unlike the AR. The AR requires more maintenance and fires a smaller more expensive rounds but it is more accurate.

For bolt action rifles I would get a R 700 and I think they make a version called the SF which is what they claim "the most accurate over-the-counter rifle". I would get this in a .308 or a .300win.

Have you thought about a side arm?

www.gutenparts.com
                    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
                      Well the ak47 will work in almost all conditions unlike the AR. The AR requires more maintenance and fires a smaller more expensive rounds but it is more accurate.

For bolt action rifles I would get a R 700 and I think they make a version called the SF which is what they claim "the most accurate over-the-counter rifle". I would get this in a .308 or a .300win.

Have you thought about a side arm?
                      i think i wopuld have a hard time finding a ak model in cali...
                      i think i will go R 700. i have been doing a lot of reading on them.
                      as fare as side arms go i have not thought about it much. still like the 1911's. what do you think? something that i can get dirty. maybe a revolver of some kind? fewer rounds and slower firing rate but it has less moving parts.
                      sigpic
                      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

as fare as side arms go i have not thought about it much. still like the 1911's. what do you think? something that i can get dirty. maybe a revolver of some kind? fewer rounds and slower firing rate but it has less moving parts.

Its easy to find a AK type in CA. Most gun stores stock Saigas. Norse armory in woodland stocks aks and will build your kit for you if you want.

Id have to take a Savage 100 in 308 and a ak74 in 223 and a CZ Sp01 in 9mm if SHTF.
                        84 318I Delphin RIP
                        87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
                        89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                          Yes fairly sure you have to have a 22mag to make the 17 rechamber work
                          Yes you are correct. you can switch to a 17HM2 out of a 10/22
                          84 318I Delphin RIP
                          87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
                          89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

Originally posted by 416stroker View Post
                            Its easy to find a AK type in CA. Most gun stores stock Saigas. Norse armory in woodland stocks aks and will build your kit for you if you want.

Id have to take a Savage 100 in 308 and a ak74 in 223 and a CZ Sp01 in 9mm if SHTF.
                            but only in semi auto right?
                            i just assumed cali being what it is ak's would be illegal.
                            thanks for the info i will have to go check those places out. i went to city arms the other day and the guys that work there are ass holes!
                            norse armory a bit of a drive. i bet there is something a bit more local.
                            Last edited by deutschman; 01-13-2010, 01:12 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

1911's are great guns and all but personally I like my Sig or glock alot better. Don't quote me on this but I don't think you can buy a .45 in Cali anymore and you can get a ak47 in Cali. Revolvers are great also. I really like the .44 mag.

www.gutenparts.com
                              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

A good all around, medium caliber rifle to have is a .308, I have a 700 LTR (similar to the Army precision rifle). The recent ammo/gun shortage suggests that people are buying AR's and personal defense type handguns. .223, .308, 9mm, .45 and .22 ammo is still spotty. For a semi-auto rifle, AK's & AR's (if available in your area). 7.62x39 & 5.45x39 (AK-74, surplus ammo is cheap), or an SKS (which may be legal in some states where other rifles are not). For a semi-auto pistol, something in a 9mm, or .45ACP (Glocks, Sigs, 1911's, HK's are all good). The price of magazines are also a consideration, in which case Glock & 1911's are probably the cheapest and most available. If semi's aren't available, a revolver in .357 (which will also shoot .38 Special is a good choice). .22's are good too, cheap (and light weight) ammo., capable of hunting small game (also a favorite of poachers), better than nothing for defense (a lot of people have been killed by the .22). The 10/22 is one of the best semi's around, as far as .22 pistols, Ruger makes good ones, Browning Buckmark, or conversion kits are available for Sigs, 1911's, and I believe Glocks as well. Various caliber conversion kits are available for AR's as well. A shotgun is good for defense and hunting, .12 gauge in an 870 or Mossberg are popular choices. A lot of stuff is out there (good & bad), shop around and look at the various forums on the internet, and try to shoot whatever model you're interested in before buying.

Comment

Working...
                                X