Gun Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by h0lmes View Post
    Those are pretty fucking rad. It seems to me that a revolver would be far more reliable than a handgun.
    A high-quality revolver (Colt, S&W, or Ruger) will be pretty much the most reliable, lowest maintenance, and easiest to use handgun you can find. You know that it's going to fire each time you pull the trigger (unless there's an ammo problem). And if it doesn't fire, all you do is pull the trigger again to "clear" the problem. No safeties or anything to get in the way.

Since you're not relying on recoil to cycle the action, a revolver will work with any ammo you put in it: from lightest target loads to the heaviest hunting loads. A full wadcutter, semi-wadcutter, or hollow-point will "feed" just as reliably as a round-nose. And a good revolver will generally have better accuracy than a similar semi-auto, unless you're comparing it to something like a custom 1911 bullseye pistol (big $$$).

Having said that, even a revolver can "jam" under certain circumstances. If it takes a big hit on the side of the cylinder, it might not rotate. Some gunk under the extractor can cause the whole mechanism to seize up. Basically, a revolver is much less likely to jam. But if it does jam, you might need a gunsmith to get it running again.

Originally posted by h0lmes View Post
    What are the drawbacks?
    • Capacity is low compared to a modern semi-auto.
    • Reloads not only take longer, but require two hands (even with speedloaders or full-moon clips).
    • Carrying a pair of speedloaders is bulkier than carrying a spare magazine.
    • Most revolvers are bigger and heavier than a comparable semi-auto, which makes them tricky to carry concealed.
    • Revolvers can be dirty to shoot as lots of gas and debris escapes from the gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone.
    • Revolvers are a PITA to clean. I find it's much quicker and easier to take apart and clean a semi-auto.

That's it' really. I'm a long-time revolver shooter. I prefer S&W 586/686 and have a couple of nice ones that I use for PPC, pin shooting, and target work.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
    2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In canada, thought you newfies frowned on pistols. Dont you have to have the mounties transport them to and from the range for you????
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
        In canada, thought you newfies frowned on pistols.
        (1) Montreal is in Quebec, not Newfoundland. So the "Newfie" thing doesn't really work. It's like like calling someone from Alabama a "Yankee" ;)

(2) I'm actually an American. Born and raised in NJ. I started shooting competitively back when I was a medical student: PPC, NRA Bullseye, and pin shooting. I loves me some guns! I've just spent a bunch of time in Montreal: 6 years so far. Returning there this summer.

Dont you have to have the mounties transport them to and from the range for you????
        It's definitely more challenging in Canada than a typical US state. But not any more difficult than a gesatapo-state like Boston, where I also used to live.
        sigpic

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ahhh I see, I know I like messing with canadians with the Newfie thing (I have to work with them every so often)

I see, yes MASS has some shitty gun laws one reason I will never ever move out east.
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

I see, yes MASS has some shitty gun laws one reason I will never ever move out east.
            Same for NYC and NJ (where I grew up). Come to think of it, I've never lived in a place where I could freely exercise my 2A rights. :hitler: It sucks.
            sigpic

Comment

love mine...

Comment

well finished modding my cheapo drop leg holster today Used a copper saddle makers rivet to pinch the holster together at a point below the trigger guard to keep the front site an muzzle from dropping so far out the bottom and dragging through the brush. And added a flash light pouch too, it can be used as another mag pouch too if I dont need the light.

I have less than 30 bucks in this set up, we will see how it holds up to hiking and what not. I have aways wanted to try a drop leg and if I like it I will get a better one whe this one takes a shit.

modded pic

William Pitt-

Comment

/\ I had a somthing like this but it had another strap that went to my belt. Also it held two magazines. Worked really well with my bretta 9mm.

www.gutenparts.com
                  One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

^^^^^^^^^

yeah the top buckle goes to strap on my belt

William Pitt-

Comment

/\O I see it now. Mine lasted really well. I have fallen on it and number of other things to it. It still looks brand new. The only problem if I wear it for along time it irrates my leg.

www.gutenparts.com
                      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Open Carry holsters are going to be the most comfortable style by far. Well a shoulder rig is pretty nice too and I just feel cool wearing one for some reason. I had a Galco rig for a Glock 22 that I used to have. It worked great when I was riding my motorcycle.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
                        ~ John Adams ~

Comment

well finished modding my cheapo drop leg holster today Used a copper saddle makers rivet to pinch the holster together at a point below the trigger guard to keep the front site an muzzle from dropping so far out the bottom and dragging through the brush. And added a flash light pouch too, it can be used as another mag pouch too if I dont need the light.

I have less than 30 bucks in this set up, we will see how it holds up to hiking and what not. I have aways wanted to try a drop leg and if I like it I will get a better one whe this one takes a shit.

modded pic

I have a Blackhawk and I love mine. I'll post pics of it soon with my Sig in it.

Comment

I'm thinking I need a:

- Browning Hi-Power aka P-35 (or clone)
                            - CZ-75 (or clone)
                            - An accurate rifle "Sniper Rifle" (.338 Lapua Magnum perhaps?? I dunno) Some thoughts:
                            * Remington 700
                            * AI-AWSM
                            * Sako TRG-42
                            - Any old pistols like from CZ, Browning, Colt, Makarov, Walther or something just fun and classic.
                            - Barret M468
                            - A tomahawk of some sort or Gerber knife or applegate or a daggertII or ummm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep 4:01am

Last edited by Nicademus; 03-09-2009, 04:04 AM.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
                            ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Browning HI-po shure why not just what you need a 9mm

CZ - ok sure but why not get a 1911 then.

sniper rifle- 338 Lapua, spendy, Get a custom build for less, 6.5x284win or norma, 6.5-06, acurized 338win mag anything like that. The 2 6.5mm I mentioned are f class 1000yd guns that some guys ahve used out 1400yd competitions. Build any of these 3 on a rem 700 BDL long action 700. Norm factory loads a a 6.5mmx284 the win or the 06 you will have to custom relaod. The 06 you can just take 270 brass an neck it up a little bit to fit the 6.5mm projectile. This is my new project once I get a few more funds together, a 6.5mmx06

rem 700- 308 or .338 win mag and get you long range and rem all in one.

the rest I dont have an opinion on, But a gerber LMF and a sog daggert are the 2 I am gonna get, so they are good choices.

William Pitt-

Comment

Do you want the Gerber LMF or LMF II? When I wrote gerber I had the LMF II in mind.

LMF II

LMF

~ John Adams ~

Comment

Working...
                                X