• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
    oh April 1st

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
      Well I think I love it due to changing the grip itself and the mag, feels completely different but I am definitely considering the recommendations, I feel as though I made a mistake buying the 3.5" 1911 instead of the Glock he was showing me
      If you can go back for store credit unfired I would, if it means a huge loss and you like it, throw some rounds down it. I personally do not carry without 500rds trouble free (not just ball ammo), which is honestly not that much. But if you shoot it well and it's reliable enough for you, do your thing. Comparing those service pistols i listed to a subcompact RIA 1911 is like comparing a new car to a high mileage E30. You can hop in either and trust for a long road trip, but statistically something is more likely to go wrong in the later. It's not saying either are perfect, I would just want to vet it before relying on it.

I just didn't like that it feels so light
      The desire for weight goes away so fast with conceal carry time.

Comment

If you stick with the 1911, you will learn to appreciate the design, and the work that goes into it. I built a 1911 up from a Caspian frame and it was eyeopening for sure, one file stroke too much and pfft... Ended up making it into a .22lr setup:

I just mailed this guy back to my smith for a new barrel as I was not happy with accuracy (doesn't help that my Bar-sto in my other setup keeps my expectations so high) and all-in-all, I am going to spend about as much as a Glock for a barrel, which again reminds me how f***ing irrataional it is that I support the platform

It is for sure an enthusiasts gun, you will get more time and money/rounds down range with a modern 9mm

Comment

I'm lost for words, that is amazing!. Did I buy basically a Wallymarket value brand 1911?

Comment

I'm lost for words, that is amazing!. Did I buy basically a Wallymarket value brand 1911?
            Your analogy isn't bad

I do think that the level of fitting and tolerances with the platform are best addressed by atleast $1k, and no, Kimber is not the answer. I know it sounds snobbish, and not everyone needs a pistol that can feed hollowpoints or shoot thumb sized groups, but when the 1911 was made it was when skilled labor was cheap. I think last estimates I saw for how much it would cost to make one the way they were made by Colt in the early 1900s would be well over $2k.

Personally the only non-American 1911s I have found to trust would be Springfield.

Comment

If you're not going to carry it (which I'm assuming is the case as you're in CA) and it's essentially just a range toy, you do you. There isn't anything inherently wrong with what you got. RIA isn't known for their impeccable fit and finish, but the one I shot worked just fine. It's definitely a budget oriented 1911 though. I certainly wouldn't trust my life to it without going through several hundred trouble free rounds.

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
              Kimber is not the answer.
              Truer words never spoken.

Comment

Every once in a while I get the urge to buy a Colt Commander in in .45 ACP but I really only *need* one handgun and have no complaints with my Gen 3 Glock 17, which has performed flawlessly since I got it.

Next firearms will probably be a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .270 and a S&W AR.

Tomorrow I'll be in the woods with a Remington 870 gobble gobble..

Comment

Originally posted by coldweatherblue View Post
                  Every once in a while I get the urge to buy a Colt Commander in in .45 ACP but I really only *need* one handgun and have no complaints with my Gen 3 Glock 17, which has performed flawlessly since I got it.

Next firearms will probably be a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .270 and a S&W AR.

Tomorrow I'll be in the woods with a Remington 870 gobble gobble..
                  what shells do you use and which choke do ya run for gobblers?
                  1990 325is
                  m52b28
                  3.73lsd
                  g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Well I think I love it due to changing the grip itself and the mag, feels completely different but I am definitely considering the recommendations, I feel as though I made a mistake buying the 3.5" 1911 instead of the Glock he was showing me, I just didn't like that it feels so light
                    For what your likely going to get for trade in your problem better off just keeping it, especially if you enjoy it. Just an officer 1911 is a heck of a gun to cut your teeth on.

Whenever I buy a new gun. I identify a need or purpose before even looking g at different models.... for example. If I decide I need a ccw weapon it drives my options. I know I want the following.
                    1 most importantly reliability.
                    2 concealabilty
                    3 capacity
                    4 accuracy
                    5 enjoyable to shoot so I practice with it.
                    6 price of gun, and to lesser extent ammo

If I'm looking for a home defense gun my list order and ranking of importance are going to be totally different.

Any firearm is going to be a series of trade offs. You need to determine your needs before asking for advice, and if you love the 1911 than stay with that platform, but even with the 1911 your selections will change depending on the guns purpose. For a home defense 1911 you may want a larger 5" barrel and a rail so you can add a light for example.

However. I would stay away from that shop/particular salesman. He could not have sold you a firearm more polar opposite of what you expressed interest in, and his recommendation is counter to what 99% of most experienced shooters would recommend to a first time buyer, and his reasoning behind the 1911 recommendation is even worse.

Also, never practice dry firing with ammo and your gun in the same room, and get some training now, before developing any bad habits. Happy shooting!!

Also, for what it's worth I also own a budget 1911 Remington R1 enhanced. It is by no means a precision hand built 1911. However, I bought it because every American ought to own a 1911, and it is only a fun range toy that I wasnt going to spend thousands on. Ive had it for about 4yrs and never had any issues with it, but it is what it is. I would put it in the same league as a RIA. Nothing wrong with a low end 1911 as long as it runs well, just understand what its limitations are and use it accordingly.
                    Last edited by naplesE30; 04-01-2019, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Gun "stuff"

Carbine suppressed.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That suppressed carbine is badass ^

I haven’t been around here for awhile, so I’m just now catching up on the thread. I am part of the 1911 crew, I’ve shot countless Glocks and I couldn’t even hit myself with it if I tried. That said, firearms in general are 95% preferences, and 5% quality.

On the topic of home defense, nothing like the sound of cocking a pump action to make the perp think twice about what is about to go down. Now obviously the trade off of that is mobility, but done correctly, you can develop a “sweep and clear” style defense plan to make sure you are dealing with as few tight angles as possible, where mobility would be an issue. Also don’t have to deal with wall penetration like you would with jacketed bullets.

Funny (but slightly scary) story. Growing up, my mom kept her Beretta 92T with her whenever my dad was out of town. My bedroom was on the opposite side of the house from theirs (directly across the house from the front door). Thought nothing of it, until my dad found out she had FMJs loaded. He had to explain to her that if she shot an intruder with FMJs, the bullet would go through him, through the wall behind him, through the fridge behind that, through me, and likely into the neighbors house. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Originally posted by flyboyx
                        how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
                        Originally posted by Northern
                        beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
                        Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
                        Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
                        '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
                        Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
                          That suppressed carbine is badass ^

I haven’t been around here for awhile, so I’m just now catching up on the thread. I am part of the 1911 crew, I’ve shot countless Glocks and I couldn’t even hit myself with it if I tried. That said, firearms in general are 95% preferences, and 5% quality.

On the topic of home defense, nothing like the sound of cocking a pump action to make the perp think twice about what is about to go down. Now obviously the trade off of that is mobility, but done correctly, you can develop a “sweep and clear” style defense plan to make sure you are dealing with as few tight angles as possible, where mobility would be an issue. Also don’t have to deal with wall penetration like you would with jacketed bullets.

Funny (but slightly scary) story. Growing up, my mom kept her Beretta 92T with her whenever my dad was out of town. My bedroom was on the opposite side of the house from theirs (directly across the house from the front door). Thought nothing of it, until my dad found out she had FMJs loaded. He had to explain to her that if she shot an intruder with FMJs, the bullet would go through him, through the wall behind him, through the fridge behind that, through me, and likely into the neighbors house. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Welcome back man! haven't seen ya on here in a hot moment.

Oh, and the shotgun thing. It would be better to have it already loaded than to let the intruder(s) know your position.
                          1990 325is
                          m52b28
                          3.73lsd
                          g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
                            This advice routinely makes me mutter my way to the door at gun stores-

I say that in jest, but it does irritate the shit out of me when some matter-of-fact gun store employee starts spewing advice to someone that is clearly new and less informed without explaining how many factors there are to consider.

While a shotgun is a super effective defense weapon, over penetration inside a house is just as big if not greater concern than other pistol and rifle rounds. All you have to do is look at buckshot and slug tests on drywall. They will effectively punch through more layers than you're likely to encounter inside your house, and still carry enough energy to be a problem on the other side. I used to have a home defense shotgun before we had a little freeloader in the room next door. Over penetration became a real concern for me and I didn't feel comfortable with the idea of a stray pellet getting away. Obviously shot placement is key, but having 9 chances for a miss per trigger pull made it a less than ideal option for me. Preference as mentioned is huge. Ammo choice is huge. Home layout and neighbor proximity is huge.

I'll get off my soap box now. I don't want it to seem like I'm saying what you're doing is wrong, or suggest you haven't already considered all of this. My concern is when people throw out advice, it can get picked up by a less informed individual who may take it as gospel without knowing better.

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                            Oh, and the shotgun thing. It would be better to have it already loaded than to let the intruder(s) know your position.
                            Again it comes down to personal preference, but agreed. I'm not advertising where I am to an intruder. I'm also not going to skyblast my SxS out the window like creepy uncle Joe suggests.

Comment

^ +1

I am not advertising my location if I know them to already be in the house. I do not take advise from Joe Biden.

Comment

I follow the mentality that if someone is inside my house when I a or any member of my family is home they have crossed the line from burglar to killer breaking in with the purpose to do bodily harm. Burglars break in when they know the home is empty, someone who enters an occupied house is a totally different type of criminal. As such they are not afraid, and likely armed the same as I. I would respond and act as though they are trying to kill. The last thing I want is to prepare them by giving away my location and weapon of choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X