Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gun Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How big are your toads and what is the velocity of those pellets? Some of the Bufo toads around here are big suckers too. A pellet rifle would probably be better for iguanas but it's just like hunting anything else, shot placement is key.
    @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
    [b u i l d]
    [Car of the month: April 2018]

    0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

    Comment


      Most of them are about the size of a softball or smaller. The velocity of my pellet gun is 450fps. I wanted a handgun because I live in a development close to other homes. Much easier to walk around the house with handgun than rifle as far as causing a stir. Also the buffo toads let you basically put the muzzle almost up against them for shot placement. Like you said I would think a rifle would be a must for iguana plinking, both for accuracy and velocity.
      Last edited by naplesE30; 08-10-2019, 08:51 AM.

      Comment


        Yeah 450fps might not be enough unless you can consistently place shots very accurately, hard to do with a pellet pistol. I definitely can see where you're coming from with the pistol, I would like to take out some of the Bufos around here but my house is also in a development. The Iguanas are bad at my Mom's house and I've thought about picking up a cheap pellet rifle to take them out from the porch.
        Last edited by varg; 08-10-2019, 03:57 PM.
        @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
        [b u i l d]
        [Car of the month: April 2018]

        0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

        Comment


          Originally posted by varg View Post
          Yeah 450fps might not be enough unless you can consistently place shots very accurately, hard to do with a pellet pistol. I definitely can see where you're coming from with the pistol, I would like to take out some of the Bufos around here but my house is also in a development. The Iguanas are bad at my Mom's house and I've thought about picking up a cheap pellet rifle to take them out from the porch.
          450fps is honestly marginal for cane toads.Placement is a must for a humane kill, and I need to use the pointed pellets. I think for iguanas your gonna want to be 1100fps minimum, definitely would need to be supersonic. For an idea of power, my pistol is not strong enough to puncture the thicker plastic of a Gatorade bottle.

          Comment


            I just learned that your cane toad and my bufo toad are the same thing
            @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
            [b u i l d]
            [Car of the month: April 2018]

            0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

            Comment


              I just ordered up one of the surplus Beretta 81s that hit US shores in the last month. I take a lot of new shooters to the range and I guess these are one of the least intimidating things to shoot short of a.22lr. Based on how surplus guns go I know I'm going to regret not buying more of these to flip in a few years. I guess we'll see how this one looks when it gets here.
              Last edited by myinfernalbmw; 08-27-2019, 05:58 AM.

              Comment


                Originally posted by myinfernalbmw View Post
                I just ordered up one of the surplus Beretta 81s that hit US shores in the last month. I take a lot of new shooters to the range and I guess these are one of the least intimidating things to shoot short of a.22lr. Based on how surplus guns go I know I'm going to regret not buying more of these to flip in a few years. I guess we'll see how this one looks when it gets here.
                Post pictures of it when it comes in. Who did you go through, Classic?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post

                  Post pictures of it when it comes in. Who did you go through, Classic?
                  Will do.

                  Initially I did but a couple of hours after I placed the order I saw two guys post up rusted out pieces of shit they got from Classic. I cancelled my order and put in an order at DK instead which ended up being the same price for a hand selected gun. It was probably a waste of $20 for the hand select, but it was the same price out the door and it sounds like DK is shipping faster and vastly better examples.

                  Comment


                    Picked up my 81 at my FFL today. I'm very happy with it. The slide has a few small dings and one freckle of rust that cleaned up with some oil, but the finish is otherwise perfect. The frame has some edge wear around the trigger guard as well, but I should be able to touch it up easily. The internals look brand new and I'd be surprised if it had more than 100 rounds through it in it's life as a prison guard.

                    If AIM surplus finds more "select' grade guns I'll probably pick up a second. Should be able to get out and shoot it Monday so I'll update on how it runs.

                    Comment


                      Need some recommendations for a accurate, subsonic, .22 HP.

                      The cci standard round nose I'm using isn't very consistent, and unless it is a head shot, it doesn't do the job well on squirrels.
                      No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                        Need some recommendations for a accurate, subsonic, .22 HP.

                        The cci standard round nose I'm using isn't very consistent, and unless it is a head shot, it doesn't do the job well on squirrels.
                        what are you shooting it out of? I assume you're shooting it out of a suppressor? If you are shooting it out of a pistol standard velocity should be fine.

                        I thought CCI was pretty good. I mean out of the ammo I use it seems to be the best.

                        I would then start buying different brands and seeing what your gun likes the most then.
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd
                        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

                        Comment


                          Growing up I NEVER had issues with 22LR for squirrel hunting, I used an at the time old Rem 581 bolt action 22 for the job, a 22LR in a good long barrel thats not been worn out should be fairly accurate inside 85 yards. Your not going to put every shot through the same hole with a 125 dollar 10/22 at 50+ years IME but I do agree that try some other ammos and see what your gun likes, in general CCI used to be the go to for rimfire, but I have had diminishing results with them for a long while now, so I have been using what ever was on sale when plinking with a 22lr and mine seems to shoot federals as well the CCI's anymore.

                          You guys with the reptile/amphibian issues in FL, look into a good .22cal Pellet rifle, you can get them shooting about 800fps with a 15-20gr pellet, if that wont dispatch a toad (unless its the size of a Trash panda) your going to have to look into powder driven projectiles. I would think those speeds and energies would also work pretty well an smaller to medium sized iguanas as well, and larger ones with head shots, a lot of guys use air rifles for pest control all over the pace and especially in places where traditional powder driven projectiles are all but banned (IE europe) hell I know a couple of guys around where I live that prefer the 22 pellet rifle around where I live to keep the ground squirrels in check, because its quitter (get more the one shot sometimes), and wont carry to the neighbors house as easy, and when you have urban California types moved in next door, the cops are called when gun fire happens.
                          Originally posted by Fusion
                          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville


                          The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

                          Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                          William Pitt-

                          Comment


                            I have had good success with federal automatch with my 10/22. It has been reliable and fairly accurate. However, it is not subsonic nor a hp..... but would certainly put down a squirrel humanely.

                            My little M17 pellet pistol is racking up the toads. I am up to ten now. I saw a big mamma jamma last night when walking the dog. Ran in to get the pg to take care of him.....and when I came back he was like a fart in the wind...gone. He will get his medicine tonight if I see him.

                            Comment


                              I'm using a ruger american .22 bolt action with my form 1 .30 can on it.

                              It's wierd, because if I shoot free hand, they usually drop. But I've taken a few shots when bracing against something and end up missing or wounding.

                              I'm sure the bolt action is more accurate than I am. So just looking to tighten up the groups a bit and go with something that will do some damage even if I don't hit vitals.

                              This post was prompted because the other day I snagged a squirrel that had evidence of not 1, but 2 pass throughs that had healed. I'm not looking to wound or cause unnecessary pain. So I want to find the most consistent, expanding ammo I can while staying subsonic.

                              I can be loud where I'm at, and often shoot Clay's with the shotgun. But, I prefer to stay quiet when I can.
                              No E30 Club
                              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                                This post was prompted because the other day I snagged a squirrel that had evidence of not 1, but 2 pass throughs that had healed. I'm not looking to wound or cause unnecessary pain. So I want to find the most consistent, expanding ammo I can while staying subsonic.
                                Impressive, sounds like air rifle injuries, normally a .22 hit on a fleshy bit will not be survivable for a small rodent. Also, an admirable goal to find a good mix of quiet and reliably deadly with other than a solid hit.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X