scholarships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scholarships

Lets not let the spirit of freeloading die here on r3v.

For those in college or if you have been in the last few years, which scholarships have you been successful with? the internet searches are bogus and full of spam.

Being a white, male that is not over weight, and above poverty level there are no special concessions made by uncle Sam.

My parents are no option, either. Besides I have three little brothers, so I cannot tie up the laking resources my parents have.

Originally posted by kylebes1 View Post
    Lets not let the spirit of freeloading die here on r3v.

For those in college or if you have been in the last few years, which scholarships have you been successful with? the internet searches are bogus and full of spam.

Being a white, male that is not over weight, and above poverty level there are no special concessions made by uncle Sam.

My parents are no option, either. Besides I have three little brothers, so I cannot tie up the laking resources my parents have.
    Good luck. I've had to pay cash for my school every semester.
    "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by psloan View Post
      Good luck. I've had to pay cash for my school every semester.
      That is what I am looking at.

Comment

Financial aid bro, it should work in your favor especially if your parents still declare you on your taxes, if not you are screwed. Its helping me a lot, I am still declared, my cost is approx 41k/ yr (room and board included) and I am paying 9k/yr with 3k in loans/ yr so that is 29k I don't pay and about 80% of it is financial aid, but if you have not filled one out, makes sure you transfer and large $1000 + sums of money out of your name (I put it in my younger brothers name.) Making yourself look poor is a good thing ;), this is one way of getting our tax money back. Let me know if you need anything clarified or have more questions, as I am not always clear in getting my message through. Hope this helps.

EDIT: common misconception that you have to be below the poverty line to get financial aid, its worth a try for everyone to fill out, every $ counts.
        Last edited by doucy2; 08-14-2007, 07:38 AM.

Comment

I applied for everything I could find and got turned down for every one of them. I got no financial aid. Man, that pisses me the fuck off just thinking about it. These piece of shit parents that buy their kids everything under the sun (so that they grow up to be like magicmischeifmathewmayhem), and pay for the college education, too, get these fucking handouts because they only make $30k a year, but yet they live off debt with all these nice things like new overpriced cars and shit. I pay out of my pocket, without using my parents debt, and don't get a dime. Fuckin bullshit.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by doucy2 View Post
            Making yourself look poor is a good thing ;), this is one way of getting our tax money back. Let me know if you need anything clarified or have more questions, as I am not always clear in getting my message through. Hope this helps.

EDIT: common misconception that you have to be below the poverty line to get financial aid, its worth a try for everyone to fill out, every $ counts.

No problem looking poor, and yes your are convoluted to say the least! :p

The people in my finacial aid office are retards. Usually upper classmen that need to make $7 an hour.

What specific questions would you ask? or type of aid...

Comment

this is what you need to do, its probably too late to be eligible for 1st semester or fall quarter, but still good to fill out. but here is the official site http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

do you declare you're own taxes or are you declared on your parents?

Jgood, i agree totally, but you have to think that is what keeps the american economy going, spending money you dont have. then there are people like us working our asses off to pay for an education so we can get somewhere in life and not lead a life of back debt. Forget the rich kids, exploitation of their parents money is the way to go.

Comment

I've had no luck with scholarships. I'm not poor enough to get most of them, but don't make enough to pay for school . I'm pretty much stuck with loans :hitler:.

:(^SOLD^:(

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1 View Post
                  You are looking in the wrong place. You need to go to the public library. That's where the REAL scholarship information is. It is a little known fact that 70% of the scholarships listed are not awarded simply because nobody applies for them. If you go online or to your local high school guidance office, you will get turned down simply because you are competing against hundreds (sometimes thousands) of other people. There are even grants that can be found in the public library. I recently applied for a grant to take a welding course at the local community college and got my acceptance letter last week.

Comment

1. My mom claims me still, as until you are 25 the FED considers you a dependant on your family.

I am waiting on Tax info from my mother, which is like pulling a tooth via my colon. I think I have that one figured out this year, I should be able to get it for the Spring.

2. To the library I will go. Where exactly did you find info Jscotty?

Comment

The reference section is where you will find most pertenant and valueable information. Ask the librarian (the woman that sits behind the information desk) to point you in the right direction. The actual publications vary from one library system to the next but you will get your hands on more info than you can handle.

Comment

Ok, I will probably go back to the library to do more research, but I am not black, nor native american enough to qualify for much. The book I found is 18x14x6 and had more listings than autotrader.

not an easy task

Comment

I guess that is one thing florida has going for it is the Bright Futures scholarship. All you need is a good SAT score an average GPA and if you want 100% do some volunteer work. I did nothing and ended up getting 75%. The other 25% is payed for with a Stafford Loan.

I wish though that I would have applied for more scholarships and grants.
                          Keep on Keepin' on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ender. View Post
                            I guess that is one thing florida has going for it is the Bright Futures scholarship. All you need is a good SAT score an average GPA and if you want 100% do some volunteer work. I did nothing and ended up getting 75%. The other 25% is payed for with a Stafford Loan.

I wish though that I would have applied for more scholarships and grants.
                            Georgia has HOPE. I became a statistic and lost it by one point on my freshman GPA.

Anyone want to loan me $500?

Comment

How about instead of Google or r3vlimited you hit up your Office of Student Financial Aid at your school?

I did and they got me gobs of money, even a bit extra each semester. Fill out every one you even remotely qualify for. A friend (a guy) got a Women in Engineering Scholarship because there were not enough women who applied to spend it all. Spend a whole week doing essays and shit. Hell, even if you only get $1000 that is still better $/hr than a shitty college job. Apply for the small ones too, $80 is a book. People often look those over.
                              Im now E30less.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X