The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scabzzzz View Post
    Sell me your bike rack. Sick of breaking my bike apart to get it in my car.
    who?
    85 318is \\\M

up date mods:

roundel subscription
    mega time attack bottlecaps
    extra cut springs
    wiper blade delete
    racing slick tires
    nite-shadez headlights tail lightsmand windows

xtra mods:
    cut belt
    sanded spark plug
    air filler delete
    even more cut springs
    broken ac delete

more:
    more cut belt

bettered:

crome fender trim
    crome spray nozzle
    cut off exhost
    body color grillz
    ran bumbers n2 wall
    blue under body lites
    neon wheel wells an calipurs
    new:
    eyebrow
    black gills
    more head lites

Comment

Not you?

Patrick.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
        I know that yours is a relatively old post, but I just had to quote it and say that I completely agree. Saving a few pounds in total bike weight is really not significant at all for 99% or people who ride. Not only does it sacrifice durability, but the rigidity of CF frames is ridiculous. Makes things quite uncomfortable on long rides.
        The problem isn't with those types of bikes, it's with the users. There IS a niche market of serious cyclists who can use the benefits that these bikes provide practically, but so many road snobs have to have the latest and greatest that it often seems trivial. I won't even say that they shouldn't be buying them, I'll just agree that it is kind of funny. Without their support, the industry would go nowhere, and there would be no continually groundbreaking developments bike technology-wise.

So, don't bash the bikes, bash the non-bikers who buy those bikes.

Comment

Its the same thing with your E30 TwoJ's. You hook your car up. For what though? You dont race? Why buy parts to make your car go bigger and faster when really its not totally practical for everyday driving anyways?
          Answer: Because thats what you like and thats what you want to do. You enjoy it, whether it be looking at it or consuming its benefits.

Having a 3 pound bicycle is not practical on the street, but why the fuck not? Slamming my car to the ground. Why? Well, why the fuck not?

Comment

my new stallion.
            -ill be posting pics of my bimmer soon enough. its not ready yet. its an 89 325i with 87k o.g. miles
            steedhttp://fixedgeargallery.com/2008/apr/2/BenWard_2.htm
            www.benjamineliward.com

Comment

That bike looks good man. I have a problem with the 2 toned pink handle bar and grips situation. Just do black or white grips on the pink anodized.

Comment

Thats very nice, I havent had the internet in three weeks and this is my first time back on r3v. I've been out riding my fixed!
                1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
                1986 Diamondschwarz Grey Market 325i Sport Mtech 1- Parted out
                1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
                1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Comment

Nice setup you got there lowlight. I'm still waiting for my frame to get done at the powdercoater. I guess i can either have it back fast or cheap, but not both. :(

Comment

Originally posted by FJ40 View Post
                    The problem isn't with those types of bikes, it's with the users. There IS a niche market of serious cyclists who can use the benefits that these bikes provide practically, but so many road snobs have to have the latest and greatest that it often seems trivial. I won't even say that they shouldn't be buying them, I'll just agree that it is kind of funny. Without their support, the industry would go nowhere, and there would be no continually groundbreaking developments bike technology-wise.

So, don't bash the bikes, bash the non-bikers who buy those bikes.
                    You are right. That's why I said 99% of riders really don't need them, and would probably be better off without them (comfort). I agree that the technology is significant for people who actually use it, and I'm not trying to say they're pointless.

Originally posted by scabzzzz View Post
                    Its the same thing with your E30 TwoJ's. You hook your car up. For what though? You dont race? Why buy parts to make your car go bigger and faster when really its not totally practical for everyday driving anyways?
                    Answer: Because thats what you like and thats what you want to do. You enjoy it, whether it be looking at it or consuming its benefits.

Having a 3 pound bicycle is not practical on the street, but why the fuck not? Slamming my car to the ground. Why? Well, why the fuck not?
                    Bad argument. I "hook my car up" because it makes a noticeable difference in the way it performs. I put a new suspension on it because it now handles 100x better than it did before. It is a street car, so I put wheels on it that are aesthetically pleasing. I update the interior because it is also aesthetically pleasing. All of these things make the driving experience better by ten fold over a stock e30.

Now, in case you failed to realize it, I'm not talking about racers that actually need to save a couple pounds. I'm talking about the average poser rider that gets the CF frame strictly for looks and so he can say he's got one. The weight that rider is saving is superfluous, and he will likely see no difference in speed, but will be much more uncomfortable due to the rigidity of the CF.

Do you see the difference? My mods drastically improve driving performance and comfort, poser CF fucks are aiming for an ego boost.

Comment

come on guys, their bikes, lets not sweat the details. ;)

Here's a pic of my 62 racer, bought it ten years ago form it's original owner. in the seat bag theres a reciept from the lbs dated 1979 for a tuneup. ride it a couple times a week, class punk.

Also got the big bike together this week, got a day of trail riding in, now its raining some; might be awhile before we see dirt again.

Last edited by skota; 04-18-2008, 04:48 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SchnellerVert View Post
                        Nice Masi, betch that rides smooth as silk. SUP4's nice choice as well. 10 speed? What's the hub spacing?
                        great bike...comfort for 5 hr rides and corners pretty damn well.
                        the rear hub is a 10s hub, but the downtube shifters are from the 10s bar-end shifters for their triathlon application. ;)

best of all worlds: tubbies, downtube shifters, 10s, and 26.0 dia. h-bar. does it get any more euro-90's than that?!?!?

Comment

I think its actually you that missed the point because you're recycling your previous statements over and over. Take it back a few more reasons. "Aesthetically pleasing" rims are rims that look sweet which at one point were meant to be used in a race situation or purposed for something specific. Right? Well, a carbon fiber quill is the same scenerio. Looks cool, is light weight, but not necessary just to go ride your bike on the street. Its "aesthetically pleasing however" and is the reason why someone would put it on. I'm not really sure what you have on your car but I do know from what I've seen theres a few things I could compare specifically.

So back to the fundamentals of buying light weight parts that look fuh raze because they are. Say I wanted a carbon fiber fork, riser bar, and quill. Looks totally raced out and I probably dont need it to ride my bike. Because its all light weight and strong, I can now do easier track stands on my fixed and other tricks, like wheelies and bar ups and what not.
                          You can take that same mentality and apply it to a carbon fiber hood, lighter wheels, carbon fiber splitter, eyelids, whatever you want.

Also, what would it matter who buys what for what reason? I'm pretty sure out of all of the mods on your car that really arent necessary to get you to work (assuming your E30 is a DD). I know you dont take it to the track every day or even every week. Actually, I'll take a stab and say probably not even every 3 months. I know I dont. I've got 1500 bucks in my suspension and all it does for me is make the car look sweet on my 5 miles commute to work everyday.
                          So when you did your suspension, or put your new wheels on, how much did it do for your ego? Probably quite a bit. After all, it is for the street and everyone is going to see it. Actually, come to think of it, carbon fiber FUCKS ride their bikes on the street, where everyone will see, and for the hard core riders, for all the other bike riders to see that may be around. Actually, it may just be for the enjoyment of the consumer? Hmmmmm.... See my point? Its all the same scenerio that you speak of.

Keep in mind i'm in agreement with you on your argument, I'm just fighting for the other side of the wall. If you like bikes in general, having a carbon fiber frame and all components is definitely "Aesthetically pleasing" and in comparisoin to a regular steel lugged frame bike "handle 100x better" than the opposite and will ultimately "make the experience better by ten fold over a stock" Cannondale or Trek Colnago. If its available to masses for consumption, why not buy it?

;)

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                          Bad argument. I "hook my car up" because it makes a noticeable difference in the way it performs. I put a new suspension on it because it now handles 100x better than it did before. It is a street car, so I put wheels on it that are aesthetically pleasing. I update the interior because it is also aesthetically pleasing. All of these things make the driving experience better by ten fold over a stock e30.

Now, in case you failed to realize it, I'm not talking about racers that actually need to save a couple pounds. I'm talking about the average poser rider that gets the CF frame strictly for looks and so he can say he's got one. The weight that rider is saving is superfluous, and he will likely see no difference in speed, but will be much more uncomfortable due to the rigidity of the CF.

Do you see the difference? My mods drastically improve driving performance and comfort, poser CF fucks are aiming for an ego boost.
                          Last edited by scabzzzz; 04-22-2008, 07:16 AM.

Comment

bumping this thread. I'd like to start riding bicycles around town, but don't know where to start looking. Anyone can recommend a good bike to cruise around? I'm looking to spend around 400-500 for a good one. Do I look at mountain bikes or 'hybrid' bikes?

Comment

scabzzz, i got some new pics and updates i gotta show you! plus i'm buying another fixed, my brother and my friend pete are moving in in 2 weeks, theyre getting fixies, and my gf jackie is getting a single speed mercier! my apartment is gonna be nuts!
                              1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
                              1986 Diamondschwarz Grey Market 325i Sport Mtech 1- Parted out
                              1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
                              1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Comment

Bike threads bring me out of the dark.

This

Allows me to do:

Oh and Cold Accord I know who Jim C is, and sunday frames are sick.

Sold it.

Comment

Working...
                                X