No announcement yet.

The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well considering I live about a 4 hour drive away it was just gas ($120+), Lift Ticket ($160 for three days), and food (about $20 for the weekend since I ate thrifty). So about three hundred bucks total.
    -Erik
    '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
    I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

Oh fuck butt chug! That just cheered my day up. Breh, I cant fucking wait till I move to SD in September.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

How do you all recommend learning how to build a bike? I am going to build a road bike, something like a 10-12 speed, in the fall. I have never done this, just basic bike stuff like brakes. My main concern is picking the right frame so I have a good parts selection. It will be a cheap frame that I paint and buy new components for. Any good websites with tutorials?

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Bump!!! I was considering the same thing and if someone gives you a good site it will be the last push I need to actually start a bike project. I don't know where to start.
          -Joe

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
            How do you all recommend learning how to build a bike? I am going to build a road bike, something like a 10-12 speed, in the fall. I have never done this, just basic bike stuff like brakes. My main concern is picking the right frame so I have a good parts selection. It will be a cheap frame that I paint and buy new components for. Any good websites with tutorials?
            Probably cheaper to buy a bikesdirect bike and the frame you want. Their bikes are cheaper than what it would you just to buy a groupset. Unless you just want a beater but even then it is a lot faster and cheaper to find the entire set rather than piecing together parts.
            sigpic

Comment

Building up a bike is easier than a suspension swap. So if you can do a brake job and/or a suspension swap you got all the skills necessary for a bike build up.

Some things to consider...

Budget
              Overall theme of the build - road, TT, fixie or MTB HT or MTB FS
              Frame - Carbon, Ti, AL or classic steel
              Groupset and integration to your frameset - BB and headset considerations

I built up my 08 R3 over the course of about 6 months acquiring parts off CL and ebay and am in it for about 35 cents on the dollar of actual selling retail price. Time, effort and willingness to do some work can yield you a killer build.

IMO ... its way better to go this route than some lame .com purchase. Akin to buying a 325e off the dealer floor or building your own S50 5 lug with coilovers. The choice is all yours.

Comment

Here's the first shot of my DHX RC2 coil upgrade for my Enduro. I haven't ridden on the trail yet but I love how it feels so far!

-Erik
                '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
                I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

Just got this Fuji Touring Series III for free from my room mate. Its in pretty good shape and cruises pretty damn nicely. Been years since I've ridden seriously but all I want to do now is RIDE!
                  clutchCTRL!
                  Move with a purpose.
                  - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                  - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                  - 2000 323i AT
                  2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Did a quick 100 km with my friend this morning..Tour de Peninsula.
                    Great views, decent climbs, long straightaways.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Anyone else been riding a ton lately?
                      clutchCTRL!
                      Move with a purpose.
                      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                      - 2000 323i AT
                      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

It's been way too hot. I've done a few short mountain bike rides. I am moving to a house that is right by the huge network of local paved trails. Time to get back on the road bike!

Comment

Gotta love that. I live near some paved trails. I can ride right into Seattle!

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
                          clutchCTRL!
                          Move with a purpose.
                          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                          - 2000 323i AT
                          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by fryerfighter94 View Post
                            Frames crack yet?
                            are you implying Cervelos crack?
                            http://www.steinbachphoto.ca

Comment

I just found my new road bike for the spring. Cannondale CAAD10 4 in gulf colors! A tad above my budget, but the colors make it worth it to me. Time to start saving! I will update once I get it.

Comment

I'm looking to get in Road biking. Just thinking about picking up an entry level trek to make sure I like it before I blow my load on a bike.

I'm due a new mtb frame too.

Comment

Working...
                                X