No announcement yet.

The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Nic, I like riding, been off since beforex-mas but riding this saturday.

shhhhh, ok, ex gf since I moved to HI, It was a very dark period for us during our ongoing 20+ year marriage., I've learned a lot from it.

found the GT on the 101, pulled over left shoulder and scooped it up, mind you I had the Raven 4000sx on rack, lol, ppl were like wtf!

Cannondale got pissed and said "no mo' Ravens for ye" after 3rd replacemnt frame and sent me a Gemini, sold that right away., salvaged Race Face Next LP cranks etc parts for the GT., lol.

you guys know that about 90% of car commercials are shot on same spot, driving up PCH towards Point Mugu (ocean and pertruding rock to your left)., I used to ride from home at Point Dume to there and back, that's where I took this MCR2 shot...

... and pics of the Raven when I first bought it, rode Kamakazi at Mammoth Mnts with it, then tweeked it with a Hanebrink G7 reduced to 4" by Dan it self., he was not happy about it., lol. 2nd pic on Castro Peak (Santa Monica Mnts) and 3rd from Redbox to JPL ride on the San Gabriel Mnts., I sure miss SoCal, driving up to Big Bear 3 times a week, a few times with the top down and snowing, wife not happy but bundlesd up., lol. she's a trooper.

here's my other 2005 Five Spot, at Pupukea-Paumalu trails, I always make friends, even when I'm alone :)

Last edited by fporro; 03-06-2013, 09:53 PM.

Comment

For the road bike guys

I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

That would be a late 90s or early 2000s GT STS. Those came out right before Schwinn bought GT and promptly filed for chapter 11. From what I remember, those are pretty rare.

Will
        '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
        '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
        '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Figures I'm sick and have to study for tests when it's super nice out...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Comment

My 81 Trek 710.
              Setup as pictured, 8spd downtube shifting w/ an XT rd and Dura Ace cranks, currently setup as 10spd indexed barends, 10spd 11-34 IRD cassette, 10spd compatible XT rd and Sugino Mighty Tour cranks 48-34.
              My Bianchi Volpe on a day tour. Currently setup as 8spd friction barend shifters. Screw stis

My 58 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix

I can't find any pics of my mtbs. They currently consist of a Gary Fisher Tassajarra, 11 Stumpjumper HT 29er and I just put money down on a Stumpy FSR
              09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
              05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
              87 BMW 325is
              a few bicycles

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                That would be a late 90s or early 2000s GT STS. Those came out right before Schwinn bought GT and promptly filed for chapter 11. From what I remember, those are pretty rare.

Will
                Haha, wow. Old school. That rear derailleur dates the bike to 1998 or prior. I love the v-brake braces. They used to be like $50? each? Something crazy like that.

Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

hella retro

Put together from parts laying around. I just needed a more prominent place to display the Art Deco chainguard, than hanging in my garage.

1949 frame, Bendix 2 speed kickback, KMC BMX chain, Ashtabula race cranks, Mongoose mini bars, 1960's Huffy "Scout" seat, designed to look like a Tooled Leather Horsey saddle.
                  Attached Files
                  Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                  Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
                  Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by RobE30 View Post
                    My 81 Trek 710.
                    Setup as pictured, 8spd downtube shifting w/ an XT rd and Dura Ace cranks, currently setup as 10spd indexed barends, 10spd 11-34 IRD cassette, 10spd compatible XT rd and Sugino Mighty Tour cranks 48-34.
                    Was gonna say nice Trek 660 but you said it was a 710. 710 was what tube set? 660 were 531 Reynolds and then converted to Japanese Tange or Ishwata I think just before they went all big tubed Al and Composites.
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                      Haha, wow. Old school. That rear derailleur dates the bike to 1998 or prior. I love the v-brake braces. They used to be like $50? each? Something crazy like that.

Yeah the shifters and derailleurs are M739 vintage, so first gen V-brakes. Still arguably one of the most bombproof groups ever produced. I still run that stuff on two of my bikes. Its nearly indestructible. The downfall was the rear derailleur return spring was on the weak side so upshifting sometimes was a bit sloppy if there was too much tension on the chain. There was an aftermarket upgraded spring that could be retrofitted. The M950 XTR group of this same era is what I use on my main bike to this day. I couldn't tell you how many miles are on the parts but there are lots. It still works as well as it did the day it was new.

This frame is newer than the parts on it. Still, the parts on it were likely chosen because they were a lot cheaper than the XTR stuff of the same era but every bit as durable. If I were specing a DH bike, those are the parts I'd choose. 1000 times better and more robust than the 9 spd stuff that replaced it.

I decided to renew my USCF licence (Cat 3) yesterday for the first time since 2010. In doing so I noticed they also had my ex NORBA license info on hand. I'm listed as a Cat 2 for XC, last valid 2001. I think its been a few years since I raced dirt. I was fast back in the day, not so much anymore. Still, on the large group rides I've been doing lately I have yet to be beaten to the top of a hill, and on the way down, I still hold my own and am generally in the first 3 or 4 to the bottom. Not bad considering I'm riding a Voodoo D-jab from 1996. The group has stopped heckling me for riding an ancient hardtail, they still can't keep up. I don't need no stinking 10 spd, 29" wheels or full suspension.

Will
                      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

On Venice Beach

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

My baby's...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365010471.706147.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	7153318Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365010481.738815.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	7153319
                          And yes cycling was my main deal until I got my E30 ;)
                          The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

hhnnnnngggggg.jpg

Comment

chainslack.

Comment

A few weeks ago this bike was setup 1x9 with a Reba and 2.4/2.25 Racing Ralphs for a 50 mile xc race.

This week I decided to relax a bit and switch to rigid SS with a surly Knard 29x3.0 in the front and a 29x2.4 Maxxis Ardent in the back.

Trail was a mix of sand and technical rocks. I loved the semi-fat front! I ran ~15psi in the knard and 20psi in the ardent.

I think I'll leave the bike setup like this for now...

Comment

Working...
                                X