No announcement yet.

The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fast road bikes are underrated. I rolled around on my friends race built cervelo and the things an absolute machine
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by superj View Post
      I got a new (to me) bike yesterday.

I rode with a local group yesterday and one of the guys had ridden his recumbent with me before. Well, he said he wanted to sell it because he was having hip pain (he is 65) well on it but not on his rubauix.

So I told him I would swing by once I finished my ride and grab it. I ended up doing 60 miles so once I made it to his house, we swapped my 700 bucks for his p38 and went our ways.

The bike is a rocket. Its so fast. I have done a lot to my phantom in the 4 years I have been riding it to make it faster but its still a touring bike. The p38 is a racing bike and feels that way while riding it.

Hopefully I can gain some speed because one section of a local strava spot I have been trying to kom and so far, 4th has been my best at 36mph for the 1/4 mile it stretches. I hope to improve that on this bike
      You bought a recumbent? Good luck with that being faster than a normal road bike. There is really no way to sprint on one, and stability at speed is questionable. Climbing is even more of a chore.

Sure, HPVs are effectively a recumbent, but the are also fully faired, that is why they go so fast. They also have monster gearing because you can't sprint the thing.

Will
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

I guess you have never really tried to ride a recumbent for more than around the block? they take a few weeks of getting used to for your legs because its (oddly) different muscles. I thought it would be the same muscles but its not 100%.

I have been riding recumbent for 5 or 6 years now. I kill upright guys on sprints, standing start or rolling (except the locals who race at state level) and I do a few 100 mile rides a year so being stabile is not a problem. I have passed many people on big hills around Austin (but I have been passed also).

this p38 is new to me so I will have to feel it out but my phantom, the touring bike, lets me ride with the fastest group on my Tuesday night rides. two or three guys get me on top end because I am gear limited but my next rear cassette swap I would have went even more in hopes of fixing that top speed issue. I am learning that stuff as a I go.

the p-38 should already be good for top end though, and it seems to take off rolling pretty quickly for sprints. I don't what cassette is on the back but the front large ring is a 53 tooth. my phantom was only a 52 and my cassette doesn't go as small and starts larger.

I don't ride uprights too much more because my wrists hurt enough that its hard to work the next day. if I am doing less than 20 miles I have a giant defy4 to ride, which is a nice riding bike. I don't know how it ranks since its an entry level bike but it still rides very nicely.

I am just excited about the p38 since I have wanted one for so long but couldn't get myself to spend 3400 on a bike I wasn't sure I was going to like. this used one came in so cheap that if I end up not liking it, I can resell it for almost double easily.

Comment

I've never tried a recumbent, have no desire to, etc. but certainly cast no judgment on my fellow two-wheeled road users. Anything that gets people outside and excited about riding bikes is A-okay in my book, whatever the form the bike happens to take on.

E46t

Comment

I guess you have never really tried to ride a recumbent for more than around the block? they take a few weeks of getting used to for your legs because its (oddly) different muscles. I thought it would be the same muscles but its not 100%.

I have been riding recumbent for 5 or 6 years now. I kill upright guys on sprints, standing start or rolling (except the locals who race at state level) and I do a few 100 mile rides a year so being stabile is not a problem. I have passed many people on big hills around Austin (but I have been passed also).

this p38 is new to me so I will have to feel it out but my phantom, the touring bike, lets me ride with the fastest group on my Tuesday night rides. two or three guys get me on top end because I am gear limited but my next rear cassette swap I would have went even more in hopes of fixing that top speed issue. I am learning that stuff as a I go.

the p-38 should already be good for top end though, and it seems to take off rolling pretty quickly for sprints. I don't what cassette is on the back but the front large ring is a 53 tooth. my phantom was only a 52 and my cassette doesn't go as small and starts larger.

I don't ride uprights too much more because my wrists hurt enough that its hard to work the next day. if I am doing less than 20 miles I have a giant defy4 to ride, which is a nice riding bike. I don't know how it ranks since its an entry level bike but it still rides very nicely.

I am just excited about the p38 since I have wanted one for so long but couldn't get myself to spend 3400 on a bike I wasn't sure I was going to like. this used one came in so cheap that if I end up not liking it, I can resell it for almost double easily.
            Actually I have, I was working with a HPV team for a bit. They wanted me to ride it for them, but I couldn't since I was going to a different school.

Well, have fun.

Will
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

My DH season got cut short. Entered mt first race out in Crested Butte, CO, was practicing friday and took a spill. Ended up breaking my thumb in practice and having surgery on it right away. Super bummed. Race results came out today and I was on par to make podium in pro DH :( Oh well, I'll hopefully be back in 8 weeks.

91 318is M50 swapped
              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Nice m-tech wallet
                sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
                1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
                1991 318is - Sold
                1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                  Actually I have, I was working with a HPV team for a bit. They wanted me to ride it for them, but I couldn't since I was going to a different school.

Well, have fun.

Will

that's cool that you have. its weird that you had such trouble on it but recumbents are not for everyone.

Comment

and nick, that sucks that its broken and It took you out of competition

Comment

aw man! At least youll be healed up before summers over! Is there going to be much in the way of rehab required?
                      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by ButtJuice View Post
                        Nice m-tech wallet

and nick, that sucks that its broken and It took you out of competition

Me too, super bummed as it was my first actual race. Oh well

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                        aw man! At least youll be healed up before summers over! Is there going to be much in the way of rehab required?

Hoping its like 6-8 weeks most. I'll know more this week, hopefully some light PT.

Here's the run I fell on:
                        Got off line and took a spill practicing for the Rocky Mountain Race Series. Ended up breaking my thumb and to get two pins put in ending my race weekend be...
                        91 318is M50 swapped
                        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

It's been one week since i crashed. Im bored to death already, haha. I'll know more monday as I go back to see the surgeon and get a hard cast on. Hoping in another week or so once the swelling is down i can atleast get back to running and going to the gym. My E30 needs some love to so hopefully I can get to that also. For now, I'll just keep staring at my bikes.
                          91 318is M50 swapped
                          05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Cervelo

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                            fast road bikes are underrated. I rolled around on my friends race built cervelo and the things an absolute machine
                            Yeah Cervelo's are the shizzzy. They were kind on the map about 10 years ago when they change the the design of the down tube on road bikes to a squoval( oval and square)
                            and then everyone bike company started copying them. Due to slimmed down investors they have been more under the radar the last 5 years or so. That being said the bikes are awesome.

dlm ny country
                            Attached Files

Comment

You can run. Don't listen to the Dr. I ran with a fracture to my L2 and a wrist broken in 3 places. Don't let any king try to hold you down.

dlm ny country

Comment

That looks amazing! :)

Comment

Working...
                                X