• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wworm View Post
    ^ that things pretty sweet. What size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^^ That red one's cool!

Here's my ancient Gitane TdF.
      I just had it gone over as a going away present for my son, who's off to the big city for med school. The years and weather have taken their toll on this sweet old bike. Chips and rust spots.

We put on all new cables and housings, rebuilt the calipers (the brakes were so shitty), rotated the bars and levers up to level, adjusted the shifting, just general tune-up. New pads, tires, metal fenders, brake hoods, missing derailleur lift pin. Put fatty 28s on it for rain and commuting - just barely clear the fenders and brakes.

He put the Brooks saddle on it - present from his uncle. He's been riding it for almost 10 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gitane.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	7198210

My wife's brothers bought two of these new in 1973 - this one made it somehow. It's gone from MT to CO, was disassembled then made into a town bike, the frameset shipped to Seattle where I built it back into a road bike with some vintage Campy and bike swap junk, commuted for many years in the rain, went on some tours, back to MT, out to DC, back to WA, back to MT, and now it's heading back to WA. A lot of miles on that bike.

It's a Reynolds 531 frameset, original Stronglight crank and Huret(?) derailleurs, Campy brakes and seat post, junk levers, Look pedals, Campy hubs with Mavic rims, and a pointy Pivo stem.

Still useful and fun to ride! What's left of that orange oval sticker on the top tube says Eat, Shift, and Die!

Comment

^ +1

Beauty! I love the fully functional survivors.

Comment

What the hell was this guy thinking...or looking at?!

Comment

Anyone need a frameset? I've got three that need new homes.

Time VXRS Translink 58 CM Frame, fork HS, seatpost. $300
            Klein Aura X Frame 58 cm, fork, headset. $300
            Unlabeled raw aluminum 56 cm frame. Looks like it could be a Somec. Italian threaded BB. Frame, Reynolds Ouzo pro and Cane Creek HS. $200.

Why am I selling them? The Time is too flexible for me. Its a great frame, but I need more top tube diameter. The Klein, the bottom bracket is too low, I keep striking pedals/shoes hard. The random Aluminum frame, because its a little too small and I just can't make it work.

Will
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

so tempting ^

might be worth it to post them on sffixed even though the forums pretty dead
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I entered fatbike land today. I needed something to ride in the snow, didn't want to pay a Trek/Specialized premium, but still wanted reliability. After much research, I pulled the trigger on a Motobecane Night Train (Link).

It was $1400 after a discount and is packed with high quality components. The frame is made at the same factory in Taiwan as most other big bike companies. The thing was 10x nicer than I thought it'd be.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

the first bike I ever built a frame for was a fat bike. Super hilarious to ride. Cant help but smile at how stupid and fun the big tires are. If I lived where it snowed I'd totally have a fat bike in my quiver haha (my mtb is a 27.5+ hardtail so I'm basically there)
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

the first bike I ever built a frame for was a fat bike. Super hilarious to ride. Cant help but smile at how stupid and fun the big tires are. If I lived where it snowed I'd totally have a fat bike in my quiver haha (my mtb is a 27.5+ hardtail so I'm basically there)
                    I can't wait to be able to ride in the snow with this thing. It's crazy how much the wheels/tires weigh.

The setup that comes on the NT Express:

Tubes: 1200g
                    Tires: 3300g
                    Rims: 1660g
                    Front hub: 219g
                    Rear hub: 421g
                    64 spokes/nipples: 382g

7182g (15.8lbs)

Just going to a lighter tire and running tubeless would save almost 5lbs (2120g).

Doing a DT Swiss BR2250 wheelset (2228g/set), converting to tubeless, and switching to "Jumbo Jims" (2380g/pr) would bring all of that down to 4608g (~10.1lbs).

27.5+ is an awesome setup. Although I've never ridden a plus bike, I've heard great things. My main bike (Epic, XC geometry 29er) isn't very forgiving and thus I have been itching to make the switch to something a little more relaxed with more travel. The 27.5+ stuff always comes up in my research.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                      Doing a DT Swiss BR2250 wheelset (2228g/set), converting to tubeless, and switching to "Jumbo Jims" (2380g/pr) would bring all of that down to 4608g (~10.1lbs).

27.5+ is an awesome setup. Although I've never ridden a plus bike, I've heard great things. My main bike (Epic, XC geometry 29er) isn't very forgiving and thus I have been itching to make the switch to something a little more relaxed with more travel. The 27.5+ stuff always comes up in my research.
                      damn! I just switched to a 2.8" tire from a 3.0" and went tubeless and it was great. Felt so much less sluggish on climbs. a 5lb drop on that bike is going to be nuts

I can't tell you how many times I've been chatting with guys on the trails and they've told me they wished they had a hardtail. Its better for climbing, which we have a lot of here, makes technical stuff, which we have a lot of here, way more fun. I'd say getting a clipless setup is necessary for a hardtail though. I rode with flats once and got bounced off the pedals way too many times when bombing down through some rougher stuff.
                      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I can't wait to be able to ride in the snow with this thing. It's crazy how much the wheels/tires weigh.

The setup that comes on the NT Express:

Tubes: 1200g
                        Tires: 3300g
                        Rims: 1660g
                        Front hub: 219g
                        Rear hub: 421g
                        64 spokes/nipples: 382g

7182g (15.8lbs)

Just going to a lighter tire and running tubeless would save almost 5lbs (2120g).

Holy hell man, that is almost as heavy as one of my entire bikes! Screw that. My race bike is 19.5lbs with full knobbies and late '90s tech. Seriously, that doesn't sound fun to ride at all. Its like having concrete filling your tires, and pulling an anchor behind you.

Will
                        '88 BMW M3

Comment

damn! I just switched to a 2.8" tire from a 3.0" and went tubeless and it was great. Felt so much less sluggish on climbs. a 5lb drop on that bike is going to be nuts

I can't tell you how many times I've been chatting with guys on the trails and they've told me they wished they had a hardtail. Its better for climbing, which we have a lot of here, makes technical stuff, which we have a lot of here, way more fun. I'd say getting a clipless setup is necessary for a hardtail though. I rode with flats once and got bounced off the pedals way too many times when bombing down through some rougher stuff.
                          That's a great upgrade- with going tubeless plus a bigger tire you probably still lost rotational mass and gained traction.

It's funny, I'm always function>comfort, so I love hardtails. After getting beaten up in PA for so long I wanted a small bit of rear sus to help with some of the rocky trail systems we have in SE PA- my compromise was my Epic which has pretty fast geo and only a small amount of rear travel. However, I still have a Crave hardtail (used to be rigid single speed) which is a pretty fast/nimble bike- that'd be the perfect candidate for a plus wheelset.

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                          Holy hell man, that is almost as heavy as one of my entire bikes! Screw that. My race bike is 19.5lbs with full knobbies and late '90s tech. Seriously, that doesn't sound fun to ride at all. Its like having concrete filling your tires, and pulling an anchor behind you.

Will
                          Will- it is exactly as you pointed out! I have a full sus Epic that weighs but 22lbs and a Crave hardtail that is even lighter. The sole purpose of the fatty is to ride year round in the Midwest where the trails are almost unrideable from November to March, so I am trying to compromise a bit with the weight and just have a bike to keep me on the trails in Winter months. I plan on weighing the frame here soon to see what I'm working with there- the frame is alloy and the fork is carbon. Almost all the weight on this thing comes from the wheels/tires.

My guess is that I'll start building a carbon wheelset after the new year once I get some miles on the current setup.

Comment

That's a great upgrade- with going tubeless plus a bigger tire you probably still lost rotational mass and gained traction.

It's funny, I'm always function>comfort, so I love hardtails. After getting beaten up in PA for so long I wanted a small bit of rear sus to help with some of the rocky trail systems we have in SE PA- my compromise was my Epic which has pretty fast geo and only a small amount of rear travel. However, I still have a Crave hardtail (used to be rigid single speed) which is a pretty fast/nimble bike- that'd be the perfect candidate for a plus wheelset.

Will- it is exactly as you pointed out! I have a full sus Epic that weighs but 22lbs and a Crave hardtail that is even lighter. The sole purpose of the fatty is to ride year round in the Midwest where the trails are almost unrideable from November to March, so I am trying to compromise a bit with the weight and just have a bike to keep me on the trails in Winter months. I plan on weighing the frame here soon to see what I'm working with there- the frame is alloy and the fork is carbon. Almost all the weight on this thing comes from the wheels/tires.

My guess is that I'll start building a carbon wheelset after the new year once I get some miles on the current setup.
                            Dude, I grew up in the snow. -15 outside and snow on the ground from October through April or May. Often over the front axle for most of the winter. On went the studded snow tires (that I made using machine screws run from the inside of a worn tire through the outside, then lined with some duct tape. I'd go ride in the snow all the time, on a fully rigid mtb with 18 speeds and 26 inch wheels. Yep, it was hard, and I got stronger and learned how to ride in snow really well. Heck, I raced a few XC races in the snow, and did really well on courses that really didn't suit me in the least. You don't need a 10 ton fatbike to ride in the snow. Sure, there were bikes specially built for the iditabike race, but they weren't the monsters that are available now.

I dont know if there are any really good snow tires out there these days (You might check Nokian they made some studded snow tires back in the day) but I found the old Onza Racing Porc IIs to be great front snow tires, and the Specialized Storm Control in a 1.8 to be a great rear snow tire. (The combo worked really well in mud as well.)

I think it was Dan Hanebrink who built the fist Fatbike back in the early 90s. I think it was under 35lbs. https://dirtragmag.com/spotlight-han...pe-circa-1993/ It worked really well on dry sand, not so hot elsewhere.

Will
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Hey guys, give this a watch! Friend of mine shot this mtb video over the summer. We spent two days riding Trestle at Winter Park. Bonus e30 content in there too:D

This is "Nick Smith - 2018" by Fern Rodriguez on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
                              91 318is M50 swapped
                              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

^^ shred! Good shit man, looked like too much fun

in other news, I overshot a jump this weekend and launched myself off the trail lol. No injuries other than sore abs from laughing my ass off
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X