No announcement yet.

My school is r3v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there are a lot of benefits to going to a 4 year school. Yeah for the most part, a lot of liberal arts stuff is bullshit, but if you do actually find something that interests you while at that school, then awesome. I know i never would have gotten into neuroscience if i hadnt gone to college. Im just saying, college isnt meant for everyone. Tech school isnt meant for everyone. Dont trash people that are in college and are passionate about it and quit being a fucktard about dude man going to a tech school...good on ya for at least learning more about what you are into.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsterd View Post
      Cliffnotes:

You couldn't hack it at a university, went to a tech school, found a career field you enjoy and excel in. Congratulations, would you like a cookie?

As for this:

Wow.

If you want to be a mechanic. Otherwise... no.
      Those classes are bullshit. my employer could give a shit if i know the dates that the turks held Jerusalem etc.
      and who said you have to have a wife and kids?
      ________
      Honda cl175
      Last edited by dvs909; 03-03-2011, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Majikal View Post
        depends on your definition of a high horse... you're on the opposite end of the spectrum, he's saying "You need college", you're saying "no you don't"... technically YOU'RE on your own high horse as well as him.
        Like it was mentioned, college isn't for everybody,depending on what you want to do with your life... but me, being a full time student of engineering, couldn't do what I wanted in life without college... and yes, I will make substantially more money in my field for going through college... it's a fact.
        I also noted that I'm still in college. All I stated was that it's not for everyone - and don't think for one second that college makes you successful. YOU make you successful. That was my whole point. Not that I'm a baller for making it on my own - I'm certainly not. I need a degree for sure.
        "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by psloan View Post
          and don't think for one second that college makes you successful. YOU make you successful.
          that should be on a fucking hallmark card or something... thats beautiful man. lol

You're right there, college doesnt make you successful, but it damn sure makes it easier for you to become successful. (again, subject to career choice I guess)

Anyways, to OP: Congrats on finding something you like, and stick with that plan you've got going on!

Comment

Just a side note - college doesn't do shit. Period. I was at a strip club the other night and one of the dancers said she had a degree from The university of texas but couldn't find a job. I'm still in school and get paid more than alot of people. Plus, the average college grad makes between 30 and 40k a year. the average college student anticipates nearly 100k salary upon graduation. Jokes on you guys.
            The beauty of school is that I can tear apart your horrible argument here. College doesn't do shit? Right. I agree that it doesn't guarantee anything, and it depends on the work ethic of the person, but saying it doesn't do shit is just stupid. In our country more education = more money. That's a generalization, but it's pretty damn good evidence that you're wrong. Any Tom, Dick or Jane can get a degree, but that doesn't mean they'll excel in that field if it's not what they like.

And about math being bull shit, I'm just dumbfounded by this. Maybe because it's my second major, but that's just ludacris. Without math your job working on cars would not be possible. Math makes our world function like it does.

To the OP: I'm not trying to bash on people who do not go to a college, because that would be dumb too. You've found something you like, and that's all that really matters. I don't doubt that you'll make as much or more than you would have with some 4 year degree. And you'll enjoy going to your job. It really just depends on the person. Me, I'm a math and physics nerd, so I actually enjoy going to those types of classes, and I'll enjoy my career in engineering.

Comment

and don't think for one second that college makes you successful. YOU make you successful.
              And this is absolutely true.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                The beauty of school is that I can tear apart your horrible argument here. College doesn't do shit? Right. I agree that it doesn't guarantee anything, and it depends on the work ethic of the person, but saying it doesn't do shit is just stupid. In our country more education = more money. That's a generalization, but it's pretty damn good evidence that you're wrong. Any Tom, Dick or Jane can get a degree, but that doesn't mean they'll excel in that field if it's not what they like.

And about math being bull shit, I'm just dumbfounded by this. Maybe because it's my second major, but that's just ludacris. Without math your job working on cars would not be possible. Math makes our world function like it does.

To the OP: I'm not trying to bash on people who do not go to a college, because that would be dumb too. You've found something you like, and that's all that really matters. I don't doubt that you'll make as much or more than you would have with some 4 year degree. And you'll enjoy going to your job. It really just depends on the person. Me, I'm a math and physics nerd, so I actually enjoy going to those types of classes, and I'll enjoy my career in engineering.
                In your first paragraph you just went into more detail on my argument - so thank you. I completely agree. Having that said, I already noted that I need a degree. Unless you own your own business you WILL hit a plateau without a degree. And I never said math was bullshit.
                "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

College degree are more a badge of perseverance to employers. The first year or so of BS classes are discouraging, to "weed out" people, and then the upper level classes are what you want to learn, and much harder.

You have to do shit you don't like at work, and you have to do it well anyway, same thing with history for an engineer, just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can't get a good grade in it.

As for dealers, your best bet is to make lots of money with them. Independent shops can't pay their mechanics the same. I suggest you take your "apprentice time" or whatever they call it with a independent shop so you can see exactly how that works.

I worked at such a shop, replacing a guy going through the same program, and the mechanic hated him because he thought he knew what he was doing with his tech school training. Hands on real shop work can't be replaced by UTI. Work hard and take pride in your work and you can get to where you want to be.

Just keep in mind that there are those that can make lots of money, but they are less than 1% of all mechanics. If you really have an innate talent for the work, and a good business head, you can make more than I ever will as an engineer. Just don't expect to work less than 60 hours a week to get there.
                  '89 325i track sloot
                  '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Originally posted by whiltebeitel View Post

I worked at such a shop, replacing a guy going through the same program, and the mechanic hated him because he thought he knew what he was doing with his tech school training. Hands on real shop work can't be replaced by UTI. Work hard and take pride in your work and you can get to where you want to be.

I WILL NOT hire someone who comes in with a UTI shirt/uniform at my shop because of this, They NEVER work out, and ALWAYS know more than I/Shop does. It's so sad to see these young guys walk in with their 30K "knowledge" and 17 worthless S.O.P. Pins and shit, and it does not mean anything when you have to (really happened) show them that the bolt turns the other way.

If/When anyone attends a UTI tech school, as the guy that picks the new employee, DO NOT wear your uniform/hoodie into the shop, Collar shirt, tucked in, with clean hands/fingernails, and a lack of "I know it all, I went to UTI" attitude will get you farther than any UTI badging.

Comment

Originally posted by dvs909 View Post
                      Those classes are bullshit. my employer could give a shit if i know the dates that the turks held Jerusalem etc.

That's true, they just want you to get those 3 double venti mochalattechinos out on time without fucking up.

-Charlie
                      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                      FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                        I WILL NOT hire someone who comes in with a UTI shirt/uniform at my shop because of this, They NEVER work out, and ALWAYS know more than I/Shop does. It's so sad to see these young guys walk in with their 30K "knowledge" and 17 worthless S.O.P. Pins and shit, and it does not mean anything when you have to (really happened) show them that the bolt turns the other way.

If/When anyone attends a UTI tech school, as the guy that picks the new employee, DO NOT wear your uniform/hoodie into the shop, Collar shirt, tucked in, with clean hands/fingernails, and a lack of "I know it all, I went to UTI" attitude will get you farther than any UTI badging.
                        I got my job because I came, they told me they'd think about it, and I stayed and cleaned up shop and helped out until they all left.

Having a little guts to prove that you'll be worth their time and will do what they say seems to really be the ticket. the technical schools only help with a dealership job, which has so much bureaucracy it's necessary to have it that way.
                        '89 325i track sloot
                        '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Just a side note - college doesn't do shit. Period.
                          The day after I updated my resume on Monster with my degree, I got 11 interview offers. 11. Trust me, employers want to see a degree. A degree shows you can handle a multi-year commitment to a project with multiple objectives. They want a multifaceted individual. Your average HS graduate with just a HS diploma makes 22-24k/year.

-Charlie
                          '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                          FYYFF

Comment

I'm glad you found an enjoyable training experience. I was going to go to an automotive training school, but decided I didn't want to go that route, and to keep it as a hobby.

If any college helps you become successful, it's done it's job. Don't look at getting a JOB out of college or whenever you join "the workforce". Look at getting a CAREER. Big difference some people don't realize. I'll stop before I bore anyone, since basically I'm sounding like one of my companies' brochures.

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                            That's true, they just want you to get those 3 double venti mochalattechinos out on time without fucking up.

-Charlie
                            Quote of December.
                            Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                              The day after I updated my resume on Monster with my degree, I got 11 interview offers. 11. Trust me, employers want to see a degree. A degree shows you can handle a multi-year commitment to a project with multiple objectives. They want a multifaceted individual. Your average HS graduate with just a HS diploma makes 22-24k/year.

-Charlie

Jesus christ. Quit picking and choosing which part of my argument to defend. If you read everything I've written it will make good sense.

Comment

Jesus christ. Quit picking and choosing which part of my argument to defend. If you read everything I've written it will make good sense.
                                Don't throw such a lousy and ill-informed argument up there, and you wouldn't have to worry.

-Charlie
                                FYYFF

Comment

Working...
                                X