10 year F1 ban on engine development?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 year F1 ban on engine development?!?

FIA has just announced a 10-year ban on engine development in Formula One. Teams will have to submit an engine to FIA by March 31, 2008, which they will then have to use through 2017. Speaking about the decision, FIA President Max Mosley said, "There is no need to develop an F1 engine any further. The engine runs at…

FIA has just announced a 10-year ban on engine development in Formula One. Teams will have to submit an engine to FIA by March 31, 2008, which they will then have to use through 2017. Speaking about the decision, FIA President Max Mosley said, "There is no need to develop an F1 engine any further. The engine runs at 19,000 rpm, which is far faster than any comparable engine. It sounds good, it's reliable and amazingly the six partially frozen engines of the current manufacturers are really evenly matched."
    I don't know if it is official, will go through, or even true, .... but HUH?!?! I know teams are planning to develop new technologies in F1, such as competitive hybrid drivetrains technologies, but to lock engine development for 10 years doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Why not impose stiff regulations on engine development instead of locking it all together?

19,000 rpm V8s seems like a weird spec engine to me.
    San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

That's weak.
    sigpic
    "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Isn't the point of F1 to develop new technologies? What's the point of holding the same engine for 10 years.
      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

They have been talking about this for a while.

Remember people, F1 is a business, just like NASCAR. I imagine Bernie knows what he is doing and why from a marketing/$$ standpoint.
        Current Cars
        2014 M235i
        2009 R56 Cooper S
        1998 M3
        1997 M3

Comment

The FIA is deathly afraid of two things.

1. Having fast cars
          2. High manufacturing costs.

Max Mosley in his infinite wisdom is trying to look out for what is best for the sport. Thus making it slower/safer and keeping costs down to prevent teams such as Ferrari from completely dominating because they dump so money into their team. Such backing of a team by the mother company puts pressures on the "poor" teams such as Sauber and eventually leads to their decline (think Spyker).

Absolutely fucking retarded if you ask me. Especially considering Toyota and Honda cannot pull a decent car out of their ass and they have about a googalplex times more money than the lowly Ferrari.
          Originally posted by Teaguer
          Filling an Eta's tank with super unleaded will reach the cars maximum attainable performance level .

Aa a bonus filling the tank will also double any Eta's resale value .

Comment

This is one of the dumbest decisions in all of sports. Can you imagine what would happen if all car manufacturers would stop developing new engines for 10 years, as opposed to just GM?

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

10 years?! THat's a LONG ASS TIME! I could understand like...2-3 years or something. But, 10 years?! By then, shit, there will be so much new technology!

10 years is a long time. Seems like a shitty idea to me.
              - Sean Hayes

Comment

Wow, that's stupid, +1 on just regulating it further.

Originally posted by Raxe View Post
                This is one of the dumbest decisions in all of sports. Can you imagine what would happen if all car manufacturers would stop developing new engines for 10 years, as opposed to just GM?
                :rofl:
                sigpic

Comment

dumb idea. 2 to 3 years wont make sense either as teams will just have to wait that long to bring out the new stuff. with 10 years there no point developing stuff becuase it will be out of date within 2 or 3 years. F1 is supposed to be cutting edge, not racing 10 year old relics. Where does this stop? no tyre development, no more new aero aids?

Originally posted by Raxe View Post
                  lol

Comment

I think this is a good idea. it will prevent millions of dollars being spent every year. it will also lead to further aerodynamic tuning.
                    The only thing i have a problem with is some lower budget companies like Super Aguri don't have near as much engine budgeting and experience as BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes, and Renault do. I guess it doesn't make that big of gap since the minor teams still fun major engines (super aguri - honda, toro roso - ferrari, redbull - renualt)
                    However these minor teams still have a small budget to make personal tweaks.

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

do you seriously believe that nonsense? how come it isn't on any of the MAJOR automobile/racing websites?
                      a hoax of some sort i say.
                      ________
                      Hot box vaporizer
                      Last edited by dvs909; 03-03-2011, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dvs909 View Post
                        do you seriously believe that nonsense? how come it isn't on any of the MAJOR automobile/racing websites?
                        a hoax of some sort i say.
                        Maybe you should try reading?

Don't miss a Formula 1 moment – with the latest news, videos, standings and results. Go behind the scenes and get analysis straight from the paddock.

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

10 years is like 10,000 years in racing. Thats rediculous.

Mariano

2001 Titaniumsilber 540i Sport 6-Speed
                          1990 Diamantschwarz Alpha-N 2.5L ///M3
                          1986 Alpinweiss 325e M50B25 (R.I.P.)

-Talk to me when more sound comes from the induction than from the exhaust...

-Argentina........lo mas grande que hay.

Comment

NASCAR here we come.........

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

I think its a good idea. F1 banned alternative fuels for the same reason. Its not that they dont want ppl going faster, its just that safety equipment hasnt had a chance to keep up. So when it does catch up (10 years I think is their bet) the equipment will be on par.

Comment

Working...
                              X