Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you guys with cars equipped with stability control think it's dangerous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you guys with cars equipped with stability control think it's dangerous?

My 4Runner has the full bag, ABS, traction control and stability control. Toyota leaves these on by default and until the latest model year, ALL of them CANNOT be turned off. My truck is an exception because when you lock the center diff, the stability control turns off.

During the big snowstorm we had up here a month ago or so, I had a chance to experience the full power of them all. I've said it before and I'll die saying it - ABS must cause far more crashes than it prevents in SNOW. What the fuck do I need traction control in a 4800 lb 4WD SUV LSDs all around and a central locker, and 3ft tall tires? My M5 could have used it when I got caught in an ice storm in it, with a souped up S38, ZR tires and a 3.91 rear end but then nothing would have helped me then. The stability control on the other hand, I think is outright fucking dangerous!!!

I've had my share of skids, my E30 with NONE of the above has taught me plenty about dealing with them. It's the only car I've ever managed to spin on both the track and autox because it's lighter and handles better than anything I've ever had and my natural reaction of lifting when it oversteers has learned me but good. Here's an example of the lessons:

Some winter fun autocrossing, too bad I couldn't keep the car pointed the right way for 0.05s longer...

(you know you got no traction when you can make an eta peel out)

So now having had a lot of experience with FWD, RWD and 4WD in all conditions, I am reasonably comfortable in saying that provided I don't do anything too stupid where you close your eyes and put 2 feet in, I can save it. The E30 taught me to stay on the throttle. The 4Runner, while I had the VSC off with the center diff locked for donuts, taught me if it understeers, just turn more into the turn and goose it - things fix themselves.

Then driving home, I was turning into a small street slowly and I wasn't going expecially fast, but I hit a slick spot and started understeering at a good pace. No problem, nothing compared to what I did in the parking lot, turn the wheel and goose it... NOTHING. Fucking VSC starts jacking off the brakes, cuts me off from the throttle and goes over the motherfucking curb!

The curb was only a few inches high and with the 265/70/17s nothing happened but I was SO FUCKING ANGRY!!! Toyota has apparently decided that in times of greatest need for driver input, it's going to cut me right the fuck off!!! I mean the only thing worse it could have done was also control the steering wheel and put it right into a goddamn utility pole.

Today it snowed again and I just drove around with the center diff locked. It understeered sometimes sure, easy save. Each time made me think that with the VSC, if I was going any faster and in a dangerous place, I'd be going into a tree or a parked car. It also made me want to write this.

How fucking bad of a driver do you have to be for these things to actually HELP you? I've driven all sorts of shit in my life, american, jap, german, not once have I come across an ABS system that didn't make the stopping distance at least twice as long as it would have been if I just skidded with the wheels locked IN THE SNOW (I want to make the clear distinction because I do think it helps a lot in the rain). I don't know about the 450HP C63 or anything, never driven one, but I can launch a car better in the snow in 2nd gear than any fucking traction control system. And the VSC, as far as I'm concerned, is a lawsuit waiting to happen. If instead of that curb there was a kid sitting there, I'd be calling up my lawyers to have a good long chat in a courtroom with Toyota over who gets to control my car - me or the fucking computer. But since they've now put in off switches, I'm guessing someone already has.
    Yeah, it's a death trap.
    16.67%
    Not really, but it needs an off switch.
    37.50%
    No way, it has saved my ass plenty.
    8.33%
    Depends, have you seen some of the drivers out there? Do you want them being able to turn it off?
    37.50%

That's just plain stupid.
    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Car companies and lawyers are scared to death of oversteer. So are most american (shitty) drivers. They would much rather have the car default out and understeer into something, where the crush zones & airbags can save you, than have it loop around, catch something and roll.

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

My Xterra has a diff locker, however I can turn traction off whenever I want, and in the snow I turn it off instantly... With it on I cannot stand the computer getting in the way.

That was another killer for Toyota as well, unable to turn traction off..

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
          My Xterra has a diff locker, however I can turn traction off whenever I want, and in the snow I turn it off instantly... With it on I cannot stand the computer getting in the way.

That was another killer for Toyota as well, unable to turn traction off..
          There's gotta be a way to fudge it. I know for the IS350 there's literally a cheat code you can execute to make it turn off...

Comment

my moms lexus lx470 is amazing in the snow. you can be the worst driver ever and still not ever lose control,it doesn't have traction control or stability control, just a really good AWD system, it uses accumulators instead of shocks. makes drifting very easy and fun. if you lock the center differential you can drive sideways forever.

7speedshop.com

Comment

I have DSC on my x5 as well as self-leveling suspension. When i turn it off, the thing is certainly a bit tail happy in the wet. I wouldn't trust someone like say my mother (or probably any of yours either!;)) driving that big SOB in the wet reasonably aggressively without some help from the car.

On the other hand, I really don't like the fact that the car tries to interfere with what I'm doing if I'm making corrections if it's sliding. I go to modulate the throttle or couter steer, but my balance is all shot to hell because the DSC has started trying to slow the wheels that are loose.

There just needs to be a way to switch it off - but as the post says - I'd rather not have some people be able to turn it off.
              PNW Crew
              90 m3
              06 m5

Comment

My Yukon Denali XL has it and honestly its a waist of time. We hardly have weather bad enough here to warrant having it but honestly it gets in my way when in a situation where it activates. But I can at least turn it off when needed. I find myself turning it off regularly when on a real twisty road as the damn computer is freaking out constantly while on those kinds of roads.

Comment

According to Jeremy Clarkson, Mercedes TCS has an off switch but "Because it's a Mercedes it's not really off". What does he mean by that? He does it everytime he drives a Benz.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Toyota has apparently decided that in times of greatest need for driver input, it's going to cut me right the fuck off!!!
                    those systems are not made for those who have the skills to be able to control the car in dangerous/unpredictable situations. this is the FIRST thing you must realize before making your claims. this doesn't mean that i don't agree with you...i do...but there are so many drivers who would be perfectly content with being able to let go and let the car drive you. IMO, there are far too many things that have been invented to save us from ourselves, and it is leading to the deterioration of basic skills in todays society because, frankly, we don't need those skills anymore; there's a machine to take care of that.

soon enough, the robots will take over and i will be there waiting, ready to revolt.
                    BRUTE

Comment

yeah, thank god most american driven cars are fwd lol.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by GarrettM View Post
                        According to Jeremy Clarkson, Mercedes TCS has an off switch but "Because it's a Mercedes it's not really off". What does he mean by that? He does it everytime he drives a Benz.
                        Mercedes' have TCS OFF buttons, but they don't really turn them off, I haven't messed around with them long enough to see how much OFF they go. There is also a second level off, which can only be activated with the car not running and pressing a secret sequence of buttons on the car's dash. This second level OFF, will turn off absolutely everything electronic, even ABS, leaving nothing but the benz's open diff to allow you to peg leg.
                        R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Originally posted by 92 mtechnic cabrio View Post
                          Mercedes' have TCS OFF buttons, but they don't really turn them off, I haven't messed around with them long enough to see how much OFF they go. There is also a second level off, which can only be activated with the car not running and pressing a secret sequence of buttons on the car's dash. This second level OFF, will turn off absolutely everything electronic, even ABS, leaving nothing but the benz's open diff to allow you to peg leg.
                          I've found both good and bad sides to the ESP in my w208 clk430.

Pros:
                          1. LA streets are covered in oil, and in a city where left turns take place on yellow/red, it's nice to have the ESP compensate wheelspin in heavy traffic situations. It's not that I'm lazy and can't control my vehicle in the event of oversteer, but why drive like a TOTAL prick, especially when you have people in your car?

2. 0-60 Times: Many benz drivers report their 0-60 times are more consistent and often quicker when the ESP is left ON. Apparently, when it comes to shifting/wheelspin in a Mercedes, you're best leaving it all to the computer sometimes. Again, this is just my knowledge with the w208 specifically, and a huge factor here is the size of your rear tires because the ESP reduces torque when traction loss is detected. Not sure what this says about benz drivers =\.

3. Lazy peace of mind, especially when someone else is driving my car.

4. I've noticed I get in fewer arguments with my girlfriend when ESP is on. Now call me crazy, but there's definitely a correlation here.

Cons:
                          1. Driver/Vehicle separation. So much for being "one" with your car. So what if the ESP can detect the slightest bit of oversteer microseconds before I can?

2. Does it really turn off? I've been sideways with the ESP turned off and on several occasions the "ESP!" light will blink after being fully lit. What gives?

Oh well, all can be avoided with a BMW ;).

Dangerous? Not really. Annoying? Certainly.

Here are the common names for the different types of TCS/ESP etc.

• Audi: Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
                          • BMW: Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
                          • DaimlerChrysler (Mercedes Benz): Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
                          • Ford Motor Company: Advance Trac
                          • General Motors: Active Handling System (Corvette)
                          • Precision Control System (Oldsmobile), Stabilitrak (Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac)
                          • Jaguar: Dynamic Stability Control (DSM)
                          • Lexus: Vehicle Skid Control (VSC)
                          • Porsche: Porsche Stability Management (PSM)
                          • Volkswagen: Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
                          • Volvo: Dynamic Stability Traction Control (DTSC)
                          Last edited by s0urce; 01-02-2008, 12:14 AM.
                          tasty

Comment

Working...
                          X