Replacement for winter vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement for winter vehicle

~2 years ago I bought a 97 Explorer V8 for a winter DD. It gets 16mpg.

So what can I replace it with? I'm thinking maybe a Subaru Legacy wagon? It needs to be AWD, whatever I get. I like the interior room of the Explorer for hauling car parts and stuff, so it needs to have a big trunk area of some sort.

I'm looking to spend under $5k, but would consider more. It doesn't have to be pretty. But it does have to be VERY reliable, easy and cheap to work on, and get 25+ mpg.

Suggestions?
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Ix?

Comment

Nahh, need a bit more room. I like being able to fold the seats down in the Exploder, and loading up big stuff like tires, engines and bumpers and stuff. I do a lot of junkyard trips, and am constantly getting new tires mounted for the track car.
      Being able to hold 8 tires easily is a must

Comment

An IX and a utility trailer?

But really.... some sort of wagon I suppose... Volvo perhaps?

Comment

i have a 97 legacy sedan and love it. you would definetly need the wagon though. as for gas milage, i only get around 20-22 but mine is an auto. great in the snow, which is the main reason i bought it. my 4runner was just too expensive with the gas. :s
          but if you don't need AWD, there are probably some other options like an old volvo that would get a bit better gas milage.

Comment

Volvo Cross Country VC70 Turbo.
            My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
            There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

It's a winter/bad weather vehicle, so all wheel drive would be the purpose. And yes, wagon or mini-suv-type-thing is a must, I need nearly the same room my Explorer had.

20-22 mpg with the legacy? Hmmm... That's not enough of an improvement for me to ditch the Explorer.

I don't think anything is going to satisfy me...

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                It doesn't have to be pretty...
                -Dave
                2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

It's a winter/bad weather vehicle, so all wheel drive would be the purpose. And yes, wagon or mini-suv-type-thing is a must, I need nearly the same room my Explorer had.

20-22 mpg with the legacy? Hmmm... That's not enough of an improvement for me to ditch the Explorer.

I don't think anything is going to satisfy me...
                  yeah thats the 2.5 with auto, theres gotta be something wrong with it, i just can't figure out what! they're rated at higher than that and most people get higher. the older ones get better milage though i think.

Comment

Jeep cheroke classic, lots of room, good 4x4, if in good runnig order get decent fuel mileage and are cheaper and easier to fix than any scoubi I have worked on.

5k will get you a pretty good 1 they can be had from 800 bucks.
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                      Jeep cheroke classic, lots of room, good 4x4, if in good runnig order get decent fuel mileage and are cheaper and easier to fix than any scoubi I have worked on.

5k will get you a pretty good 1 they can be had from 800 bucks.

A Cherokee is gonna get 25 mpg?

Comment

Forrester?

Comment

AWD is gonna make it tough to find something getting that kind of mileage, esp under $5k

I have an interesting philosophy with winter cars, there's an auto donation center around here thats beater central. I'd say find some old 4 banger FWD wagon, make sure its at least somewhat mechanically sound and buy it for $400. Throw some cheap snows on it, run the crap out of it for a year or two, off road it, drive into curbs dumpsters, push broken down cars around with it, etc and when it blows up or the neighbors call the township on the eyesore, junk it and get $200.
                          -Dave

Comment

A Cherokee is gonna get 25 mpg?

The 2.5 4 banger My buddy had got 18ish with a 50/50 mixed driving and 23ish Highway for longer trips.
                            Originally posted by Fusion
                            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                            William Pitt-

Comment

Actually in all seriousness if that AMC did come with a 4 cyl (I honestly forget, or blocked it out) it might be the closest match.

It will also probably be the slowest thing you will have ever driven, riding mowers included.
                              -Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X