No announcement yet.

Replacement for winter vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think those AMC Eagle's did come in I4 and I6 motors.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
        I think those AMC Eagle's did come in I4 and I6 motors.
        God those must be awful. I remember the I6 I drove, watching paint dry was more action packed than watching the speedometer.
        -Dave
        2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

They did, I just did a bunch of research on them. That's number 1 on my list right now. It's got ground clearance, AWD, room, the "I don't give a fuck" look, and looks like they can get 23 or better mpg.

Just gotta find one local to drive, make sure I don't hate it TOO bad.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            They did, I just did a bunch of research on them. That's number 1 on my list right now. It's got ground clearance, AWD, room, the "I don't give a fuck" look, and looks like they can get 23 or better mpg.

Just gotta find one local to drive, make sure I don't hate it TOO bad.
            I will say in their favor, they are a very well built chassis and 4wd system. Its a truck someone plopped a station wagon on top of.
            -Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
              God those must be awful. I remember the I6 I drove, watching paint dry was more action packed than watching the speedometer.
              I couldn't imagine it with the I4. But i never really heard anyone say nothing bad about the Eagle wagon. Other then it's looks and lack of power. I only had one AMC. It was a 70 AMX with a 390. After owning that car. I will never say anything bad about AMC or Rambler again.

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Parts supply has to be a bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by SchnellerVert View Post
                  Parts supply has to be a bitch.

Nah, AMC has used the same engines since the dawn of internal combustion, and the design lived on until just a couple years ago in modern Jeep products. Stuff is actually pretty cheap for them.
                  -Dave

Comment

For what it's worth, I have a manual 95 Subaru Legacy wagon with the 2.2 and AWD I use for winter/skiing/DD duty, and I love it. I used to autocross the thing before I bought my e30. I average 23mpg in hard driving, and have seen close to 29+ hwy mpg. My commute is entirely city driving so I'm pleased when I get 23mpg average or close to it. When I took it to a HPDE school I averaged 18mpg on the tank despite hauling ass around turns and accelerating as much as it can(it's still slow).

If you want to have a highly entertaining winter car, buy a manual scoobaru and then install swaybars. It's stupid easy to pull off rally style turns with studded tires and swaybars on that car. I would definitely recommend it.

If gas mileage is more important than room, get a Subaru impreza wagon with the 1.8L engine- my buddy has an autotragic fwd sedan and averages 33mpg with that combo, with awd I imagine it would be closer to 29-30mpg avg.
                    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                    X