Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric View Post
    to fly an airplane in the military you have to have a bachelors degree (minus army helicopters) so a recruiting office wont get you any closer.

to soften up your mom, take a page out of the Dems ass-pound america playbook. Start college and she will be estatic, then take and ROTC class. She will be worried, but you can tell her it's for more discipline that you didn't get in the previous adm... er... high school. Then take ground school and a couple flights cause it seams interesting, she will be worried but appreciate your willingness to try new things. Finally begin the propiganda campaign about all the positive aspects of being a military aviator... Officers pay, Flight pay, retention bonuses, cool aviators, pick up chicks at the bar when they ask; "your in the Air force? are you a pilot?" Free education with a skill usable outside the military, serving your country. But be sure to pull the blanket over all the negatives; super high divorce rate, having to live with the fact that you kill people for money (PTSD), never at home, long hours, pooping in your flight suit, STD's from whores who think your Tom Cruise, and the underlying insecurity knowing that every body else on base who isn't wearing pajamas thinks your a cocky douche.

Before you know it your mom will be waiving an american flag with one hand while holding a picture of you wearing your new jolly green bag in the other.:drink:
    please tell me more about the pooping in your flightsuit part.

Comment

As a junior officer when I was spending 10 months/year deployed, no-shit underway in the middle of nowhere (we didn't even have e-mail on ships back then!) I thought there was NO WAY I'd go to 20 and retire.

Now I'll be retiring in 6 months.

Best thing I ever did!

I'll be getting a fat check and medical care for the rest of my life. Plus, I can get cheap beer at the local VFW halls and tell lies about the Balkans, The Gulf War (the original and the sequel) and Dirka-dirka stan.

I'm also hoping for the "disabled veteran" license plate that may help with tickets...

Comment

It's impossible to do.. just got back from a cross-country flight to Charleston, SC for the weekend. Lots of long hours in the jet. (stuck in Austin last night=8-), landing with minimum fuel=:(, breaking out of the weather at 350 ft was not cool either)

oh- and first solo flight in the jet was last week.. supercool.

Originally posted by hugh jass View Post
        please tell me more about the pooping in your flightsuit part.
        sigpic89 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Ral View Post
          , landing with minimum fuel=:(, breaking out of the weather at 350 ft was not cool either).
          You broke out at 350 and landed with min fuel?? Was is it your alternate?

, oh- and first solo flight in the jet was last week.. supercool.
          Congrats!

Comment

yes.. we originally planned on landing in Houston from Mobile, AL but instead continued on to Austin after hearing reports that the last 2 planes that had tried never broke out.

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
            You broke out at 350 and landed with min fuel?? Was is it your alternate?

Congrats!
            sigpic89 M3

Comment

Originally posted by hugh jass View Post
              I'm flying into Seatac tomorrow at 9, hopefully I'll see it at Boeing Field getting ready if the weather isn't too overcast.
              It's leaving Paine Field around 10am and will probably land at Boeing Field 4-5 hours later, if everything goes well.

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
              Aren't they flying it to South Carolina?
              wat

the second production line will be in SC--further rewarding the employees of vought and global aeronotica for their piss-poor assembly practices

Comment

Today I had an incentive flight on a KC-135!

I had a great time up there, and want to be a CEA now more than ever!

Here are some pictures i snapped...

I guess the reserves are more leanient than AD:hitler:

Huge no-no, two heads down and no one looking outside. There is no AD mentality in the air, Fly it professionally {in clothes} hats who really cares. Unless you have a checkride in progress from HQ or ASEV happening. We wear morale patches and hats all the time. Just don't walk into weather or base ops with em on.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

just watched the first flight of the Dreamliner today.. cool stuff.

sigpic89 M3

Comment

It's impossible to do.. just got back from a cross-country flight to Charleston, SC for the weekend. Lots of long hours in the jet. (stuck in Austin last night=8-), landing with minimum fuel=:(, breaking out of the weather at 350 ft was not cool either)

Hell, you were 150ft above minimums for an ILS. No sweat. ;-)

Congrats on the solo.

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                    Huge no-no, two heads down and no one looking outside. There is no AD mentality in the air, Fly it professionally {in clothes} hats who really cares. Unless you have a checkride in progress from HQ or ASEV happening. We wear morale patches and hats all the time. Just don't walk into weather or base ops with em on.
                    Heads down depends on the flight environment, yes? If you are ILS, then it is not a bad thing. Situational awareness is critical. If both are focusing on the same task, then yeah, that can be bad. If you are tactical, then one set of eyes has to be outside all the time. I doubt this aircraft goes tactical much though :D
                    1987 E30 325is
                    1999 E46 323i
                    RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                    oo=[][]=oo

Comment

I should post photos of what my flight deck looked like trans-oceanic. Charts covering all the windows to keep the sun out, speakers on the glare shield, magazines, laptops...

As long as someone is monitoring the fuel/gauges and listening for SELCAL what else is there to do?

Comment

Congrats on the Solo!

I don't claim to know everything, but saying it's impossible is a bit much. Especially after I got drunk with my buddy a few years back who's job was to rig up the pilots with g-suits, piddle bags, evac stuff, etc. He was tramatized that night after having his first "full" back come back. Apparently Mr. Pilot didn't agree with his schnitzel and the situation in the air made for an unfortunate situation. He said it happens often in combat...

The Major's head was on a swivel the entire flight, i think the camera just captured the split second both of them were looking down. Besides, don't you cargo guys just sleep the whole flight anyways? :zzz::zzz::zzz:
                        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

I was down on Paine field, just off the runway. It was epic. The wing flex was amazing!

just watched the first flight of the Dreamliner today.. cool stuff.

Comment

Yes and No on the sleep thing. Yes we are the most rested but work the hardest as well.

USAF frowns bigtime on both heads down regardless of environment. Yes maps are hung everywhere but normally one is looking outside.

Selcal blah we finally have aero I thing is sweet, except for when it fails which is 1/3 of the time.

Comment

Yes and No on the sleep thing. Yes we are the most rested but work the hardest as well.

USAF frowns bigtime on both heads down regardless of environment. Yes maps are hung everywhere but normally one is looking outside.

Selcal blah we finally have aero I thing is sweet, except for when it fails which is 1/3 of the time.

My former supervisor's wife and frequent baby sitter for my Son took a space-a hop a few months back. she was the only pax on the plane so the pilots had her sit in the jump seat up front. she passed out as soon as the engines started, but woke back up sometime when they were in the air. She freaked out when she saw both pilots with their boots off, feet on the dash and completely passed out!

Selcal blah we finally have aero I thing is sweet
                              huh?
                              My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

My former supervisor's wife and frequent baby sitter for my Son took a space-a hop a few months back. she was the only pax on the plane so the pilots had her sit in the jump seat up front. she passed out as soon as the engines started, but woke back up sometime when they were in the air. She freaked out when she saw both pilots with their boots off, feet on the dash and completely passed out!

huh?
                                I don't want to know.

Comment

Working...
                                X