No announcement yet.

Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine owns the airport where this plane crashed this morning. Everyone survived, but I think the pilot will need to polish up his resume as he just crashed his company's brand new 7 passenger turbo prop plane on the first flight.

Comment

whats going on guys? I miss this thread lets revive it!

Last week I just got checked out a on this bad boy:

Its a 2000 172 SP, and is quite a step up from the older, worn out 172F I was flying. It's even got autopilot!

This past summer I racked up about 350 nav hours while I was deployed. Anyone else doing any flying?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerboy08 View Post
        whats going on guys? I miss this thread lets revive it!

Last week I just got checked out a on this bad boy:

Its a 2000 172 SP, and is quite a step up from the older, worn out 172F I was flying. It's even got autopilot!
        I got checked out in an SP a few weeks ago. It's Ok; still doesn't climb like a 182 and the autopilot wasn't that good. I'd rather fly manual.

I need to learn the G1000. (I still fly ADF)

Comment

havent flown in a while now, but i just joined my local CG aux unit (similar to CAP). They are going to help me get my BFR on the cheap through some of the other pilots/CFI's that are there, and after that i can stay current through them. Its volunteer, but I wont have to pay to put hours in my log book. wish I would have known about this years ago. Cant wait to get current again! :D
          sigpic

Comment

Saw this thread at the top today and decided to throw in some pictures from this week. I'm in flight training right now, and they had a Helo fly-in for the guys in helo advanced to demo what's around the corner for them when they get through with training. My flight for the day got scrubbed so I went down and was looking at a few of the choppers on the tarmac. I also got a ride in an older SH-60B and also got to fly it for about 20 minutes; my first time flying a helo and it was pretty sick, but I still think I prefer fixed wing. Awesome day none the less. Enjoy this pics, guys!

MH-60R, brand new to the Navy

AH-1...gotta love the snake!

This was pretty cool to see, brand new Huey, 4 blade main and tail rotor, the UH-1Y

SH-60F

HH-65, Coasties representin'.

My ugly mug after my flight in the 60B. Great day!

Comment

^Great post, thanks for sharing :D

Ohioriders.com
              OhioBimmers.com

Comment

No prob! Here's a sweet video of a Hornet demo....it may be Swiss, but it is still awesome, haha!

http://vimeo.com/29983912

Comment

This is awsome. I just enlisted as an AD so ill see all the Navy guys soon.

Comment

Congrats, I'll see you in the fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by gkurey View Post
                      Congrats, I'll see you in the fleet.

A Red Not!

Just kidding, VT-6/HT-18 here. Nice to see pictures of Whiting.

I flew SH-60Bs, SH-60Fs & HH-60 Hotels before going fixed-wing.

Having flown props, jets and helos I can say with authority that HELOS ROCK! (especially LAMPS).

Nothing like hoisting the Dutch Admiral down to his ship and seeing boobies on the O-4 level. Or flying into the crater of Mt. Vesuvius. Or blasting dead sheep in the Arabian Gulf with the M-60 because they bloat, float upside down and look like mines.

also, that's a Swamp Fox Romeo (HSL-44). My old squadron!

Comment

VT-3....are you guys flying the T-6 now, or still T-34C? I heard Whiting is nearly all T-6's now anyway. How soon you select?

I've personally been flying my ass off lately.....bagged my 10 day and 6 night traps last month in the Hornet on the Carl Vinson, and then have been finishing up my last few syllabus air-to-air flights since then. Should be done with the FRS next week, weather and maintenance permitting.......15 months later it's about damn time :)
                        e92 M3
                        e30 M3 s52 swap
                        w203 C240 wagon (DD)
                        190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

My buddy and I go flying all the time, thought I would share. I am not a pilot....

The lead sled -

Boise State University -

Buzzing home base -

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

thought I would contribute a bit. This is what I fly

Untitled by drifterpenguin, on Flickr

Cool photo i took cutting through a storm at FL270, smooth ride the whole way!

Untitled by drifterpenguin, on Flickr
                            Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

Nice, Lears would be fun I'd think. Second pic reminds me of yesterday flying home from the 2301W range out at Yuma. Nice line of unusual socal thunderstorms along the way...I had split up with my lead for individual ASR's back to Miramar, and all of a sudden when I was getting near a nice little anvil, both my radios almost went dead with static. I was thinking to myself, having had trouble with them for the previous hour, WTF, don't do this to me right now. Then it dawned on me that this is what people always talk about hearing right before they get hit with lightning. Got a quick vector from socal around the storm, picked up some of the quickest icing I've experienced yet (luckily had the inlet and pitot heats on), and then broke out into a nice sunny day.....strange weather we've been having. As icing on the cake, about 15 mins after I shut down and walked to maintenance to do post flight stuff, one of the linemen reported that the cockpit of my jet was on fire. Big ass arcing electrical fire had finally burned through just behind the ejection seat in a little storage area we call the hell hole. No electrical power on the jet, and it was still burning. I had a stiff drink when I got home, thinking about what might have happened had it reared its ugly head about 15 mins earlier.......there is really no feasible way of flying a hornet and landing without electrical power, so that would have been really sporty....
                              e92 M3
                              e30 M3 s52 swap
                              w203 C240 wagon (DD)
                              190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

Are you flying with OBOGS?

What's the difference between the Hornet system and F-22? (ignoring the fact that Hornet works and F-22... well, doesn't..)

Comment

Working...
                                X