Toyota Prius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s0urce View Post
    Fuck these ultra complex hybrids. Weight Reduction is far more efficient.
    Complex? It has many simple efficient concepts that don't include sacrificing safety or room. It has an electric motor, regenerative braking (creates electricity from the frictional kinetic energy from braking), and auto on/off (it does not idle at stop lights, petrol engine shuts off after 5 seconds of stand still).

It's a concept that's been around for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chap0223 View Post
      Complex? It has many simple efficient concepts that don't include sacrificing safety or room. It has an electric motor, regenerative braking (creates electricity from the frictional kinetic energy from braking), and auto on/off (it does not idle at stop lights, petrol engine shuts off after 5 seconds of stand still).

I didn't mention safety or room. And yes, a hybrid IS more complex than a regular "common" vehicle. Meaning, it's a complex vehicle compared to non hybrid vehicles. Not complex compared to YOUR understanding of the topic.
      tasty

Comment

Originally posted by s0urce View Post
        Fuck these ultra complex hybrids. Weight Reduction is far more efficient.
        Yep, just look at Stu for example-- He has a 235 horse motor in a 318is and averages ~31+ mpg.

Comment

Mini coopers get like 35 MPG on the highway, and theyre not fag mobiles (the S isnt at least), 335d is about 35 MPG hwy, and so on. Dont gotta drive a piece of shit hybrid to do well.
          Originally posted by blunt
          i would jerk larry king off while tonging jflips ass if h0lmes would blow his head off

Comment

35mpg on either premium or diesel. Its well documented that diesel is damn near 5 dollars a gallon. For 35mpg, i'll stick with gas.

Comment

I work for Toyota, and own a MINI and an e30 - after driving many a Prius and meeting happy owner after happy owner getting a real world 50mpg - I'd buy one if I could afford a gas sipping commuter on top of my toys.

Rear backup camera with built in screen, all sorts of information readouts, roomy, comfortable...I really like em!

Trees aren't bad either ;)

BUT: I had a customer who traded her Prius in for a new Yaris. She drive's 230 miles A DAY all highway, back and forth to a job. Don't ask me why. In any case, the Yaris is getting better mileage than the Prius did all highway, apparently. Small 4-cylinders are better for mostly highway driving, hybrids are good for old people who never see a freeway, or never leave the retirement complex (may as well just get a golf kart at that point :) )

PS - there are DEFINITELY snobby people driving these cars - one guy came in and argued with me that every time he fills the car he gets different mileage and puts different amounts in (one time was 8.5 gallons, one was 9.5 gallons, both at roughly the same remaining gas levels) Though I took the time to explain to him the "bladder style" gas tank, I wanted to knock his teeth in - the car had 887 MILES ON IT - he had only filled up twice for fuck's sake, give it a few thousand miles you prick!
              Last edited by ethirdy; 06-13-2008, 08:38 PM.
              Originally posted by alpinaclone
              Since the real economy is in the shitter, I say we start our own.

This is how it works; you buy my junk, then I will buy more junk and so on so forth etc. etc. Think of the future of your children and buy my stuff.

Comment

If your travel is mainly city, which is pretty much anyone these days. Its easy to get 50mpg without being in super-granny mode. Like said earlier, its a learning curve. There are quite a few tricks out there to help squeak out mpg's.

Comment

Originally posted by ethirdy View Post
                  PS - there are DEFINITELY snobby people driving these cars - one guy came in and argued with me that every time he fills the car he gets different mileage and puts different amounts in (one time was 8.5 gallons, one was 9.5 gallons, both at roughly the same remaining gas levels) Though I took the time to explain to him the "bladder style" gas tank, I wanted to knock his teeth in - the car had 887 MILES ON IT - he had only filled up twice for fuck's sake, give it a few thousand miles you prick!
                  same when I was in Nissan service. Some tall dude (I mean liky 6'7 tall) bought an Altima Hybrid. He drove it about 200 miles round trip every day. He said his fuel economy was only about 30 MPG IIRC. Kinda shitty when My TI which only cost me $4k was getting about 25-28 mpg IIRC. Fuck people who think since they bought a new car, service needs to kiss their ass. Glad Im out of service....
                  i would jerk larry king off while tonging jflips ass if h0lmes would blow his head off

Comment

I'll keep my ETA, thanks.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

bitch its called gas

Comment

VWs are shit. They have a plant in Mexico...
                        I have been driving and looking after my Mom's TDi beetle for 7 years now. I is one of the most well built cars I have ever been in. My family full of giant fat people bombard it daily. We will literally drive the wheels off. It is an automatic and gets well into the 40's. The manual transmissions obviously can get better.

We drive on country roads all the time and torque that the diesel provides is useful from the mountains of Georgia to crowded streets in Atlanta.

I would recommend a Diesel VW to anyone who wants a car that will never let you down. Also, there many more mechanics that know how to work on one than the Prius'. (Unless you are a hybrid techie). (Unlikely)

Comment

Fat people in a beetle LOL. Nissans have pieces of shit made in Mexico also.

Comment

Originally posted by diesch View Post
                            Also, there many more mechanics that know how to work on one than the Prius'. (Unless you are a hybrid techie). (Unlikely)
                            Every new tech at the dealership i work for knows the prius inside and out. About 90% of the shit that would need to be maintained on the prius, all of the techs could do. It is still essentially a car after all.

Comment

Interesting thread. My Family has had at least one since 2008. Currently we have 2 (my Brother has a 2011, we have a 2015)

We also have a 2018 Camry hybrid and my Parents have a 2015 Fusion hybrid. It has 44k and is at the dealer getting a new hybrid battery under warranty. None of our Toyota hybrids batteries has died before 113k (we had an 07 Camry that Toyota good willed 3 months and 3k out of warranty.

In conclusion the Toyota hybrids are good.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

First gen Insight or GTFO.

Comment

Working...
                                X